Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Frank Schilling spotlights investment article authored by SEDO CEO who praises MOBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On SevenMile.com, Frank Schilling showcases a domain investment article authored by SEDO CEO, Tim Schumacher, who praises dotMOBI and forecasts a strong investment future for dotMOBI.

Here is an excerpt from the SEDO CEO's domain investment article:

As a result of much backing and support, the recently released sTLD .MOBI, is expected to continue its strong presence in the domain market. With the land rush (registration) beginning less than one year ago, there have been record sales of .MOBI domains sold on the Sedo marketplace. As increasing numbers of individuals rely on cell phones for information and companies develop more mobile friendly web pages, the .MOBI market is expected to show continued growth.

Here is the article link:
http://domainnamenews.com/miscellan...-what-you-can-learn-from-the-stock-market/248

Moreover, here are further positive comments with respect to MOBI from SEDO's leadership :

Taking the Internet from the PC to the Small

The .MOBI makes a splash

Since the introduction of the mobile device TLD in 2006, .mobi domain names have been creating more and more buzz. From reliable services such as real-time weather reports to online advertising, the .mobi boom is taking over.

For example, Clear Channel allows commuters to get up-to-the-minute updates on weather reports, traffic conditions, and additional useful essentials all in the convenience of their cell phone or mobile device. Additionally, mobile ad networks are also taking advantage of the popularity of the .MOBI domains. AdMob, a mobile advertising marketplace founded in 2006, has teamed up with mobile video company MyWaves to create a mobile video advertising network.

As the .MOBI market continues its upward stride more advertising network companies, such as Third Screen Media, will realize the potential and soon join forces with the mobile community if they haven’t already. Third Screen Media, which was acquired by AOL in May 2007, is a marketing technology company that enables advertising for mobile phones and wireless devices. As an ad network for mobile devices, Third Screen Media has teamed up with the Discovery channel, The World Wrestling Federation, and Hovr Mobile Space in order to increase awareness to their respective audiences. Furthermore, the recent acquisition will improve AOL’s positioning with the mobile market and will allow Third Screen Media to expand their distribution channel.

The online advertising age has reached the small screens of our personal handsets and devices and companies of all statures and product lines are taking advantage of it.

Here is the article link:
http://www.sedo.com/links/showhtml.php3?Id=1482&tracked=&partnerid=&language=us

Domain Summit 2024

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting article, cheers Vision :cool:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny because I don't think FS has much faith in .mobi. In earlier posts this year he said he'd be a buyer if .mobi had natural traffic like .com generics do. I'll have to catch up on his blog this weekend.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
10% sales commission is enough reason for the CEO of Sedo to hype every domain name.

Domainmaster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree, Sedo has a vested interest in seeing .mobi prosper.

I'm an avid reader of Frank's blog and my take is he doesn't have much faith in other tld's besides .com.

Myself I don't see .mobi ever really doing much, other than the really good keyword domains.

Google already has an excellent mobile site that doesn't require typing in .mobi. Why couldn't other companies do the same?

Just my .02

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
10% sales commission is enough reason for the CEO of Sedo to hype every domain name.

Exactly. A year and half from now he will say the same thing about .asia.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, Sedo has a vested interest in seeing .mobi prosper.

Everyone behind .mobi including .mobi investors here have a vested interest in seeing .mobi prosper. Even funnier is that all they seem to come up with to downplay any criticism of the extension is that we are just bitter after missing the boat...pretty lame argument especially when you can still find decent ones sitting unregistered.

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I'd be willing to bet you $100 your wrong

Everyone behind .mobi including .mobi investors here have a vested interest in seeing .mobi prosper. Even funnier is that all they seem to come up with to downplay any criticism of the extension is that we are just bitter after missing the boat...pretty lame argument especially when you can still find decent ones sitting unregistered.

you must be missing alot of info if you think "others missing the boat" is the only argument...the lastest is the LARGEST bank in America is now promoting its .mobi domain...one example of many.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Poker, I encourage you and others to read Doc's posts below 5 times.

Digest Doc's posts and intelligently respond, as opposed to ignoring the facts by throwing red herrings around in this MOBI subforum. Bring in Labrocca if need be, since he is the only one on your side that has a couple functional neurons.

So, what is needed? How will the Mobile Web be accessed.

Wap.
m.
mobi.
mobile.
i.
tinyurl.
/mobi
/mobile
/wap

I'm sure I have left out about 30 more that I have seen used. So pick one and one only and mandate that every site use the same thing so I don't have to remember and my phone memory will not run out and I would not have to scroll through hundreds of saved favorites to find the site I want because they all resolve to a different address.

Then, when you have narrowed down how you want to acessa mobile site, don't forget you have to select one extension and one extension only to keep it simple in this global economy.

Everyone is in agreement that dot com is king, no argument here.

Now comes the daunting task of contacted the administrations of each of these extensions and telling them the extension and the access prefix or suffix to be used to utilize mobi. You will need to convince some that their extension is not needed and useless, is a money making scheme, and used solely for brand protection only. This list does contain some that are defunct so that will make the task a little easier.

Good luck, you may need to get some help from the other forum members:

List of Internet top-level domains

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of tlds)

The following is a list of currently existing Internet Top-level domains (TLDs). See top-level domain for information on the concept.
iTLD Entity Notes
.arpa Address and Routing Parameter Area This is an internet infrastructure TLD.
.root N/A Diagnostic marker to indicate a root zone load was not truncated.
gTLD Entity Notes
.aero air-transport industry Must verify eligibility for registration; only those in various categories of air-travel-related entities may register.
.asia Asia-Pacific region This is a TLD for companies, organizations, and individuals based in the region of Asia, Australia, and the Pacific.
.biz business This is an open TLD; any person or entity is permitted to register; however, registrations may be challenged later if they are not by commercial entities in accordance with the domain's charter.
.cat Catalan This is a TLD for websites in the Catalan language or related to Catalan culture.
.com commercial This is an open TLD; any person or entity is permitted to register.
.coop cooperatives The .coop TLD is limited to cooperatives as defined by the Rochdale Principles.
.edu educational The .edu TLD is limited to institutions of learning (mostly U.S.), such as 2 and 4-year colleges and universities.
.gov governmental The .gov TLD is limited to U.S. governmental entities and agencies (commonly federal-level).
.info information This is an open TLD; any person or entity is permitted to register.
.int international organizations The .int TLD is strictly limited to organizations, offices, and programs which are endorsed by a treaty between two or more nations.
.jobs companies The .jobs TLD is designed to be added after the names of established companies with jobs to advertise. At this time, owners of a "company.jobs" domain are not permitted to post jobs of third party employers.
.mil United States Military The .mil TLD is limited to use by the U.S. military.
.mobi mobile devices Must be used for mobile-compatible sites in accordance with standards.
.museum museums Must be verified as a legitimate museum.
.name individuals, by name This is an open TLD; any person or entity is permitted to register; however, registrations may be challenged later if they are not by individuals (or the owners of fictional characters) in accordance with the domain's charter
.net network This is an open TLD; any person or entity is permitted to register.
.org organization This is an open TLD; any person or entity is permitted to register.
.pro professions Currently, .pro is reserved for licensed doctors, attorneys, and certified public accountants only. A professional seeking to register a .pro domain must provide their registrar with the appropriate credentials.
.tel Internet communication services
.travel travel and travel-agency related sites Must be verified as a legitimate travel-related entity.
ccTLD Country/dependency/region Notes
.ac Ascension Island
.ad Andorra
.ae United Arab Emirates
.af Afghanistan
.ag Antigua and Barbuda
.ai Anguilla
.al Albania
.am Armenia
.an Netherlands Antilles
.ao Angola
.aq Antarctica Defined as per the Antarctic Treaty as everything south of latitude 60°S
.ar Argentina
.as American Samoa
.at Austria
.au Australia Includes Ashmore and Cartier Islands and Coral Sea Islands
.aw Aruba
.ax Åland
.az Azerbaijan
.ba Bosnia and Herzegovina
.bb Barbados
.bd Bangladesh
.be Belgium
.bf Burkina Faso
.bg Bulgaria
.bh Bahrain
.bi Burundi
.bj Benin
.bm Bermuda
.bn Brunei Darussalam
.bo Bolivia
.br Brazil
.bs Bahamas
.bt Bhutan
.bv Bouvet Island Not in use (Norwegian dependency; see .no)
.bw Botswana
.by Belarus
.bz Belize
.ca Canada
.cc Cocos (Keeling) Islands
.cd Democratic Republic of the Congo Formerly Zaire
.cf Central African Republic
.cg Republic of the Congo
.ch Switzerland (Confoederatio Helvetica)
.ci Côte d'Ivoire
.ck Cook Islands
.cl Chile
.cm Cameroon
.cn China, mainland Mainland China only: Hong Kong and Macau use separate TLDs.
.co Colombia
.cr Costa Rica
.cu Cuba
.cv Cape Verde
.cx Christmas Island
.cy Cyprus
.cz Czech Republic
.de Germany (Deutschland)
.dj Djibouti
.dk Denmark
.dm Dominica
.do Dominican Republic
.dz Algeria (Dzayer) Not available for private use
.ec Ecuador
.ee Estonia
.eg Egypt
.er Eritrea
.es Spain (España)
.et Ethiopia
.eu European Union Restricted to companies and individuals in the European Union
.fi Finland
.fj Fiji
.fk Falkland Islands
.fm Federated States of Micronesia Used for some radio related websites outside Micronesia
.fo Faroe Islands
.fr France Can only be used by organisations or persons with a presence in France.
.ga Gabon
.gb Great Britain Seldom used; the primary ccTLD used is .uk for United Kingdom
.gd Grenada
.ge Georgia
.gf French Guiana
.gg Guernsey
.gh Ghana
.gi Gibraltar
.gl Greenland
.gm The Gambia
.gn Guinea
.gp Guadeloupe
.gq Equatorial Guinea
.gr Greece
.gs South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
.gt Guatemala
.gu Guam
.gw Guinea-Bissau
.gy Guyana
.hk Hong Kong Special administrative region of the People's Republic of China.
.hm Heard Island and McDonald Islands
.hn Honduras
.hr Croatia (Hrvatska)
.ht Haiti
.hu Hungary
.id Indonesia
.ie Ireland (Éire)
.il Israel
.im Isle of Man
.in India Under INRegistry since April 2005 except: gov.in, mil.in, ac.in, edu.in, res.in
.io British Indian Ocean Territory
.iq Iraq
.ir Iran
.is Iceland (Ísland)
.it Italy Restricted to companies and individuals in the European Union
.je Jersey
.jm Jamaica
.jo Jordan
.jp Japan
.ke Kenya
.kg Kyrgyzstan
.kh Cambodia (Khmer)
.ki Kiribati
.km Comoros
.kn Saint Kitts and Nevis
.kr South Korea
.kw Kuwait
.ky Cayman Islands
.kz Kazakhstan
.la Laos Currently being marketed as the official domain for Los Angeles.
.lb Lebanon
.lc Saint Lucia
.li Liechtenstein
.lk Sri Lanka
.lr Liberia
.ls Lesotho
.lt Lithuania
.lu Luxembourg
.lv Latvia
.ly Libya
.ma Morocco
.mc Monaco
.md Moldova
.mg Madagascar
.mh Marshall Islands
.mk Republic of Macedonia
.ml Mali
.mm Myanmar
.mn Mongolia
.mo Macau Special administrative region of the People's Republic of China.
.mp Northern Mariana Islands
.mq Martinique
.mr Mauritania
.ms Montserrat
.mt Malta
.mu Mauritius
.mv Maldives
.mw Malawi
.mx Mexico
.my Malaysia
.mz Mozambique
.na Namibia
.nc New Caledonia
.ne Niger
.nf Norfolk Island
.ng Nigeria
.ni Nicaragua
.nl Netherlands
.no Norway Must be registered with a company in Norway to register.
.np Nepal
.nr Nauru
.nu Niue Commonly used for Scandinavian and Dutch websites, because in those languages 'nu' means 'now'.
.nz New Zealand
.om Oman
.pa Panama
.pe Peru
.pf French Polynesia With Clipperton Island
.pg Papua New Guinea
.ph Philippines
.pk Pakistan
.pl Poland
.pm Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
.pn Pitcairn Islands
.pr Puerto Rico
.ps Palestinian territories PA-controlled West Bank and Gaza Strip
.pt Portugal Only available for Portuguese registered brands and companies
.pw Palau
.py Paraguay
.qa Qatar
.re Réunion
.ro Romania
.ru Russia
.rw Rwanda
.sa Saudi Arabia
.sb Solomon Islands
.sc Seychelles
.sd Sudan
.se Sweden
.sg Singapore
.sh Saint Helena
.si Slovenia
.sj Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands Not in use (Norwegian dependencies; see .no)
.sk Slovakia
.sl Sierra Leone
.sm San Marino
.sn Senegal
.so Somalia
.sr Suriname
.st São Tomé and Pr�*ncipe
.su former Soviet Union Still in use
.sv El Salvador
.sy Syria
.sz Swaziland
.tc Turks and Caicos Islands
.td Chad
.tf French Southern and Antarctic Lands
.tg Togo
.th Thailand
.tj Tajikistan
.tk Tokelau Also used as a free domain service to the public
.tl East Timor Old code .tp is still in use
.tm Turkmenistan
.tn Tunisia
.to Tonga
.tp East Timor ISO code has changed to TL; .tl is now assigned but .tp is still in use
.tr Turkey
.tt Trinidad and Tobago
.tv Tuvalu Much used by television broadcasters. Also sold as advertising domains
.tw Taiwan, Republic of China Used in the Republic of China, namely Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen, and Matsu.
.tz Tanzania
.ua Ukraine
.ug Uganda
.uk United Kingdom
.um United States Minor Outlying Islands
.us United States of America Commonly used by U.S. State and local governments instead of .gov TLD
.uy Uruguay
.uz Uzbekistan
.va Vatican City State
.vc Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
.ve Venezuela
.vg British Virgin Islands
.vi U.S. Virgin Islands
.vn Vietnam
.vu Vanuatu
.wf Wallis and Futuna
.ws Samoa Formerly Western Samoa
.ye Yemen
.yt Mayotte
.yu Yugoslavia Now used for Serbia and Montenegro
.za South Africa (Zuid-Afrika)
.zm Zambia
.zw Zimbabwe

If what I am reading is true on every front, then essentially what is being said is there is no need for dot mobi because redirecting to .com is the thing to do.

Then why do we need .net, .org, .info, .us, .name, .biz?

If one will do it all, as it seems to be the vast majority on this thread are saying, then the others are worthless also.

What I have not heard from a single person yet is someone to state that .mobi does not work, therefore it will not be successful.

So someone state right now that dot mobi does not work. And that will be the end of all the squabbling.

Don't tell me it is not needed because all you are saying to the members on this forum and this thread is YOU don't need it or want it. Don't tell me there are plenty of other ways to access the internet on the phone because there will be no argument that yes, you can access via m.domain.com, wap.domain.com, domain.com.mobi, domain.com.mobile, mobile.domain.com and my personal favorite...tinyurl.domain.com along with any other creative methodology that each and every individual programmer and web master can come up with to make you visit there site.

If there are 256 domain extensions then there must be at least 1000 ways and web URL's to reach them on a phone. I'll bet if we all get together and look for the mobile sites accessed by mobile phones right now that we can perhaps find 50-100 different URL's representing the mobile version of the dot com.

So tell me why I have to remember 50 different ways to go about achieving one goal and that is to access the internet via a mobile device without have to go through one simple method...dot mobi.

So someone, please...have something new to say. Tell me that .mobi does not work for the purpose it was intended for.

And tell me why you would have anything else in your portfolio other than .com? Was that for brand protection also? Was that as an investment strategy? Was that as a form of diversification?

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
your right Vision...buy more mobi's

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
your right Vision...buy more mobi's

like I said, I suggest you ask for someone's help when trying to retort Doc's compelling case...

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to retort anything. I don't fully agree with his post, but I also don't really care to beat my head against the wall trying to argue about it with people that are convinced in .mobi

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
been looking have we? :smilewinkgrin:

:pound:

LOL!! Well said Pred!

Evidently, many are employing the strategy of "talking down" the market.

SuccessClick

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

And how many domains have you hyped, Fearless, to get more than a 10% profit on your domain investment of non.coms?:lol:

All TLD's have value at some level. Depends on the name, or are we all just going to stipulate that .com's will always "rule the roost" and all other extensions should just put themselves to sleep with 30 vicodens and a fifth of Absolut?

Sedo's Matt Bentley has probably one of the best understanding of domain value variables than any company in this industry. Just check the domain sales sheets over the last few years. Fearless doesn't have that inside info to dabble with and analyze.

No, I don't park my domains at Sedo.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seems that some of you missed out on getting .mobis. Guess that explains the negativity towards the investors. Jealous? yea......:smilewinkgrin:

Nice find!

SuccessClick

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Any domain investor with half a brain only has to watch and see if the cellular providers and cellphone manufacturers are buying up .mobi domains.

If they aren't, then buh-bye .mobi.

If they are -- then it's just a matter of time when all the naysayers are crying in their Cheerios saying "geez, and I could have bought that .mobi for $35 two years ago."

I don't even have to provide the information on who's buying the .mobis on the corporate side. All I have to do is to "hint" to those who haven't figured out yet how to understand the building of an extension's value on how to "interpret" the trend of .mobi purchases by those who stand to gain the most profit.

Do your research. A little effort might change your mind. Of course, you could always keep buying up all the LLLL.com domains like pirahnas, and when they're all gone, move up to the LLLLL.com domains. :lol:

So like I said -- what are the cellphone first, second, and third party players doing with .mobis? What do THEY know that you wish you knew?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

which other extentions did they hype up?

i musta missed the one they did for .coop

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Time to dump. :yes:

uh-huh... is that what people told you about domains in general back in the 90's?

bubble this.. bubble that.. time to dump.

no, its time to seperate the cream from the crop.. the bubble popping is my friend.

hereeee bubble bubble bubble.. come to daddy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom