Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Guide me please ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dear gurus of the industry,

I am looking to receiving advice as to whom I should approach to guide and help me in this industry. I have been reading and learning all on my own and have accumulated varied experiences. However, in the recent days, I have not been able to establish any sort of progress. I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with some leads to where or whom I should approach in order to learn more about the skills and necessary ideas for survival in this industry. Mentors and like minded gurus would be greatly appreciated. I certainly need proper guidance.

thank you.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oneguy said:
However, in the recent days, I have not been able to establish any sort of progress. I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with some leads to where or whom I should approach in order to learn more about the skills and necessary ideas for survival in this industry.

What other skills do you think you should know but don't :worried:

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thank you for your replies. Its certainly heart warming to know that there are people whom are willing to help. Perhaps I should provide more information and some clarification.

The areas of my explict interest are as following:
- domain reselling
- domain development
- search engine placement/optimization
- web trading of domain names and websites

Some background of myself.
I am located in Singapore, half-way round the world from you guys and I'm in the +0800GMT timezone. As luck may have it, I have been involved on the internet for some time now. I have always been in touch with the developments on the internet on a part-time basis but recently, there has been certain development that might put me out of a full-time job rather quickly. As such, I am looking towards the internet and domain reselling, domain development etc to make a living while I take some time out to relook at my standings.

I would really like to provide more information and background about myself but I don't really think that's approriate here.

Based on what I have tried, I am looking for someone whom will be able to help and guide me along the lines of

- how to look out for a reasonably worthy domain name
- how to develop the domain i.e provide it with traffic etc
- how to sell it for a marginal profit

In recent days, I have got myself in line with DCB so that I can provide the sites as a solution to my local market. Remembering that the emphasis is on learning the skills so that I can deploy them appropriately in my local arena. I am not looking out to compete on the same grounds as you guys.

I know this post must sound really weird or confusing ... coz I'm not sure how I can put myself forward as well. Essentially, I guess, to sum it all up, I'm looking for someone whom has already achieved some success in the domain reselling, domain development, search engine placement/optimization, website development, website trading, and will not a chance to pass the knowledge, the know-how and the skillsets to someone that is willing to learn and willing to explore.

PS - I'm not some kid around the block who is looking for some help. I'm thirty this year. Perhaps some would consider myself as an IT Systems Professional but I would rather not coz I don't even come close with the required skillsets. I'm in the time of my life that I have been forced to look at other sources of income and the internet is probably the most untapped source, especially in my location, Singapore where close to 70% of the population have computers and another 70% of that have BroadBand internet access. However, the services that the internet provides for this group of 4 million people is sadly missing ... just take a look at http://www.ebay.com.sg - its terrible! In addition to this, I have spent lots of money downing material from Cory Rudl, Ken Envoy etc. So, I'm not a fly-by-night kind of guy. I am seriously interested in learning all this but ... I'm really finding alot of difficulty having to get to the right resources and a good mentor to guide me along. Anyone willing to help?

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
exactly ... now, just how do I get hold of the dirty dollars?
mmm...

:p

phrone

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well.. think of a domain name. Here's some tips (other people please add tips / correct me)

1. keep the domain short
2. make is easy to remember
3. try to get more .com's than anything else
4. advertise well
5. maintain a professional, clean feel on your site (no cussing if your admin.. well no cussing at other members :p)
6. build up, get steady traffic

then you can cash in..

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oneguy said:
Based on what I have tried, I am looking for someone whom will be able to help and guide me along the lines of

- how to look out for a reasonably worthy domain name
- how to develop the domain i.e provide it with traffic etc
- how to sell it for a marginal profit?

Forget this route, oneguy. :-( The market is too skilled with people who never miss a beat, two saturated with savvy players, and too rich by people who can bankroll thousands of dollars for each name at the blink of eye.

Why are you losing your job, btw :-(

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depressing as it may sound, but I think you are right. The guys here are really good. They NEVER miss anything. Even the rats wouldn't have any scraps to deal with <sigh> ... furthermore, I am the kind that watches carefully every dime that leaves my pocket ... not because I'm stingy ... but because I really live month-to-month, its tight, but I guess we make it somehow. Geez, I really envy these guys. Just achieving a small percentage of their success would make me proud.

But I figured that if I were to concentrate solely on my own turf i.e Singapore - maybe there is some money to be made? What's your POV?

Losing my job? Seems to me that the business/company isn't doing so well - the fact that I am able to post and reply to emails and forums doing the day is a sure sign. The way I see it, its either, wait to be retrenched or resign ....... 7 years in the same company, I practically started my working career here ...

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What got you into this domain game, one?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok...
it's not as pesimistic as it seems.
There are 2 Q's you need to ask yourself before going to stage 2.
1) Do I have enough money to invest?
(that is money you are willing to possibly lose)
2) Do I have enough time to be on the computer 20 hrs per day?

Q1 doesnt mean yopu have to be a milionaire. It just means having enough cash to buy domains. Not a few, but a few hundred to start.

Now, assuming you can go past Q1, and Q2, then PM me.
This market is not an easy one.
But many people easily assume it has no money in it.
This is pure nonesense.
If one is willing to work hard enough, and I really mean barely sleeping, then the answer is yes, you can make a living out of this market.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's true, well put seeker.

I was an invited guest at the Subscription Website Publishers Association (swepa.com) first annual seminar here in Florida a few months ago. I met some great people in the industry. Some of the guys there were self proclaimed mentors, charging upwards of $10,000 -$20,000/yr to be part of their mastermind. And they have plenty of members. Certain knowledge comes with a certain pricetag. I hate to be the one to say it, but for someone to take you under their wing and spill their guts for free, they have to be sick or suicidal. I hope you proove me wrong, I really do. I wish you good luck in your endeavors, but this industry takes a bit of an investment to get started, and if you're living month to month, you might want to consider other options.

Singapore is notorious for breeding some great webmasters, just keep your chin up.
I've never been a naysayer, or one to rain on others parades, but I just have to be honest and give you a sample perspective of those that rarely speak up in these circumstances.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mediahound, not sure how to recieve the post.
Would I be sick or suicidal to give some tips for free?
I did not receive the tips for free, I barely slept for, I dont even know what month it is. since then.
My theory is simple.
The more people in the game, the more competition, which ultimately = end users pay more.
Simple.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My post started with a head nod to you.
Then I directed the rest to the gentleman requesting advice.

I would be surprised to see you take this man under your wing.
Then again, I hope I am prooved wrong. It's sad to see a man loose his job and reach out for help.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks Mediahound.
First, my wings can not carry anything more than myself.
All I can offer is some advice, and hope that another human can create their own wings to lift them up.

It is indeed sad that when a plea for help is not answered by another.
It is sadder, when it is answered, that it is sometimes questioned, instead of appreciated. But then again, we are only human.

We all learn from each other.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started out in domains living month by month, so invested very little to start off with. But gradually gained experience, and names (including more worthwhile ones).

I found it took a lot of time and effort and experience and patience (and luck).

Try to find your own niches. I have had quite a few different niches over the last 4 years which I have dabbled in or been more serious about.

Singapore names would be an obvious potential niche for you. You know which are the most important cities, industries, products etc, but don't limit yourself to those.

It's not easy getting started and I found the time between starting and getting into some sort of profit was around 3 years.

You can learn an awful lot from browsing the forum (and asking a few questions from time to time too).

Good luck

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I won't recommend anyone without some substantial slack in budget and the ability to wait long-term to come into the mainstream arena now in hopes of making a decent living off reselling domains. Most domainers I think here have a day job or a steady stream of alternative income.

It may have been good a couple of years back when hard work and smarts could land you names for the price of $49 at Snapnames. Today, the fattest wallet rules in acquiring names - auctions either suck out your financial stamina or stretch you so thin you can't sustain the game month after month.

Nothing beats a steady job, and if you lose one, go find another. Domains are unstable unpredictable creatures, not exactly the best way to make a living off. You could be lucky of course, but don't count on it if your dinner depends on it every night.

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the interest in the thread and offer for help. As MOLE would already know [via PMs] -- technically, I am not out of a job yet -- but having seen the circumstances surrounding my company, I think its only a matter of time that I will be shown the door. Not because of my own inability but rather, a set of unfortunate sequence of events that leaves the company in "no-man's land". In any case, its a terrible time right now because I can't get out immediately as any form of resignation would mean that I lose my retrenchment benefits [however small they might be] but at least, maybe, I might get something for my 7 years of sweat and toil. Hell, I hate it when we have to suffer the consequences of inability and the lack of forsight of others! But, I guess, that life ... :-(

In response to the posts above, I'm afraid that I do not have access to neither Q1 nor Q2 -- as I am technically still employed, I cannot afford to be online 20 hours a day, I still have to go around my daily routine. As for the money, over the years since I started with domainering, if there is such a word, I have spent close to $1,000 US -- with me making back about 40% of it. Those were the good times, when I had a nice job, and wanted a 2nd stream of income and thought that domainering would be a good 2nd source of incomine.

Through that experience, I have learnt that domainering isn't easy and it takes lots of hard work, research, time and money. Perhaps time and money is usually the sore point in many domainers-wannabes. I guess, until today, I still do not have the guts to burn $5,000 on domains, hoping for some decent returns. I do not have access to that kind of cash.

I understand that it takes alot of guts and a deep pocket to gain some headway in domainering but will domainering allow for some to form part of a 2nd income? Is domainering really such a costly skillset? Can't someone like me, learn enough of the trade and be able to earn some money?

Seriously, I hope you guys understand the difficulty that I am facing. I am willing to learn, but it seems to me that its going to be really costly - in the tune of multiply thousands fo dollars. I know ... I can't really expect mentors to come in and give me all their secrets for free ... I understand that completely. But given the situation that I am in, plus the fact that I have a passion for domainering, development of sites, building communities, internet selling, generating income from the internet etc ... what could I have done differently? Any suggestions?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been getting my domain names from drops for an average of US$10. Although the recent increases at NW and enom will increase my average cost to something like $15, probably.

I don't know how much you need to earn for it to be worth your while. My requirements aren't really that great, and domain names now supply the majority of my financial needs.

If you enjoy domains, web site design, the internet etc, I would think that you can make a go of it. But as said by others, it will take time and a certain amount of money.

Finding one or two good domain friends to share information with will no doubt help. If you can share your experience and findings with the other person too so that it can be mutually beneficial, I found that works very nicely. I think we all have a lot to learn and share.

Good luck again, and I hope things work out positively for you whatever happens.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forget about domains and start focusing on your existing sites.
This will save you money today, and the renewal fees later.
Build your sites and work on getting traffic. Then find affiliate programs to promote, and sell ad space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators