Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNabc

Web Investor & Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can manage them now, it's almost 1:30 AM here, and I hope I can finally finish my domain transfer :)

Edit: It's down again :(

Last edited:

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some compensation for the lost income would certainly be nice. Just sayin'

Maybe a nice coupon code for 1 dollar renewals (plus icann fee of course) or something...

DNabc

Web Investor & Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes it would. It's easier to do that with hosting (extra time) than with domains. Perhaps they will release a good coupon?
In any case what I really wanted was to go to sleep...

DNabc

Web Investor & Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's working now, I've approved my domain transfer!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no "good coupon". They can keep the money and buy a security person to prevent this shit from happening. Meanwhile, I'd say they lost a good amount of business (especially hosting). Sure, people can say hacking happens to the best of them all. But taking down a business that countless other businesses rely on is not going to bode well with those companies moving forward.

I'd really like to hear the pleas and guarantees and offers they make to keep people from leaving.

DNabc

Web Investor & Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any company can one day suffer something like this. Amazon and others were already threatened a longtime ago.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any company can one day suffer something like this. Amazon and others were already threatened a longtime ago.
Yup, that's true. But in this case I was out of contact via email with clients and recruiters for nearly 6 hours. Meanwhile, there were emails waiting for me to contact them to set up an interview time and another client email telling me they hope they can make contact with me tomorrow since they missed me today.

This is very much like phone service...when it is off air it sucks, it costs money, and I lose money or, at the very least, fail to connect with people who are counting on me.

Like I mentioned in post #65, it may happen to the best of them but they certainly do not comp the customer for business lost or missed.

By the way, try "failing" or "being off-air" to contact GD or Amazon when it comes time to pay them. See how fast they drop your ass from their services for non-payment.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many good names are going to show up on the drop lists after redemption? hmmm

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe that GD will need to spend some $ on convincing its users that this denial of service will not be happening in the future. These attacks are criminal, but any company with this level of market share has to invest in security that is over the top to keep its competitive advantage. The denial of service may have been corrected in a few hours but the migration of customers to new pastures may be impossible to stem. I have been the kind of customer that GD loves, I only register names with them and was planning on opening a hosting account in the very near future but this is now on hold. I would suggest to other hosting companies that they should make sure that their systems are protected as best as possible before trying to solicit GD customers. I personally will not be jumping ship , as I'm certain that GD will be working relentlessly on fixing their problems and the other ships may be leakier than the one I'm on now, but they at least know where their problems are.

DNabc

Web Investor & Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way, try "failing" or "being off-air" to contact GD or Amazon when it comes time to pay them. See how fast they drop your ass from their services for non-payment.

I have experienced that... and this lack of service not only caused me to loose hours but many lost visitors as well. If I will be compensated for that? I don't know.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quite interesting!

GoDaddy moved its DNS servers to Verisign during the attack.

But did nothing for their customers.

Amid Outage, GoDaddy Moves DNS to Competitor VeriSign

This was found (see the screenshot) by an independent company who just happened to check.

If that is true, it simply shows Godaddy doesn't have a disaster/business continuity in place.
I'm sure, their management is drilling their IT to come up with a better solution. The existing one solution failed. This is good for customers in the long run.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree a lot of business will leave GoDaddy for this outage. Some other web hosting company already campaigning for it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, GoDaddy.com and many of our customers experienced intermittent service outages starting shortly after 10 a.m. PDT. Service was fully restored by 4 p.m. PDT.

I (and my wife) were experiencing intermittent email issues well into the evening, even after 9pm.

Story read elsewhere that the issue affected all except those on Asia servers.

The service outage was not caused by external influences. It was not a "hack" and it was not a denial of service attack (DDoS).

Perhaps a good bit of PR here to deflect the cause of the issue...don't admit that you were hacked.

Once the issues were identified, we took corrective actions to restore services for our customers and GoDaddy.com.

Umm, not so. As I posted earlier, GD took care of themselves and themselves only. They moved their own DNS Servers to their chief competitor, Verisign. This would explain why some were able to log onto the GD home page but no other services (email, hosting) were working.

We apologize to our customers for these events and thank them for their patience.

Six+ Plus hours being off line for the perhaps hundreds of thousands of web sites gets an apology...along with a thank you note for being patient.

I do understand these things happening. But, and you tech heads can perhaps better answer this...if this was not a hack or DDoS, then why did GD find it necessary to move its DNS servers to on of their competitors?

Is it even possible for an entire system, network, entity be taken totally down by corrupted router tables? All their services were totally disrupted?

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Is it even possible for an entire system, network, entity be taken totally down by corrupted router tables? All their services were totally disrupted?

Yes it could happen but smart companies should have a spare router and be able to restore from the backup (you don't change the router configuration every day/week) so the incident should not last for hours or the IT guys should look for another job.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes it could happen but smart companies should have a spare router and be able to restore from the backup (you don't change the router configuration every day/week) so the incident should not last for hours or the IT guys should look for another job.
That is precisely why I am very skeptical of the explanation. You are not likely to be off line for 6 friggin hours in a situation like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom