Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Hard-Drive.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hard-Drive.com was registered in 1995.

What do you think?

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see hyphenated domains selling to U.S. end users. Germany is another story.

So unless somebody has had personal success selling hyphenated domains within the USA, I don't see high value here. If you can sell it, sell it.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mid - hi $x,xxx, imo.

it seems equally good (or maybe even better?) compared to harddrive.com in this case, because of double d.

Thanks for the input. I tend to agree with your valuation.

I don't see hyphenated domains selling to U.S. end users. Germany is another story.

So unless somebody has had personal success selling hyphenated domains within the USA, I don't see high value here. If you can sell it, sell it.

I appreciate the response. I think hyphens are a deterrent to domainers more than they are to endusers.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone else willing to appraise this domain?

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would say you list it at 7K BIN, that should be a fair price...

Addiitional advice : Try to sell it yourself. This is a declining trend in the IT field overall. Now search is trending better for SSDs, that HDDs. If I were you, I would try to generate leads for it myself and do my homework. This should help you sell it faster and DIRECT, so you have a better financing exercise+ you save the commission costs.
Source : I work in the IT Sales field for 10+ years now.
Good Luck

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It works for the domain, obviously it's not nearly as good as the non hyphenated version. I would think a realistic sale is mid $x,xxx enduser, way lower for reseller

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would say you list it at 7K BIN, that should be a fair price...

Addiitional advice : Try to sell it yourself. This is a declining trend in the IT field overall. Now search is trending better for SSDs, that HDDs. If I were you, I would try to generate leads for it myself and do my homework. This should help you sell it faster and DIRECT, so you have a better financing exercise+ you save the commission costs.
Source : I work in the IT Sales field for 10+ years now.
Good Luck

Thanks for the appraisal. Owning this domain makes me wonder how long it'll be until hard drives die like diskettes. One day, it'll all be in the cloud. *shutters*

It works for the domain, obviously it's not nearly as good as the non hyphenated version. I would think a realistic sale is mid $x,xxx enduser, way lower for reseller

Thanks Focus. Out of curiosity, what would you appraise harddrive.com at?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HardDrive.com is a six figure domain. Hard-Drive.com is a good name, I only appraised it as it sits assuming no development, no stats or rev, no special circumstances, and so on. Could it be sold for $xx,xxx? Absolutely. Not likely, but there could always be some enduser out there who loves it. As you said though, hard drives are not going to be around forever and the term is not as popular as it likely once was so there is that aspect. If I owned a hard drive company and needed the name (and had money to throw around) I might not sneeze at 10k for it, but let us remember these appraisals are only as good as what someone is willing to pay for the domain name and the reality is that could be nothing to everything. :cool:

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
HardDrive.com is a six figure domain. Hard-Drive.com is a good name, I only appraised it as it sits assuming no development, no stats or rev, no special circumstances, and so on. Could it be sold for $xx,xxx? Absolutely. Not likely, but there could always be some enduser out there who loves it. As you said though, hard drives are not going to be around forever and the term is not as popular as it likely once was so there is that aspect. If I owned a hard drive company and needed the name (and had money to throw around) I might not sneeze at 10k for it, but let us remember these appraisals are only as good as what someone is willing to pay for the domain name and the reality is that could be nothing to everything. :cool:

Thanks again. I'm not sure if I should auction this one at NameJet, hold onto it, or develop. I'm torn between all 3 options. :upset:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Flood-Insurance :cool:

Hard-Drive.com might not be that hard to develop out and with the dash it is search engine friendly so you could likely pick up traffic & rev quickly. ;)

Maybe a simple site with info related to data recovery services, external & replacement hard drive products and things of that nature, product reviews, some adsense banners, the usual. People seem to have good results selling those on Flippa.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Flood-Insurance :cool:

Hard-Drive.com might not be that hard to develop out and with the dash it is search engine friendly so you could likely pick up traffic & rev quickly. ;)

Maybe a simple site with info related to data recovery services, external & replacement hard drive products and things of that nature, product reviews, some adsense banners, the usual. People seem to have good results selling those on Flippa.

Flood-Insurance is a good name. Take that all you hyphen haters!

I was thinking about developing Hard-Drive into a file hosting service. The name would work well for that purpose..

The hyphen kills it. Have you had offers on this?

I just picked the domain up less than a week ago. :D

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
flood-insurance would be very attractive in UK at present

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The name is pretty much worth zero. Run it through a thread here and if you get a few hundred for it I'll buy you a house. If a name can only possibly be valuable if developed then it is almost always worth zero. It is just garbage, really. No insight involved at all. Why not register Hard--Drive, with two hyphens? It is the same thing. There was a trend where people were pumping up the value of hyphenated names. Whatever. Go build a real business on a hyphenated name and the bigger your business gets, the bigger your problem gets, as you are giving away tons of value to the regular dotcom.

It has to stop pretty soon. How many suicides and bankruptcies on Dn Forum will it take for people to be able to comprehend what makes a name have worth? This reminds me of idiot stock traders who have no concept at all of the principles that Warren Buffett's uses, nor have they taken the time to actually study all of Warren Buffett's investment decisions that he has made, that are pretty much all available with simple research.

The name sucks, just like 99 percent of names here. You just cannot reasonably expect to get ahead in life when you dedicate your life to crap like this. Go chat up a good looking girl on the street and tell her about your ideas. Hey, sweetie, I registered Hard Drive.com. No, Hard Hyphen Drive.com. Get it? Do you like spaghetti? Blank stare.

The name is cancerous and wastes every person's time who is forced to look at. Anyone who appraises it at any number over 10 cents needs to be willing to pay that right now or get out of the thread. If you appraise this name for anything over minus 50 dollars you are a clown. People in third world countries have to fight diseases of all kinds, have no clean drinking water, and no shot at a good life, and here you are spending time on names like this, and then forcing others to think about it by starting a thread.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Run it through a thread here and if you get a few hundred for it I'll buy you a house.

I would love to take you up on that offer. Are you willing to put it in writing?

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the appraisal. Owning this domain makes me wonder how long it'll be until hard drives die like diskettes. One day, it'll all be in the cloud.

Even the "cloud" involves physical data storage somewhere. The technology competing with hard drives would be flash memory (solid-state drives). Cloud storage just involves putting your "belongings" (i.e. data) in a remote storage unit / hosting center rather than keeping them at home.

Your laptop and tablet and smart phone will still need to store data themselves, no matter how pervasive remote cloud hosting becomes.

And not all of us are thrilled with our data being kept elsewhere. "The Cloud" makes government censorship and Google-type spying a whole lot easier, for example. Local storage devices are more secure in that sense.

Maybe the general public will be lured into the cloud. But there will still be some of us who store data in an object we can see and touch -- something Big Brother can't just erase without our knowledge or permission.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog, dude you need to slow up on the haterade my brother are you all coked up or something?? I think your negative rant may have been a bit overboard don't you?? Yes, definitely. Appraise the name but don't appraise the appraisers or its time to get appraised yourself ;)

You might also end up owing this dude a house! :lol:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would love to take you up on that offer. Are you willing to put it in writing?

He did put in writing, however the type of house was not specified (smart) :lol:

Doll house!? :cool:

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the appraisal. Owning this domain makes me wonder how long it'll be until hard drives die like diskettes. One day, it'll all be in the cloud. *shutters*

I think that we're closer than you may realize (I've been in IT for about 25 years, work wise.) to physical storage being outdated. There will always be a need, but as mentioned by Chris above, the current trend is towards high end (i.e. solid-state) storage and even moreso towards cloud storage on networked storage providers like Dropbox, Onedrive, iCloud, Google Drive, etc.

So, this is worth oodles more than , say, compact-disc.com (or even bluray-disc) but it's just a matter of time.

I say $xxxx (even with a dash which detracts, in English) but the value with decrease in time over the next few years, IMPO. :)

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators