Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

HELP! Someone trademarked my domain name 4 years after I registered it!

orangestar

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good Day,
I'm hoping someone may have some feedback on the following situation. I registered a domain 5 years ago and have been working on developing it. Due to a very serious family illness, the plans were put on hold and now, I'm starting back working on it.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can and came across the knowledge "Don't Buy a trademarked domain name!".
In my situation, I registered the domain name 4 years prior to the trademark and the commerical products they are selling have nothing to do with my type of product.
However, after finding out that someone else trademarked the domain name, I'm not sure what my options are. 1. Can I still develop the website and proceed onward because product lines are completely different? 2. What if I decide to sell the domain name instead (abandon the project and just sell it to another person?). 3. Can I sell the domain name if I want? 4. If I do, I know instinctively it would be proper to reveal to the future buyer that there is a trademark on the name 5. Is it even allowed to sell a domain name to an interested buyer who wants it despite the fact there is a trademark on it? Thanks for any feedback. I simply do not have any money for an attorney at this time and there doesn't seem to be much info on the web about this particular set of circumstances. Thanks and have a super week ahead! :)

Domain summit 2024

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if your space is different than that of the tm holder you can develop.
if you sell it the person purchasing it is supposed to do research on the domain. had you registered your domain after the tm was filed and known about it then it would be different story but you did not. good luck.--

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
PM me the actual domain for an objective assessment. PS: I am not a lawyer.

orangestar

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if your space is different than that of the tm holder you can develop.
if you sell it the person purchasing it is supposed to do research on the domain. had you registered your domain after the tm was filed and known about it then it would be different story but you did not. good luck.--
Thanks for your great feedback!

ulterios

Don't look back, it's confusing!
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you are not in the same field/niche as the Trademark holder than you should be fine. You are just not allowed, in any way, to profit from his Trademark. By profiting, that means making money from the same field that the Trademark holder holds the TM in, parking the domain and serving ads related to the TM holders field, etc...

Dushan Savich

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are not in the same field/niche as the Trademark holder than you should be fine. You are just not allowed, in any way, to profit from his Trademark. By profiting, that means making money from the same field that the Trademark holder holds the TM in, parking the domain and serving ads related to the TM holders field, etc...

exactly...for example there is nothing in the world stopping me from making McDonalds optical lenses, I just can not use the McDonalds logo with the 2 arches or sell hamburgers...nissan.com is a great example...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators