Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Google is penalizing expired domains!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

andy21

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seem like this will take a hit on the domain reselling industry

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair enough.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A couple of interesting paras from the informative GoogleGuy on the subject:

"...we're using multiple sources of data stretching back to 2000 in order to cross-check..."

"...I tried to gently hint several times that buying expired domains just for the PageRank wasn't a good long-term plan. Hopefully this info will help webmasters look for sites with good names or visitor traffic, because it won't help to try to buy an expired domain to get PageRank..."

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edwin Hot off the press: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/10036.htm If you're selling expired domains on the basis of Google PR, you can forget it in future!

Too bad I could not read it as it sounds real important. I got this message from the link -

"Either we require login from users from your ISP because of abuse, or the thread is marked members only. Please login and then back up to view."

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This just about sums it up:

GoogleGuy
"There aren't any penalties for expired domains--they just don't get credit for pre-existing links."

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How are they going to know which domains were expired? If the spider notices no site I guess they will do a quick whois to check the domain status? Usually a site gets bumped out of google anyways. I had to rebuild links for several sites that dropped from scratch. Keywords always help. If they didn't google would be useless.

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Read the full thread on Webmaster World clemzonguy. Also, if you go to Deleted Domains you get a clue about the data that can be collected about domain expiry, which can be (and Google has) stuck into a big database.

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Too bad I could not read it as it sounds real important. I got this message from the link -

"Either we require login from users from your ISP because of abuse, or the thread is marked members only. Please login and then back up to view."

I got the same message. I just registered on the site, logged in and was able to read the thread. BTW, tons of good info there. Thanks Edwin for mentioning it.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Note that they are also talking about backdating penalties as far as 2000 i.e. it sounds like they have access to years of Whois/Expiry data...

This is going to really HURT some people.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This will REALLY suck.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The whole Idea of getting links for Ranking/placement is ludicrous..

I cant wait until Google has to entirely change their algo to get rid of linking as a form of "popularity" ..

It's meaniningless..all it does is encourage cheating and has absolutely nothing to do with whether a site deservce s to be ranked high...

thats said as long as those are the rules I encourage everyone to cheat as much a s possible and speed up the downfal of the linking as having any importance at all for a sites ranking, :D

l

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bidawinner, it may not be a perfect science but I do not agree. Incoming links from other websites should carry some weight because they imply that other websites find the info found on your site relevant and helpful to their visitors.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by E-Promote
bidawinner, it may not be a perfect science but I do not agree. Incoming links from other websites should carry some weight because they imply that other websites find the info found on your site relevant and helpful to their visitors.

No, what they imply is that the webmaster is simply able to collect links from other webmasters..thats it..

a FAIR algo would incorporate the view of the SURFER/Visitors not other webmasters....

Middle America chooses to shop at WALmart , not Kmart ..

The visitors decided that not all store owners (webmasters)across america ...

The linking method is nothing more than a gateway and "club" to cheat... look ..everyone is trying to get to the top by LINKING..not by giving there customers/surfers what they want...

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MarkyMark
and the solution is?

an algo that gives more weight to unique traffic, how long that traffic stays comparative to other websites of the same catergory..etc..

linking is fine..it's just that Google gives it way to much importance..but thye have to because thats the backbone of the google algo...

When a SE comes along that rates by what the visitors are choosing over what webmasters are chosing then Google will be history....

But in the meantime..we have Google so thats what we have to seo for...

I try and do a blend..I try and give my visitors things that I think they are looking for and at the same time working in what I need to feed google...

just my 2c

M

mole

Originally posted by bidawinner
I try and do a blend..I try and give my visitors things that I think they are looking for and at the same time working in what I need to feed google...

Best of both worlds :)

MarkyMark

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok bidawinner, I agree that would be a good idea, quite hard to implement though. It is rumored that google gives extra credit to websites that receives more clicks than normal for for example a 5th place in the resultpages. That only measures the attractiveness of the Title and tha desc that google shows and not the whole websites accurateness, but it is a step in the right direction of your ideas.

M

mole

Originally posted by MarkyMark
It is rumored that google gives extra credit to websites that receives more clicks than normal for for example a 5th place in the resultpages.

Absolutely.

It's not just link popularity, its also click popularity. But of course, being on the 1st page will naturally result in more of the second.

Bottom line is simply, get something useful on the internet that everyone wants and the rest will take care of itself.

Easier said than done of course. Check out http://www.useit.com . Its a simple site, but powerpacked with insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom