Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

intro Hi!

This thread is a member's introductory post on DNForum.com.

Garuseptillion

Level 1
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm Gary and i am brand new to the game. I spent the last week or so buying up no-so-great domain names. When they didn't sell I tried outbounding a few of them and justifying their value, I STARTED to get it. So i'm here to make mistakes and learn. Hope to read and learn as much as I can.

Carry on!

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DNForum Gary!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm Gary and i am brand new to the game. I spent the last week or so buying up no-so-great domain names. When they didn't sell I tried outbounding a few of them and justifying their value, I STARTED to get it. So i'm here to make mistakes and learn. Hope to read and learn as much as I can.

Carry on!

Hi Gary

your story is the same as so many others who join "the game".

typically, they register those "not so great" domains and having "heard" about "flipping" in the broadest sense, they think it will be a breeze\

they read about "outbounding" which basically is sending unsolicited emails or "spamming" and when that doesn't work... they wonder why

people are not sitting around waiting for your email to arrive in their inbox and when you have to "justify or explain any benefits it might have" -
then obviously the value to them is not apparent.

that being said,
we are glad to have you here, and hopefully, we can enlighten you about the truths and falsehoods relating to domaining.

feel free to ask about anything you find questionable.

Good Luck!

Welcome to DNForum.com

imo...

Garuseptillion

Level 1
Reaction score
Yes to all of that.

Of course there are people that sell domains to end users at a higher price. Do you mean that what most people consider ‘outbounding’ is done incorrectly and should be classified as spamming?

Thanks for the reply

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that what most people consider ‘outbounding’ is done incorrectly and should be classified as spamming?

Hi

outbounding is spam, period

it's a relatively new term in domaining, which is used so they don't have to say they spammed somebody.

a lot of newbies do it, because they are told that's what others do

some have success at it, and many don't

it's a "monkey see, monkey try to do" type of thing.

imo...

Garuseptillion

Level 1
Reaction score
That’s interesting. So until very recently domainers only did their deals with other domainers or through inbound sales? Where do brokers come into play?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we did deals, with whomever could pay the price, and it's still that way today

I don't care if you're a domainer or end-user, only concerned with price

still, there were some who were sending emails, making phone calls etc, but the pervasiveness of it, wasn't so publicized and glorified, as it is today.
that's why you have terms like 'outbounding' now

as for brokers, they can work either side or both sides of the coin
but there are a lot of "wanna-be a broker", who try to come-up, off others peoples names.

real brokers though, only deal with quality domains.

imo...

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do end user outreach which I would call outbounding that certainly is not spam.

It becomes spam when you send the same email to more than one person. If you research your target, find the right person to contact in the company and construct a sensible offer email, then its just a legitimate as any other purveyor doing outreach.

In general though you should really think about if the company will benefit from owning precisely your domain name. Many people do outreach on domains that do not warrant it and frankly that is just a waste of time. If there are 100s or even 10s of alternatives to your domain name, then why would they not just pick one of those at reg fee?...

Garuseptillion

Level 1
Reaction score
In general though you should really think about if the company will benefit from owning precisely your domain name. Many people do outreach on domains that do not warrant it and frankly that is just a waste of time. If there are 100s or even 10s of alternatives to your domain name, then why would they not just pick one of those at reg fee?...

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. It seems like a large hurdle currently is learning how to evaluate a domain based on what sells in the market vs. my own personal tastes.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A good list to search would be the past sales on sites like dnjournal, if you see what sells there, you can get an idea of what will sell to your target market.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators