Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Hello from San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicksite

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a web UX Designer -- that new term "User Experience" designer that folded together a whole bunch of specialized practice areas into an umbrella term that connotes you are advocating for the consumer or end user of a website -- and designing to achieve the marketing or business goals of the site but thru the lens of the end user based on a consumer's behavior and reaction to what he sees or perceives upon arrival to a site.

The specialty design areas UX has now come to umbrella include information architecture, navigation design, content structure design, visual transition design, interaction design, form submission design, transaction design (any registration or ecommerce system that proceeds along a sequence), wireframe design (page-layout from a generic content inclusion point of view, not its actual design layout) and demo/overview design that teaches user how to use the site.

The simpler way to think of it is this: UX design is like screenwriting is to a movie. It creates the entire experience and all choices and sweeping arc of content. Graphic Designers come along and develop the top layer, the look and feel, the branding and distinctive execution of everything that has been specified in the UX "script". UX is not engineering, though, sadly, when engineers assume that role, as they often do at Google, you end up with Google Wave.

I used to perform these services for others, but now I make websites for things I actually like and want to use, and if I can make them become profitable, I am happy.

I wanted to differentiate here that I am not a "portfolio" holder, if that is what it is called, brokering in names, as the way I make money. Though I may be wrong, I think a large majority of people here are, and so I am the aberratioin from the norm, but I ran into some problems recently with a sedo.com transaction, got tired of not knowing how to deal with bad faith negotiation, and sought to find a community where I could seek advice and assistance at times.

MORE BACKGROUND, just fyi -- I realize my introduction is probably more than anybody cares to read, but for the one or two who might, "this Bud's for you". Prior to working in interactive media, I worked in Film & TV development & production in L.A., then advertising & marketing design where I learned and honed branding skills. Over the years thru the multiple media disciplines I've moved though, I've always increased my knowledge of what people want, what they like, what they don't like, and why.

I have a good ear for what works for the sites I choose to build, or develop as a proof of concept prototype. So, as it pertains to DNforum, and domain mames, 99% of the time I register the names I actually want for a project, and when or if they are taken, I move to other candidates, because it is rare that a specific name is a show-stopper. And quite often the unavailability of a name I thought i really wanted, forces a new brainstorm round and I breakthrough with a completely new take, and find a better name.

*** BUT *** Periodically, of course, there come times when I'd like a specific name, it's not available, and I'd like to buy it, if reasonable for my budgets. I use the WHOIS tools and contact the owner and give it a shot. And maybe 5, 6, 7 times I have tried a site like sedo or snapnames or some other -- but this is over course of past 20 years, so I don't have day-in/ day-out transactional experience in these matters.

I have acquired a few domains over time from the hundreds of dollars to the several thousand dollars but it's never been anything close to $5000 and beyond. That's just not the league I am in and won't be in, unless there comes a time in future where there is a huge project I do that becomes funded as a true business startup with legal entity, and some partner has financial resources.

I am laying out here, in this extraordinarily long intro, the category of User/Member I am so that I can make best use of the wide knowledgebase of experts here who ARE in the domain buying & selling business -- in how to handle certain types of transactions where I hit snags.

Such as: We disagree on what something is worth, and worth is a subjective matter. So is there anything I can try to do to move things into my price range? And what are the signs that it's not going to happen, so just move on...

The whole back-side to this industry I don't understand, and sometimes there is posturing, other times something is out of my league, and that is perfectly fine. But that is why I have joined here. To get help in those very occasional situations, because I am not brokering. Everything I seek is because I want to develop it, or it surrounds a property I already am developing.

To the one person who finished this long intro, the secret code word is green. Hah hah. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd read through all of that but I did. Welcome to the forum buddy.

Haha...the allusion to Google Wave cracked me up. How long did you work in Film & TV production in L.A?

quicksite

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
welcome on the forum mate!

oh thank you... but looks like maybe they'll be shipping me out soon. I already caused a ruckus, which, i admit, in retrospect, was a bit over the top. I will just leave it at that. So you are from Romania? I am sorry I did not get to visit your country when I was in central Europe a few years ago, but I had business in Serbia, and then Czech Republic... But I would love to visit Romania one day. I have to tell you that one of the things I find most exciting, as an unusual American, is the breakdown of the old "superpower" economy, and the rise of the global economy. In the past 5 years I have seen SO MUCH software engineering and design work coming out of Romania, I just love it. I have been a member for past 5 years of the largest touchscreen phone development community in the world, XDA-developers, and there are developers from easily over 100 countries -- from every continent -- and *all nationalities are invisible* -- people are peers, and it is so cool to see on any given smartphone or app thread someone from Cairo will be posting then someone from China, then someone from Finland, then Kenya, then Russia, then Peru, then Australia, then Romania, then Scotland, then Israel, then Iran, then Japan , it goes on and on -- and I love it....

Ibe

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DNF

Green :eek:)

quicksite

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd read through all of that but I did. Welcome to the forum buddy.

Haha...the allusion to Google Wave cracked me up. How long did you work in Film & TV production in L.A?

hahhah, well, I wrote an essay about Eric Schmidt trying to say "no one knows why it didn't gain traction"... Umm, yes they do. For starters, nomenclature. If they had at the vey least just let the product be branded as WAVE, but call the objects in the Inbox "threads" or "messages", hundreds of thousands of people would have almost instantly gotten a handle on 'what is it?' ---- as some form of enhanced messaging system... And they could then work from the familiar into the new -- into the real-time collaborative dialoging and sub-threading and editing etc. The single biggest impediment to Google Wave (and there were more, but the biggest one) was CALLING the objects "waves"... Dumbest thing on earth... Had no natural intuitive connection to anything familiar. So they sabotaged it unknowingly with that mistake, then further ensured its lack of adoption by a clunky user interface... okay but enough of that.

Film biz? About 10 years -- part of that time paralleled my leap into Advertising Design & marketing // then into interactive media. Are you west coast USA?

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

I guess that didn't last for long... :lol:

Just kidding, welcome to the forum. :)

Ha ha hah hah hah! Oh god, that is a long story. The story is longer than the business opportunity, that is for sure. I'm just laughing that you even said that. Poor Serbia... They kicked out their superstar, Tesla, only to later claim him many years later as their hero after he struck fame in the USA.... ... But I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, most of it was personal travel, with some speculative business --- I have to say, you know it;s bad when even Serbs themselves say "Serbians seem to have a terrible work ethic" ... But I made some good friends, and I loved the area where I lived, Trstenik, on a beautiful river....

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Welcome to DNF

Green :eek:)

The secret code! Darn, I have no prize. I am sorry. I must now send myself back to Serbia as penance.

Thank you for the welcome, all of you.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm in Maryland. I do a little screenwriting. That's why I inquired about film biz. I'll send you a pm about some questions regarding film dev and prod. Perhaps you'll be able to help me with some ideas about how to deal with the studio system and producers. :)

quicksite

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm in Maryland. I do a little screenwriting. That's why I inquired about film biz. I'll send you a pm about some questions regarding film dev and prod. Perhaps you'll be able to help me with some ideas about how to deal with the studio system and producers. :)

I'll do my best to provide anything of use. I've been away for 12 years but friends are still in the biz and the basic operating rules have not changed. I will be offline here most of the rest of day... but happy to help next time i log in and get your PM.. til then, adios, and thanks for the welcomes!

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi QuickSite,
I heard san francisco is the best. Is this true? There's no one I know from San Francisco who doesn't love it. Everytime they leave, they end up going back.

Good to meet you.

Vincent

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
welcome to DNF - great source of info and people willing to assist.

KBX

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
welcome aboard mate

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators