Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

hello from philadelphia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishmeluck

Gold Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hi there everyone. this is my first post here. i just found out about this forum about a week ago and have been scouring it every since for juicy details and want to thank everyone already for all the amazing info i've learned here it really is superb!

i came across this place after spending a couple months first studying various aspects of SEO from some of the various SEO and pro blogger celeb sites.

I dont feel like my knowledge of SEO is where I would like it yet, perhaps 20% there. Like most things in life, there is no end to learning and I do enjoy researching. I understand the easy SEO stuff like optimizing an HTML, and the positive nature of backlinks, and having a large social graph -- none of which I currently have! :lol:

Where I am weaker still is my knowledge of advertising. The various metrics used has been quite difficult to get a handle over and only now beginning to grasp the meaning of selling traffic vs buying traffic, CPM, CPA, PPC, etc. There is such a bewildering array of various monetization strategies involving the various affiliate networks its quite head spinning:?:

In a previous life I used to work as a mgmt consultant. I did Tech Research and Tech Architecture. Also Operations/Sysadmin stuff.

I once cofounded an ISP too... probably forgot by now more than i ever knew, that was back in 1995. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to start collecting domains back then -- whoops :asleep: guess i was sleeping.

I do own 2 domains from back then -- i might have registered them in 1996 or so -- Now I have realized that they have apparently aged nicely for SEO purposes-- not that I'm sure I would want to part with it-- my very own surname.net, a dictionary CCCCC.net word.

And also a fullname.com. So these 2 I've been holding onto for the past 12 years never even considered monetizing them. Didn't know! They are not even parked, I wonder how much I lost!

Now this was kinda strange because even back in 1996 my CCCCC.com dictionary surname was taken so I had to settle for the .net. We had printed out the entire domain registry to see what was available. It was only about 1/3" think...maybe 40 pages of domain names were listed.

Well, I figured at least I'd have bragging rights to a kinda cool .net which always got me strange looks when i mentioned it, since no one really had heard of a .net before....this was the time of PPP, Winsock.dll, and 28.8kbps modems, BSD, roll your own billing software, and us trying to educate people why they should move off of AOL to the "real" internet ....and lets not forget those 1M+ generic premium domain names for the taking. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, thats my story. I've got tons of questions and hopefully I can contribute in some way here. Is it best to create lots of separate questions in separate topics or just throw a bunch altogether in 1 post?

Also I don't know if it's appropriate but I saw others do it so I'm gonna go with it, so if anyone would be so kind to float me a few of those funny money credits so I can get into the other sections here that would be most excellent and perhaps someday I could return the favor. Thanks and talk to you soon

Steve

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club mate! And all the best. =D

damage

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome Steve. Nice to read of your experiences :).
Good Luck and enjoy your time at DNForum.

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Greetings :)

I was involved in an ISP in the mid-nineties too. I think you'll find others with a similar background here, among people with all kinds of different backgrounds. Which is one of the reasons this place is interesting.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One question, are you Eagles fan? You better be because your from Philly. So, if your Eagles fan than welcome aboard if not well then it depends on the team... LOL. Welcome Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators