• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For a .VN sale, when would you release payment?

nicenicnicenic is verified member.

ICANN Registrar | Reseller API | Accept Crypto
ICANN Accredited Registrar
Hosting Provider
Joined
Nov 9, 2024
Messages
926
Reaction score
353
A .VN ownership transfer has several checkpoints, so I’m curious where experienced sellers would draw the line.

The registrar first reviews the transfer. After that come the tax step, buyer re-registration and the final holder update.

Would registrar approval be enough for you to release escrow, or would you wait until the buyer appears in WHOIS?

Source:
 
For ccTLD transfers I treat registrar approval as the start of the process, not the finish. In .VN it mostly means the paperwork was accepted, and the name can still sit in limbo through the tax clearance and the buyer re-registration before the holder record actually moves. I have seen gaps of more than a week between those stages, so I would not release on registrar approval alone.

What I ask for instead is either the WHOIS holder update or a written confirmation from the registry that the transfer has been recorded, whichever lands first, and the funds stay in escrow until then. When a buyer pushes back on waiting, a workable middle ground is releasing a portion now and the balance on the holder update, which keeps the deal moving without leaving the seller exposed to a name that never actually changes hands.

Before you commit, I would also clarify whether the tax step carries its own deadline, since a reset there would restart the clock.
 
Back
Top Bottom