Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Greetings and Salutations from Rob Monster @ Epik.com

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not posted at DNF in a long time.

As some folks are aware, I became somewhat active at NamePros during 2019 due to a rather infamous post there that ended up being long and popular. I am pretty sure that Epik ended up playing a meaningful role in the growth of NP during 2019. Be that as it may, earlier today, the NP moderators decided that they should review my posts before they are published.

1578001756728.png

Frankly, I find that proposed censorship arrangement to be a bit too Orwellian.

So, if folks here don't mind too much, I might post on DNF for a while until my NP ban is lifted -- supposedly in 30 days. My efforts to appeal their ban fell on deaf ears.

For anyone interested, here is the exact content that got me restricted:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/nameinvestors.1170805/#post-7565108

I was replying to Ray Hackney's thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/from-voice-com-to-org-2019-was-a-monster-year.1170542/

The content seemed fitting to me but apparently NP's moderators concluded otherwise. Pity.

Looking back, I did have some some good posts at NP in 2019. I suggest you read them in case the Mods decide that they should burn them:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...t-do-domain-names-have-to-do-with-it.1161411/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/yall-wanna-shoot-the-moon.1162085/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/teach-a-man-to-fish-co-creating-abundance.1162792/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/turning-lemons-into-lemonade.1161776

We did also hire a lot of NP members as staff. This was done in part from this post:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/hi...ct-managers-and-executive-leadership.1162639/

Hopefully the Mods here at DNF are more forgiving.

Anyway, I extend the folks here my blessings for a Happy New Year.

Domain summit 2024

nafti

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rob, I have been a big fan of your posts at NP. I feel that you have given a lot to that forum so to see them restrict you like that is quite absurd.

I feel that if you post as much as you did here as there in 2019, DNForum will grow leaps and bounds. DNForum needs a big spark and perhaps you could be the one to get that fire going. :)

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rob, I have been a big fan of your posts at NP. I feel that you have given a lot to that forum so to see them restrict you like that is quite absurd.

I feel that if you post as much as you did here as there in 2019, DNForum will grow leaps and bounds. DNForum needs a big spark and perhaps you could be the one to get that fire going. :)

Thanks @nafti.

No promises there on content volume or engagement as I barely know this community. Nevertheless, I am happy to spread my wings.

When it comes to the animosity between DNF and NP, I do hope that folks can beat their swords into plowshares. I find it silly.

If you know my talking points from NP, then you know I am big on making the pie bigger for everyone -- and frankly that includes NP.

If my thesis is right, there will be so many new folks coming into the industry so it will hardly matter!

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome back to DNForum.com Rob. We usually try to limit links to competing forums. But since your case is special lets keep it up so people can see what happens if you step out of line at NP.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome back to DNForum.com Rob. We usually try to limit links to competing forums. But since your case is special lets keep it up so people can see what happens if you step out of line at NP.

Thanks for the flexibility and for the special treatment. I do hope DNF can lead by example and do away with this policy of not linking to other forums. It is a really silly practice. It is fine if you don't make those links SEO followable but to deny audience access to industry knowledge propagated elsewhere is not just petty. It is a disservice to the community.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do understand your point Rob, but the forums are not just a knowledge sharing platforms, they are also businesses. You do not link to Uni on Epik.com and in the same way usually we do not link to competing forums.

When that is said; when we took over DNForum.com we did approach the NP management to relax these standards a bit, but was meet with less of an open hand and more of a closed fist. You will however find we are much less stringent than they are and in this case I think what you posted has special relevance.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do understand your point Rob, but the forums are not just a knowledge sharing platforms, they are also businesses. You do not link to Uni on Epik.com and in the same way usually we do not link to competing forums.

When that is said; when we took over DNForum.com we did approach the NP management to relax these standards a bit, but was meet with less of an open hand and more of a closed fist. You will however find we are much less stringent than they are and in this case I think what you posted has special relevance.

Thanks @Castion -- duly noted here. I will continue to challenge the "competition" mindset. It is a scarcity mindset, which is the opposite of what we should be creating, namely abundance.

Here is a good example:

https://domaingraduate.com/

We acquired it, improved it, and made it free. Why? Because it helps new domainers with no money to get started and increase their chances to succeed. Similarly:

https://nameinvestors.com/

It is another free service which is comparable to many paid tools but is an intuitive control panel that you can customize. You could say that it has "competitors" but that would be silly because the real win is to empower people to find great opportunities. We can monetize that by making the pie bigger through more transactions and more quality supply falling into stronger hands.

As for this site, you seem to charge people to use it. This is another obvious thing to fix. If your marginal cost to expand access to knowledge is zero, then let it be free and allow network effects to go to work.

Anyway, I appreciate that you allow me to share my views and hopefully I won't annoy the moderators too much as I challenge convention -- not to be provocative, but to hopefully improve effectiveness.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of what you say Rob and here at DNForum access to knowledge is free. Ask all the questions, seek all the advice, read all the threads without cost. The only thing we charge for is a onetime payment to access the merchant side of things.. The marketplace.

If you look in the general discussion, newbie area and questions area; you will find that both myself and the staff here are very active in guiding newcomers to the industry.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of what you say Rob and here at DNForum access to knowledge is free. Ask all the questions, seek all the advice, read all the threads without cost. The only thing we charge for is a onetime payment to access the merchant side of things.. The marketplace.

If you look in the general discussion, newbie area and questions area; you will find that both myself and the staff here are very active in guiding newcomers to the industry.

In order to be relevant in 2020 and beyond, I would strongly encourage to lift that restriction. Terms of Service can be used to contain those who spam, or place reasonable caps on how many posts can be made by free accounts. However, more inventory and more engagement are "honey for the bee". The only downside is perhaps more work for your moderators.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My god, he has landed here too.
A quick ban would fix it fast.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators