• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Generic Domain Name Defense Fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

wienerdog

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
I'd contribute money to a legitamate fund for the defense of small time domain name holders against the megacorporations with their pseudo-trademark aggressions.

I'm in no position to set up or even judge such a fund. I'd be great if one the established people in the business with an good reputation could get behind it.
 
Personally, I don't think there's a lot of threat to LEGITIMATE small-time domain holders from megacorporations. More of a threat from cybersquatters and domain speculators.

That said... look, I understand that a lot of people are in the domain game to make money, and that makes sense to me. But there are ethics and there are ethics. Backordering a .org domain to hold it ransom for $300 or selling it to the highest bidder is ridiculous. I realize that people should pay more attention to re-registering their domain names, but good grief people...
 
Spinlock said:
Personally, I don't think there's a lot of threat to LEGITIMATE small-time domain holders from megacorporations. More of a threat from cybersquatters and domain speculators.

That said... look, I understand that a lot of people are in the domain game to make money, and that makes sense to me. But there are ethics and there are ethics. Backordering a .org domain to hold it ransom for $300 or selling it to the highest bidder is ridiculous. I realize that people should pay more attention to re-registering their domain names, but good grief people...


Boy are you in the wrong place.. lol If I pay $60+ for a backorder I'll be asking alot more than $300. As far as the topic is concerned there are organizations that will represent your for free. In addition there are a couple of domain owner organizations aswell.
 
We can start the fund in my Paypal account...who wants to donate?
 
Spinlock said:
I understand that a lot of people are in the domain game to make money, and that makes sense to me. But there are ethics and there are ethics. Backordering a .org domain to hold it ransom for $300 or selling it to the highest bidder is ridiculous.

:doh:
 
I knew I'd get flak for that one.

Not everybody gets three thousand emails from Godaddy notifying them their domain name is about to expire, okay? There are a few people out there who go out of their way to offer a service to the public, and they lose money on it. It's not justice for them to lose a domain name because somebody wants to park it and make megabucks off of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom