• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed FieldCommander.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevesko

DNF Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
359
Reaction score
0
Any ideas for what I can get for FieldCommander.com?

I have owned it for several years and now sony is making a ps2/psp game of that name. Google has 13,300,000 competing.
 
Just parked it yesterday and threw some good links at it to get it pagereank.
 
sony is intersted - what do you think I should ask?
 
10K - it's Sony and it's a nice general term
 
You guys have gotta be kidding!!! SONY IS INTERESTED!!!

List it with SEDO, contact Jay and let them broker the deal. Probably low $xxx,xxx. THIS IS HOT!!! You might get mid $xxx,xxx

Dave44
 
Um, be careful. Just because they are interested doesn't mean thay will want to get into a massive auction. You want to play your cards right. Ask them to go first, and feel them out. You could get a lot of money, but you have to be careful how you go about doing it.

www.HalfLife.com is a prime example of what happens when you ask for too much from a gaming company. You get to keep the name. :-)

Although, if you made a good landing page that could be a very lucrative option as well, but that depends on the success of the game. You are probably best coming up with a number you feel is fair, and shooting for that.
 
I completely agree with 007
you should (and probably will) get a lot of money (relatively speaking). But ask for too much, and they will use an alternative.
Have Sedo broker it for you, or, ask for something reasonable.
I would start at $10K, but thats just an indicator and nothing else.
 
seeker said:
I would start at $10K, but thats just an indicator and nothing else.

Remember... If you start at $10K- you will never go higher.

Dave44
 
Dave44 said:
Remember... If you start at $10K- you will never go higher.

Dave44

remember, if you start higher, you *might* get nothing :-)

ovt results for the term 'field commander' are very very low.

I have seen this happen with movies as well.
its hot for a couple of months, domain owner asks too much, company goes for myexamplemovie.com instead of myexample.com
 
Damn.. I missed the mark. Ask them if they are interested in KnightCommander.com :)
 
stevesko said:
sony is intersted - what do you think I should ask?

I would get an appraisal from Sedo for this one. Frankly, I don't believe in appraisals generally but it might give you a bit of negiotiating leverage.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
 
dwrixon said:
I would get an appraisal from Sedo for this one. Frankly, I don't believe in appraisals generally but it might give you a bit of negiotiating leverage.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

I agree. This has too much potential to go it alone. Also, it is important to let them know at SEDO what is in the works re:Sony.

Dave44
 
This is what every domainer hopes for, isn't it? To register
a so-so generic phrase that later on, through some event, becomes
very popular.

If the domain has no meaning to you to hold, I would research
some of the long lists of domain sales at the dn journal site.
After a while there you should get an idea of value for this
name. I agree with others that the best time to sell is
now, when all the promotion will be starting, and not later
when this game will be old news.

However, if you hold the name, it could develop good
type in traffic, especially if a movie or book gets made of
the same name. If this game becomes popular, and has
a second and third version made, it might be better to hold
the name! Good luck!
 
It's not worth much based on CURRENT OVT, but you have to remember it's about to become very popular (at least Sony hopes). They can decide to either buy the domain for a good price, or watch as they market the name and make your domain worth even more. Either way you win. However, don't put anything on the domain about the actual game. They have money and I'm sure they would love to catch you on a trademark violation and get the domain for court fees.

Their biggest mistake was letting you know who they were. I never understand that about big companies. They seem to all be into the bust the door down domain sales. I'm personally into thinking every angle over and feeling the situation out before making any moves. I've turned down $xxx,xxx before because when somebody approaches me with an offer, I consider what the domain is worth as a whole, not just to the person interested in it. If I feel it's worth more than they offer, then I keep it and move on.

Sony definitely should have gone the anonymous route. :-D
 
Thanks for all the advise. I registered it 5 years ago for a project - a computer program for handheld computers - and began marketing it (trademarked but not a registered trademark) so I guess I can challenge their TM... I have a good friend that's a big time IP attorney but that is not my interest.

I have a call into Jay from Sedo - I think that is my best bet - they get 10% but if they can get me a bundle it's worth it :-)))))). I'll keep you posted.

If they walk away I think I'll make a good landing page with some affiliate stuff on it. I'm already # 1 in Google and they have the release of the Field Commander PSP game for Feb. - it's already in pre-sale.
 
Nice name. $10k is too low a starting point these days under the circumstances imo. $25k to $50k would be more like it, and one could do much worse than just keep driving and see what's up the road.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom