Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Grassroots.org needs our help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
link doesn't work..

Not Found
The requested URL /index.ph...ffic-las-vegas/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

SonnyBurnett

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I cannot imagine TRAFFIC organizer Rick Schwartz not stepping up and offering Angela a Ticket.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is not Grassroots.org owned by the multi millionaire Mike Mann?
This may explains why Rick does not want to offer them a free ticket.

By the way what is the relationship between grassroots.org and domaining?

SonnyBurnett

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Is not Grassroots.org owned by the multi millionaire Mike Mann?
This may explains why Rick does not want to offer them a free ticket.

By the way what is the relationship between grassroots.org and domaining?

:smilewinkgrin:

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I respect all parties here but to ask for donation when the owner and or creator(s) of this effort are multi-millionaires is not a good cause. This is not to knock Mike or anyone else. It's ok for Donna to ask, sure it is, but I bet there are forum members on here struggling to feed their families and for that I would contribute but for this? Maybe there is a reason they are not paying, a business reason that none of us are aware of? I'm not sure I get this one at all, sorry.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have little sympathy for these non-profits who are typically quite weathly with often substantial income and assets.

The nonprofit organizations pay little if any income tax and enjoy other huge benefits.

Michael Mann is believed to be one of the wealthiest domainers of all time. Let him pay for TRAFFIC like everyone else, IMO.

D

Deleted member 70408

Oftentimes non-profits are founded by wealthy people who give a major donation, attach their names to the cause, and act on its behalf, however it's quite unreasonable to expect them to foot the bill for everything. I don't know what the financial situation of Grassroots.org is, but I was told they don't have the money budgeted to attend. I think their mission statement is a worthwhile one, and that is why I blogged about it.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello Bilbo,

The article does not explain why it make sense to grassroots.org to assist to domaining conferences. So if people have the response, they are welcome to explain.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think Rick and Howard should at least donate booth space and if they want hold back the free food and booze. I donated $300 at Domainfest. I'd rather my donation didn't go to Traffic.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Non-profits always say they don't have money which is usually BS.

Try to find out how much the Pres., officers and key employees earn per year which is sometimes as much or more than for-profit corporations. Try to learn what percentage they really give to charity, often very low.

I may be wrong but see little reason why Grassroots would want to attend a TRAFFIC conference other than Michael Mann's love for domains and publicity. Plus getting free links which Grassroots does extremely well.

It is also not unusual for wealthy people to start a non-profit to shelter some of their assets and help with taxation. That does not necessarily mean Mr Mann did that but nevertheless it does happen.

Oftentimes non-profits are founded by wealthy people who give a major donation, attach their names to the cause, and act on its behalf, however it's quite unreasonable to expect them to foot the bill for everything. I don't know what the financial situation of Grassroots.org is, but I was told they don't have the money budgeted to attend. I think their mission statement is a worthwhile one, and that is why I blogged about it.

thejosh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about why they would not be given space, but I think Grassroots.org is a top notch organization... I hope to do a project with them some day.

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's not too smart. When someone gets an answer why not, please post.

Elliot went so far as to make a request on grassroots.org's behalf to Rick and was told they receive too many requests for free passes.

As to why it's important for them to attend conferences: They were founded by a domainer and receive a chunk of their funding by auctioning domains which are donated by domainers.

I understand why some can't/won't donate and thats all good, but I think those who can help and believe in the cause should. We get so much bad press about being lazy people who didn't work for our money that I love the fact that these folks are showing that some of us are giving back.

D

Deleted member 70408

Bottom line is that the director told me she wouldn't be able to attend unless they receive a ticket or donations to purchase a ticket, so I want to help out. One of the most important things they can do is get their name out in the domain community, and attending the biggest and best domain conferences is a way to do it.

When Grassroots.org held their auction, I didn't expect Mike Mann to buy every name. Just like most smart companies don't want to have a single account, agent, or client to support their revenue, non-profits don't want to rely on the founder's teet every time money is needed. I think Grassroots.org has a valuable mission, and I was happy to help.

Whether Mike wants to spend $2k or whether Rick wants to give a free pass isn't the issue right now. The issue is that Grassroots.org cannot fund the ticket from their budget, and they are looking to the domain community to help.

Non-profits always say they don't have money which is usually BS.

Try to find out how much the Pres., officers and key employees earn per year which is sometimes as much or more than for-profit corporations. Try to learn what percentage they really give to charity, often very low.

I may be wrong but see little reason why Grassroots would want to attend a TRAFFIC conference other than Michael Mann's love for domains and publicity. Plus getting free links which Grassroots does extremely well.

It is also not unusual for wealthy people to start a non-profit to shelter some of their assets and help with taxation. That does not necessarily mean Mr Mann did that but nevertheless it does happen.

ARMG

Undeveloped.com - Domain name marketplace
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol how is it possible that a organization like Grassroot can't come up with $2000 for a ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators