Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

half.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very nice name.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes it's a very nice name. Missed that one completely. :cry:

Something I wanted to ask in the blue.co.uk thread but didn't. As many of us know detagged.co.uk/dropcatcher.co.uk/TheCHC operate a 'drop catching' service for .uk domain names.

It says here on their site that if you want to secure a domain name with them you need to email them the details. It costs £29 + VAT per domain name.

They have recently caught and registered half.co.uk and blue.co.uk to themselves. If I'd emailed them and asked them to catch me either of these domain names, would they have done so for the above fee or would they have told me that the domain name was already booked? Would they have registered me blue.co.uk or half.co.uk for just £29 + VAT?

If thousands of people, like they claim on 'www.blue.co.uk' were after 'blue.co.uk' then I am sure someone would have emailed them and asked them to catch it for them. I am therefore assuming that they would have been told 'no it's already booked'. This goes further into the realms of trust. If I found what I considered to be a hot name and emailed detagged to get it for me, since they catch names for themselves, how would I know that they wouldn't just tell me it was already booked (and then catch it for themselves) regardless of whether they actually knew about it before I did?

A lot of the names listed on their site are registered to themselves or aliases; especially the good ones. Since that is the case, can detagged really call themselves a drop catching service? Is there a chance that a customer can pick up a premium name with them?

Incidently this is something detagged accused the former Nametrack of back some months ago (i.e. all the names on Martin Reeves' site were registered in his name. This wasn't actually true but a lot on their site are registered in their name).

_Ronnie_ you work with Chris Holland. What's the situation with the above? If someone had come along and asked you to grab them either half.co.uk or blue.co.uk, or any of the three letters you have, would you have done it for £29 + VAT?

Thanks.

_Ronnie_

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
David

Thank you for your post. I do understand your cynicism about the service, and I'm sure that if I were in your position, I'd feel the same way - particularly because we are in the same business!

So to answer your question. All I can do is assure you that we operate on the highest possible business ethics. Sure, we do get bookings for the real top notch names that we failed to spot and as much as it pains us, we let customers book them at 29 quid. These include some 3-letter domains.

I'm sure you spend as much time as us scouring the domains market looking for the best names and as such have become pretty good at finding the best names first.

All I ask, David, is that you graciously accept that there are a number of players in our business, and when you lose out to someone else, that you don't berate their business. You have been getting some excellent names, and we do not take that from you.

Oh, just one final thing...blue.co.uk is registered to Name Magic. Name Magic are customers of detagged.co.uk - we didn't even get blue.co.uk for ourselves! :)

Kind Regards
Ronnie Davies

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by _Ronnie_
David

Thank you for your post. I do understand your cynicism about the service, and I'm sure that if I were in your position, I'd feel the same way - particularly because we are in the same business!

So to answer your question. All I can do is assure you that we operate on the highest possible business ethics. Sure, we do get bookings for the real top notch names that we failed to spot and as much as it pains us, we let customers book them at 29 quid. These include some 3-letter domains.

I'm sure you spend as much time as us scouring the domains market looking for the best names and as such have become pretty good at finding the best names first.

All I ask, David, is that you graciously accept that there are a number of players in our business, and when you lose out to someone else, that you don't berate their business. You have been getting some excellent names, and we do not take that from you.

Oh, just one final thing...blue.co.uk is registered to Name Magic. Name Magic are customers of detagged.co.uk - we didn't even get blue.co.uk for ourselves! :)

Kind Regards
Ronnie Davies

Hi. Thanks for your response. I also feel I try to give credit where credit is due. This name 'half.co.uk' is a very nice name that I (and others I have spoken too) totally missed. :sad: Congratulations on getting it.

With reference to us being in the same business; well we are both interested in expired .uk domain names. However I don't register domain names for anyone elses except myself. You do advertise a service for 'grabbing' expired .uk domain names to the public. I don't and never have. :)

I was genuinely interested to know your policy on catching for yourselves v. catching for a customer; particularly since there is no way that a prospective customer (who may feel that they have found a 'hot name' can, as far as I am aware, tell whether it is already booked with you; except by asking over email). I did check through your web site before asking because I couldn't find a reference to this (or anything about what happens if a name is already booked). :)

Regarding 'blue.co.uk' not being registered to yourselves. One gets the impression that it is after reading the web page that the domain name resolves too and the fact that the address of Name Magic is that of yours too. Also there is an email address at the bottom of the web page advertising it for sale using 'TheCHC.com' domain name. As far as I, and others I know, are aware 'TheCHC' is the same as detagged/dropcatcher.co.uk (i.e. it's all Chris Holland with one or more partners). :) I've always been under the impression that you register names using one of a number of 'aliases' for some unknown reason. Whilst you don't have to justify your private business, perhaps you may see where I am getting this impression from. :)

I accept that there are many players in the domain name expiration arena. :) I'd like to reiterate that what I do isn't what you do; i.e. I don't offer a domain registration service to anyone but myself (unless I happen to sell a domain name, and then I make the customer aware of the Nominet T&Cs, and request that they ask me to retag the domain name).

A lot of distrust was generated against CHC/Detagged/DropCatcher last summer when Chris Holland came on here basically attacked Nametrack for a number of things. I think Chris apologised after he'd reread what he'd said - and he had said some rather inappropriate things, including via email to others. I'm sure you'll be aware that I stepped in and defended NameTrack. I guess a certain degree of hostility has remained. :) It's probably pointless to drag it out any further.

Something I will suggest. On your site you list all the names you have registered in recent times. Many are registered to yourselves or what appear to be aliases. :) If this is not the case, why not say so? :) Point out which names were secured for customers and which were secured for yourselves. There is no harm in catching for yourselves if you point this out clearly. Then nobody can question it. :) I've always found that transparency is the best policy. It's all you can do to defeat the cynics. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
He will need different aliases because nominet ban tag's for 24 hours if you are a naughty boy. Just like Snapnames uses different registers.

Again you demonstrate your complete and utter lack of knowledge, as per usual with regards to anything to do with domain names.

Different registrant aliases are nothing to do with the tag. Tag holders get banned for abusing the automation, not registrants. So using multiple registrants makes no difference at all, since they're not the ones using the automation. [Note to self: I am wondering why I am wasting my time educating Andrew about this.]

You go after the Same .co.uk drops though - which Chris Holland seems to be getting at the moment.

Maybe David should try www.detagged.co.uk

How on earth would you know what I go after? As we are all aware, you know nothing about domain names. Therefore I cannot imagine how you could possibly know what I do or don't go after.

Have you access to my database and the list of names I am interested in? Have you access to the PRSS? No you have neither. As regards what I am / am not interested in and what I have / haven't registered or attempted to register; I'm simply not going to tell you. ;)

However like _Ronnie_ says, 'You [as in I] have been getting some excellent names...'. I think I'd give him more credit than I'd ever give you in relation to having some sort of clue about '.uk'.

If you have no knowledge of what you are talking about, as you obviously don't, I suggest you refrain from making everyone else aware of this like you so often seem to do. :laugh:

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about domains - Thats why i'm a moderator and your a silly little person who pisses people off - I have spoken to Chris Holland on the phone.

Going back to the question - I told YOU that half.co.uk had dropped you didn't know LOL

Have you got a good name lately David ? NO

:laugh:

_Ronnie_

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, we only register for ourselves under one name. That has been our policy since we started. However, the exact details have changed a little since we started and formalised arrangements. We have no aliases - it's just unfortunate that Chris is a common dropcatching name :). Nominet would shoot us out of the sky if they thought we were using different names to 'double up'. In fact, the word on the street is they've rumbled one or two people who've acquired more than one tag and membership!

WRT blue.co.uk, I can see how you made the link to CHC and you're absolutely right. The WHOIS address is the same as the CHC, however Name Magic is not affiliated with the CHC - it is a customer. Thanks for informing me - I'll look into that. When we grab a new name, we put up a pretty generic holding page until the new registrant wants to do something with it. As it happens, this is further complicated for blue.co.uk because based on our previous successes, we are helping Name Magic with the sales.

You state that CHC and detagged are the same. They're not. Detagged.co.uk is only concerned with dropcatching. CHC is a web design and hosting company which I have little to do with.

On your comment about being in the same business, all I was referring to was the fact that we are going after the same names. That may precipitate bad feeling or the cynicism I mentioned, particularly when we lose a good name to each other! :) There's obviously no need for any bad feeling and I think we all want to forget what was said in the past :), and any bad feeling that may remain :).

One more thing - I am currently working on a user interface for the SnatchBack system. However, there are extra considerations, security and otherwise, that must be taken into account before implementing such a system. These things take a long time to develop, particularly when I spend most of my time studying to be a doctor! :) We do operate on a strictly first-come first-served basis and will continue to do so.

As for your suggestion of putting the registrants' name on the site - I'll look into it. Since it's best practice to only advertise the better catches, most of them will be ours anyway :). On that note, do you operate a site that you advertise your domains for sale on David?

Anyway, I hope that this answers your questions :).

NeilUK

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great thread, good to see people talking it through, asking questions and reasoning whilst remembering we are all competitors.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about domains - Thats why i'm a moderator

You reckon that qualifies you in any way? :laugh:

Going back to the question - I told YOU that half.co.uk had dropped you didn't know LOL

...and where did you find out about it? Five minutes earlier from detagged.co.uk per chance? Congratulations you can browse the web! :laugh:

Have you got a good name lately David ? NO

:laugh: [/B]

:laugh: :laugh:

Nope. You're right! I haven't caught any good domain names lately. :laugh: :laugh:

In fact I have never caught any good domain names. :laugh: :laugh: Dream on!

What about you then? Got any good names EVER? ;)

What I register is none of your business. I have no interest in publicising my business to you.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How is Cambridge Ronnie ?

WTF has this got to do with half.co.uk, let alone expiring domain names?

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by _Ronnie_
On your comment about being in the same business, all I was referring to was the fact that we are going after the same names. That may precipitate bad feeling or the cynicism I mentioned, particularly when we lose a good name to each other! :) There's obviously no need for any bad feeling and I think we all want to forget what was said in the past :), and any bad feeling that may remain :).

Yes I agree. :)

One more thing - I am currently working on a user interface for the SnatchBack system. However, there are extra considerations, security and otherwise, that must be taken into account before implementing such a system. These things take a long time to develop, particularly when I spend most of my time studying to be a doctor! :) We do operate on a strictly first-come first-served basis and will continue to do so.

Fair enough. Other than ensure it's mentioned on your site, I cannot see a problem with this. :)

As for your suggestion of putting the registrants' name on the site - I'll look into it. Since it's best practice to only advertise the better catches, most of them will be ours anyway :).

So would it be fair or unfair to say that you primarily catch for yourselves but also offer a service for third parties? How would you describe it? :)

On that note, do you operate a site that you advertise your domains for sale on David?

No, I don't have one, since I don't actively advertise any of my domain names as 'for sale'. However people like yourselves may come across my names more often than others. :)

Thanks for replying.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
David i've had you on ignore up and till now - now your going back on ignore where you belong.

BTW my names are on www.domain-shop.co.uk

And the rest are in your "no pile"

oh and this is how i find out about names like emi.co.uk and falmouth.co.uk

:laugh:

If you had me on ignore in the first place, how were you able to read what I posted? :laugh:

You reckon 'falmouth.co.uk' is a great name? ;) Okay it's the name of a town in Cornwall but it's not a great name. I've looked at your site too and you can keep the lot, thanks. :laugh:

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah put it in your "no pile"

Why do you want it? :laugh:

I may actually go for it since, although I live in London, I also have a base in Cornwall and know the country rather well.

Best of luck.

_Ronnie_

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
David,

You're right about there not being a reference to the first-come-first-served basis on the site. I'll clarify that when I get a minute tomorrow. I mean, I know our US customers might think that the highest bidder will get the booking... :)

At last count this week, just over 80% of bookings are for 3rd parties. I will not advertise many of them on the site because firstly, Google get upset when you just indiscriminately list domains and strike you off! :) Also, many of the domains for 3rd parties are not of interest to a potential customer - they're the sort that would have people on this forum rolling around on the floor laughing about :).

Oh well - I can't blame you for not publicising your domains :). I mean, if people knew about them then they may be tempted to pitch you an offer for them! :) I do understand that those who know that they want a domain will find it themselves, without the need to advertise - am only poking fun :).

It just looks like I'll have to load that whole PRSS into memory again and do a string search for THORNTON :). Oh, to have it in a database!
-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom