Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

hand registered...trouble coming?

Enerika

I'M ALL EARS... "FINALLY (thanks)!"
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I registered a "too good to be true" domain and later saw it come up under the domain of a large conglomerate, it is a dot com...what should I be ready for? What are my net steps? (I don't want to draw attention to it in case no one notices) It was unintentional and just a matter of newbie ignorance.

Domain summit 2024

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It depends on if your domain contains the full or partial trademark of the company.

It is hard to know how to answer without more specific details.

Based upon google search results alone I don't think there is an issue. I do seo all the and am often successful in placing my companies right under my competitors.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on if your domain contains the full or partial trademark of the company.

Based upon google search results alone I don't think there is an issue. I do seo all the and am often successful in placing my companies right under my competitors.
Thank you so much...I will check more carefully.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Thanks Maple, I was being cautious (...paranoid?!) by not posting this, as part of-
WePackAll.com
Look it up, if you wish...I should have, and will be doing so for all those "too good to be true" ones... and many others, athough knowing which ones qualify will take more than THESE instincts!
live and learn...or look foolish, "Enerika"!

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Right under them", eh? That's smart!

TomAlciere

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You could be subject to a UDRP action to take away your domain. That's what MADD did to me. See MADD v. Tom Alciere (times 2)
I noticed they had chapter domains like MADDNEWYORK.ORG so I registered MADDNY.ORG and, sure enough, people guessing wrong when they typed in the domain name stumbled on my site exposing the ugly truth about that hate group.

I provoked those hate-mongering bigots so much, I am proud. Now they have converted most of those chapter sites to directories or sub-directories of MADD.ORG and that destroys the valuable illusion of local autonomy.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You could be subject to a UDRP action to take away your domain. That's what MADD did to me. See MADD v. Tom Alciere (times 2)
I noticed they had chapter domains like MADDNEWYORK.ORG so I registered MADDNY.ORG and, sure enough, people guessing wrong when they typed in the domain name stumbled on my site exposing the ugly truth about that hate group.

I provoked those hate-mongering bigots so much, I am proud. Now they have converted most of those chapter sites to directories or sub-directories of MADD.ORG and that destroys the valuable illusion of local autonomy.
I'm glad you got your point across. I don't have any emotional ties to the name. I am going to wait and see. I'm not trying to get anything going, it was totally unintentional.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Let me get this straight... You consider Mothers against drunk drivers "hate-mongering bigots and a hate group"?

I guess you base this on them defending their legitimate IP?

Just do not register domain names based on profiting on others intellectual property. That is called cyber squatting and is what is wrecking our reputation in the general public.

TomAlciere

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
MADD does not care about drunk driving, they only hate everybody younger than 21, no matter how responsibly the person drinks alcohol. Visit my STOPTHEMADDNESS.ORG and UDADD.COM as this is fast getting off topic. The domains involved in the UDRP pointed to websites very similar to my STOPTHEMADDNESS.ORG and were damaging to the enemies of liberty.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what you think about their cause you should not register domain names solely based on others IP. You lose as a business person, they lose as a company and we lose as an industry.

To be a domainer is different from being a cyber squatter

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PS...

I read some of your site text and you completely lost me already in the begining paragraph.. "MADD’s sponsors don’t want surviving family members to realize how much drunk driving is caused by intense bureaucratic hostility against persons who are not driving ".

Drunk driving is a personal choice. Not at all caused by "bureaucratic hostility". Take some responsibility for your own actions.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a website once called ByeByeBestBuy.com

I was all over the national news because it was when Best Buy came to Canada and could not compete. They then bought our FutureShop chain and were going to shut it down.
I was successful in keeping the stores open for years until BestBuy finally incorporated them into the BestBuy family.

Eventually though some stores did close due to the Amazan factor but a lot of the original FutureShop locations are still open running as BestBuy.

So you can incorporate a business name into a protest site name.

I was fighting for Canadian jobs, I picked my battle carefully and I chose the name right as ByeByeBye (the song) was very popular and I used it as my theme song.

It was a very effective campaign and I still have all the news recordings.

Not sure if I would want to take on MADD though, with the zero tolerance to drinking and driving it would be an uphill battle trying to take on any organization that is trying to get kids from being killed.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To clarify I was not talking about his protest sites but the heap of sites mentioned in the UDRPs.. Which had nothing to do with protests and all to do with cyber squatting.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To clarify I was not talking about his protest sites but the heap of sites mentioned in the UDRPs.. Which had nothing to do with protests and all to do with cyber squatting.

Yes I understand that, I was more trying to talk about the use of a business name in a protest website.

Something like BadAppleKeyboards.com to protest a known apple issue. It would be highly unlikely they would ever win a UDRP against something like that. Even a trademark issue would have a tough time.

Now having BadAppleKeyboards for sale might be problematic because the domain is not actually a protest site or even in use, it would exist only to make money off a trademark or to force the trademark owner into a purchase. In that case, probably a UDRP loss.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight... You consider Mothers against drunk drivers "hate-mongering bigots and a hate group"?

I guess you base this on them defending their legitimate IP?

Just do not register domain names based on profiting on others intellectual property. That is called cybersquatting
I'm glad you got your point across. I don't have any emotional ties to the name. I am going to wait and see. I'm not trying to get anything going, it was totally unintentional.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
SO...
Saying that I was glad he had gotten his point across may possibly be misconstrued, by "some" as as my supuport of his ...."$%#@"!
Actually, I was ignorant, but any infringement or malice towards anyone by way of cybersquatting or anything else of the sort. I found a great "dot com: name and was happy, oblivious ...blame it on my "NEWBINESS", (how long can I get away with that one?!)to anything AT ALL other than being so smart! I wanted to thank him for his input, of which some of was educational to me. I was attempting to attend to the part of his message that spoke to the legalities of which may have come into question with relation to my great new domain name..." WePackAll.com: without venturing, as was his obvious, thinly -veiled intention, into his misguided, IMO, way of thinking/cause, or to give further voice to that "@%$&"
I am a human being against drunk driving. End of story.
To clarify, I was not talking about his protest sites but the heap of sites mentioned in the UDRPs.. Which had nothing to do with protests and all to do with cyber squatting.
and is what is wrecking our reputation in the general public.

If any part of the above was intended for/directed at me, ENERIKA. then hear this ...Oblivious to any reasonable idea or attempt to encroach/infringing in any way on any already established business with any ulterior motive, I happened to come across a domain name I liked ...I felt lucky beyond belief! My reply to the guy with the New York thing going on with MADD was meant to be totally impartial, just meaning to say that IF he really wanted to put some point across, for whatever reason he had done so. I quickly went on to thank him for the share of HIS OWN legal dispute.
I am totally against drunk driving. PERIOD (oh, and I support MADD all the way)

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not aimed at you at all Enerika ;) Sorry for derailing your thread.
Ha ha ...I take things so personally sometimes. but looking foolish can be really good...for me, anyway...So much of me to laugh at when I get to laugh first! Fun!
Thanks for the derailing...anytime!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators