Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Has there been any mega-buck sales lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I haven't been following the domain name biz real carefully, but I haven't noticed any really big sales lately.

Or have I just missed them?!

Domain summit 2024

The answer is yeah, I saw on that moreover.com news link that macromedia.somethin' (not .com) sold for a good bit of money (the figure was in, I dunno, the euro?, so I'm not sure exactly how much in US dollars).

So maybe the market is comin' back.

J

jimb

I doubt the market is coming back. People realize that its stupid to pay thousands of dollars for a domain name. Most of the big businesses now just trademark their names and then take domains from people.

Back in the old days, you didnt have to comply with trademarks, all that has changed.

Jim

Depends what you mean by mega bucks.

There have been a number of biggish private sales lately ($50k-$100k).

There was also an unconfirmed $1mill sale of a prominent .com from a company that went bust recently. But thats not seen the light of day in the news channels.

Companies do use their trademarks more, but if the domain is non coined/fanciful and is descriptive then even tm's shouldn't be a problem.

If the trademark is coined, then you shouldn't be registering domains that match it in the first place - so no real change there - the marker has just matured a little is all.

Originally posted by NameDepot
give us some names, we are gonna think you are lyin'.

Professional domain sellers respect their buyers privacy - if they trust you, they will tell you their sales in private and you would be expected to respect that privacy and not tell anyone else.

I know of several domain name sales in the $5M to $10M bracket, and one sale for $25M.

I know of several domain name sales in the $5M to $10M bracket, and one sale for $25M.

:)

So if you are not made privy to a sale, it hasn't happened?

Smart logic.

And I think I can see why people don't trust you enough to tell you their sales.

J

jimb

Originally posted by safesys

And I think I can see why people don't trust you enough to tell you their sales.

Tone it down, we aren't here to start a fight.

Jim

Originally posted by jimb

Tone it down, we aren't here to start a fight.
Jim

Fair comment, I just don't like someone insinuating that I am lying just because I respect the privacy of people who entrust me with their sales data. Keeping business transactions private is a common practice in the offline world - there is no mandatory requirement for disclosure in online transactions.

Outside of the sales that take place in open forums like afternic and ebay (which are mostly reseller to reseller and many buyers like their peers to know they are the purchasers) there are many private sales and as they are to end users the values tend to be much higher than you will see on the above mentioned sites.

Its true its not like it was in '99 - but there is still very solid revenue to be made in domain reselling/usage if it's approached as a business with normal business methodologies.

you can't say "I know of a domain that sold for x amount", and then not be willin' to back it up w/ the name.
I mean, you can, but then everyone (like me) is just gonna laugh at you (when you don't).

you can't say "I know of a domain that sold for x amount", and then not be willin' to back it up w/ the name.
I mean, you can, but then everyone (like me) is just gonna laugh at you (when you don't).

You don't seem to understand that you won't hear about the higher value sales automatically - these sales occur in private and details are not broadcast to the public at large.

If you aren't hearing about these sales, thats not my fault - but they are happening.

J

jimb

alright guys, lets keep it together here, or just close off the topic.

Your decision...

Jim

it looks like we are on topic, and the name-callin' has come to a halt.
Am I missin' somethin'?!
Originally posted by jimb
alright guys, lets keep it together here, or just close off the topic.

Your decision...

Jim

J

jimb

sorry guys,I guess that last post was alittle late.I just want us all to get along :)

Jim

darren

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, I have a question here.. what if I register a domain first before someone make a trademark on it? Am I still able to own the domain?

Originally posted by darren
well, I have a question here.. what if I register a domain first before someone make a trademark on it? Am I still able to own the domain?

You should be able to.

If the UDRP is strictly applied, it could not have been bad faith registration as the tm would not have existed - BUT sometimes they will allow a "common law" trademark which is not registered but allocated on the basis of prior trading with a particular name. If the company was not trading with that name in any capacity prior to your registration then you should be just fine. Also, its worth checking trademark status (tess.uspto.gov for us tm's - as sometimes tm's are not approved even though they appear in the tm search lists).

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary.

DotDealers

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Inn.com just sold for $40,830... (See Here)

Two years ago the same name probably would have gotten at least a million don't you think?

Doug

Seems a lowish figure even for todays market - if that was marketed to end users as well as domain resellers at afternic then I'm surprised it went for that figure.

Personally, I wouldn't use afternic to funnel end users into - as all they see is a myriad of domains that aren't selling or are selling for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators