Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Face.com - Not Facebook, just Face

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
currently 175K

18 months from now 50-75K

why? Will people stop using the term face or will we get invaded by faceless aliens?

This is not a newly coined term like Spyware.com. I can't see any reason why it would lose value (never heard of .coms losing value), unless you're indicating that Facebook would lose value over time, and hence this name.

steven22

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would rather own 1/20 of spyware.com than 100% of face.com

Face is a generic one word name but how do you monetize it? Can you build a 20 million dollar company around it with no outside advertising? I don't think so. This name is short, a real word, and not much to it besides that.

Now, spyware.com....sheesh....easily a few million in revenue a year with not a penny more ever spent.

Regardless, I think there is a portion of the existing traffic as a direct result of facebook.com.

I always ask myself these 3 questions:

1. Can I get a better more targeted name for the same amount of money

2. How much more do I need to spend to market the name?

3. How do you build something on this name and properly monetize it?

I think this name if it was bought in the XXX,XXX rage will go down as an expensive name that was acquired in bubblicious times when people were overpaying for these type of names.

Regardless....great name and best of luck with it.

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Regardless, I think there is a portion of the existing traffic as a direct result of facebook.com.

My guess would be close to 3/4 of the existing traffic stems from Facebook.com.
In my opinion, this is definitely not a 7 digit domain. It's a great generic name for sure, but pretty limited in potential uses.

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
and your 100% not qualified to appraise a domain...

....and you are 100% AWESOME!! Seriously!

I love it when some clown who owns premium domains like cancernews.mobi, Myspacetopten.com, onlinepokerscam.com, and worldcup2010tours.COM has the balls to criticize others for stating opinions (in an appraisal thread no less) they don't agree with. As if you were THE man!

I have an idea! Why don't you go start another cancer thread or something....

Yeah!!

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem with Spyware.com is that its a made up term. It did not exist in the English language.

Suppose you buy Spyware.com for $1 million, hoping to make enough money via PPC to get a ROI.

Now suppose the day after you buy it, a new threat called "badware" surfaces on the internet. People panic and searches for "badware" sky rocket, while spyware is forgotten. Your million dollar investment loses its value overnight.

Face.com won't lose its value. Sure, right now its price may be a bit inflated, but its still justified.

I believe that one very important factor working in its favor is branding. A domain name is a brand, not just an address. Think of what MS did with Live.com (a very similar name). Pure branding. Live.com is now one of the most recognized brands on the internet.

So IMO, yes, 7 figures is a bit inflated. But mid to high 6 figures is very possible

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think thenorthface.com might spit out a mil for face.com,
half of the "face" searches are looking for them anyway.

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I love it when some clown who owns premium domains like cancernews.mobi, Myspacetopten.com, onlinepokerscam.com, and worldcup2010tours.COM has the balls to criticize others for stating opinions (in an appraisal thread no less) they don't agree with. As if you were THE man!

Yeah!!
/Quoted for truth

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fight Fight Fight Fight

packeted

DNF Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$1m+ IMHO.. just trying to think whether I'd rather have this, or invest.com which recently sold and can't make my mind up! It's an academic question anyway..

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Yeah!!

:lol:

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, is anybody making these $250K - 1 Million+ appraisals going to step up and buy this gem? Hhhhhmmmm...

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, is anybody making these $250K - 1 Million+ appraisals going to step up and buy this gem? Hhhhhmmmm...
Once I acquire "The North face" company I will buy the domain for a mil, I swear !

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I will......

When I have a spare 200k+ laying around. :yes:

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Indeed ... anyway thread is old from last August ... when the domain was sold for 6 figures...
Someone brought thread back from the grave

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators