• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Free Domain Registrations!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSNet

Level 3
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Messages
279
Reaction score
1
I pulled this from archive.org's services.

This was on Register.com's first website that they had online:

At register.com we will provide you with free domain name registration services. No money is required to secure your own International Identification. This service is being provided at no charge because this site is totally advertiser supported. If you are interested in becoming an advertiser on this web site, please contact us!

How times have changed!
 
FSNet said:
I pulled this from archive.org's services.
This was on Register.com's first website that they had online:
How times have changed!
You looked at Jan 22, 1998. Well... notice the very NEXT change to the homepage though (Jan 29, 1998)...
At register.comâ„¢ we will provide you with free domain name registration services. No money is required to secure your own Domain Name except for Internic's regulatory fee of $50.00 per year. This service is being provided at no charge because this site is totally advertiser supported.
Excuse me? :: blink, blink :: You're FREE, but this is still going to COST me... ok. I guess someone complained after clicking and seeing the fee. By December, they were in full swing...
register.com is a free service. Use it to register an Internet domain name quickly and easily. The only charge will come from the domain name registry services, which charge the following fees:

United States
.com, .net or .org
$70/2years

Cocos Island - CC TLD
.cc
$100 USD/2years

Great Britain
.co.uk, .org.uk
£94 /2years
£79 by credit card

Tuvalu(tv)
.tv
$1000/1year and $500 each yr after
You catch the limit at that time though?
Cannot have more than 26 characters total

Definitely amusing looking back. I remember the first time I complained to a Register.com rep, that the DNS servers were acting up. He tried to note how it was a "FREE" service and I should be greatful that they're providing it. I'm glad we've got much more choice these days...

~ Nexus
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom