Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Godaddy Expiring Auctions... Do you think this is fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nothing is fair about the dropping domain world. Get your crumbs while you can.

It sounds like Godaddy is doing what ever they want to. It does not hurt their bottom line to have deadbeat bidders...this dude/dud could have just come up short on 30 other auctions making godaddy a few K...he may just be someone playing around and bidding people up....do you really think Godaddy would even suspend someone like this? It would be good to try to keep a list of these types...I think someone tried to do that with namejet deadbeats & Shillers.

One thing that makes no sense to me is the newbies (I am guessing) who put in a bid on a name right away so the whole world can take advantage of their research....they have to know that they will never get the name that way...

Actually, they do.

When I've won names on there and not paid straight away, they automatically bill my paypal account after about 3 days. One time I was taking a break for a few days - I'd won a name and expected them to do what they've done in the past, just automatically take the money. This time they didn't. I came back to find my TDNAM account suspended instead of the domain in my account. My fault, but some consistency wouldn't hurt.

I explained what happened and re-opened my account. All names won now get paid straight away.

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Except that a dishonest bidder artificially raised the price. I'm not saying that it's right for the zurc.net to have to pay $72, but an argument can be made that GoDaddy shouldn't have to lose out on potential revenue due to non-paying bidders. It's their platform, so one would expect this to be their tone.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

That is odd; GoDaddy support is hit or miss.

Godaddy are selling something that doesn't belong to them anyway - forget about them losing out on revenue. AND, they charge you the full 12 months renewal on the domain but by the time it's in your account there's only approx 11 months reg left; they've had the benefit of the rest of the time pointing the name to their landers.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is this scenario addressed in the terms ?

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow. . .this sounds insane.

I'm not super familiar with GoDaddy Auctions. Can you see all the bids being placed?

What are they saying about the fourth bidder? That he bid just under $72?

I'm a bit confused.

Skinny

They name them "Bidder 1, Bidder 2, etc." But there is never any show of "Bidder 4" - every time I have gotten on the phone with them, they have a different story and it just seems like I am being fed BS to get me off the phone or to just pay the $72 and I don't like that feeling.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Except that a dishonest bidder artificially raised the price. I'm not saying that it's right for the zurc.net to have to pay $72, but an argument can be made that GoDaddy shouldn't have to lose out on potential revenue due to non-paying bidders. It's their platform, so one would expect this to be their tone.

Are you mathematically or structurally challenged? The last valid bid was for $15. The bids that raised the price to $72 were placed by a 'ghost' bidder. What is the 'potential revenue' that is to be lost? If the 'ghost bidder' had won the domain at $103, then GoDaddy would have lost this much since 'ghost bidder' would not pay, and zurc would have every right to refuse to pay his max $102 as bidder #2 at that point.

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you mathematically or structurally challenged? The last valid bid was for $15. The bids that raised the price to $72 were placed by a 'ghost' bidder. What is the 'potential revenue' that is to be lost? If the 'ghost bidder' had won the domain at $103, then GoDaddy would have lost this much since 'ghost bidder' would not pay, and zurc would have every right to refuse to pay his max $102 as bidder #2 at that point.
You seem awfully sure that GoDaddy is committing fraud here. Considering the hate for GoDaddy & Mr. Parsons that certain people have on this forum, I'm not so quick to jump to such conclusions. I've gotten the run-around from GoDaddy before, and it was because of crappy support, not them trying to con me.

Edit:
The potential revenue I was talking about was the people that didn't bid on the domain because they weren't going to bid >$72 (tho they may have bid $30-50 or more). You can find similar circumstances in other industries, and businesses rarely willingly absorb the loss of potential revenue. Often times protection is written into the contract.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Of course potential loss of revenue is irrelevant considering there was a 4th bidder. The TDNAM platform is inconsistent in my experience. Sometimes it will show bids on one screen, but not on another screen. And when you call support, they seem to get just as confused by this. This inconsistency cost GoDaddy $750 in commission in one case (and cost me a $5k sale).

Last edited:

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats what I am afraid of the situation here. The support can't even explain to me the situation and last guy I spoke with was 100% honest with me and admitted this, he's like I can keep telling you something, but I really don't understand myself as to what happened here, all I can refer to you to do is contact [email protected] - which I have done - with no response.

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats what I am afraid of the situation here. The support can't even explain to me the situation and last guy I spoke with was 100% honest with me and admitted this, he's like I can keep telling you something, but I really don't understand myself as to what happened here, all I can refer to you to do is contact [email protected] - which I have done - with no response.
My situation may have gotten resolved had I noticed it sooner. It's just a matter of getting in touch with the right people. Hopefully they get back to you.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lol, this is funny. On the phone with them, they say they can't display "Bidder 4" on the bid history, but the girl goes on to tell me everyones name in the auction... "Mike (me), Andre, Steve and Peter. So "Bidder 4" is a security issue, but their real names are not? C'mon godaddy... requesting to speak to a super visor now, on hold.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

I have been nothing but professional and respectful on the phone with Godaddy about this situation, I was put on the phone with a "Kendall B." (this is a man, err should say boy), and he was incredibly ignorant and arrogant about the situation.

This is what I was told by him:

"You can pay the $72 or we will move onto the next buyer. We do not have to give you any information about bidding history or why we are charging you this amount. You can call 6 more times and the price is NOT going to change, keep sending emails and you may get a response."

How unprofessional and shady is that? Everyone who I have spoken to at Godaddy, no matter how clueless they were, never treated me like that and knowing this is coming from a "Manager" I am completely disgusted.

I have 27 domains set to renew at godaddy alone this month and you can be sure as hell I will be transferring them out to Moniker instead, that goes for the couple hundred other names I have with them too.

Congratulations Kendall B. and Godaddy, you just lost a 6-year loyal customer and not because I have to pay $72 for this name, but because of the way I was just treated on the phone.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow! That sucks.

"We do not have to give you any information about bidding history or why we are charging you this amount."

Ouch! Really? So much for transparency. Bet he didn't expect you are posting this stuff here ;).

Sad that you were treated unprofessional. Customer service is sorely lacking nowadays.

Skinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators