Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

High Bidder at NW - Dotster Gets It But I Don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NameWinner Guy
...The problem was limited to .org domains...

NameWinner

If I may quote a line from the movie "Independence Day": "NOT EXACTLY!"

The two I never received in my account on 7/31 were ManhattanLadies.COM and NudeBlackWomen.NET!

(George DeCarlo just sent me an email. John is looking into it!)

Wm. M.

:worried:

Domain Summit 2024

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to clarify the discussion about the names going to an "invisible" bidder. We have found what has happened and are implementing a fix......We're fixing that as I write this so that we catch those overlap names on the day they actually delete. If the grabber is going for it, you can bet it'll get it before the instant registration Sorry for the confusion and I hope this clarifies the issue.

NameWinner

Interesting but this has nothing at all to do with my issue. BOTH of the domains in question, careereducation.org and homebroker.org DID drop on the correct day and were registered by Dotster on THAT day - not the next day. I checked PIR immediately after the drop and confirmed that Dotster got these names on the correct drop day (and for those wondering, yes PIR updates the WhoIS on .orgs immediately after the drop, unlike com and net where changes don't show up until the next day).

Also, NW customer support has already confirmed they got CareerEducation.org through bidding not instant registration. Further, CareerEducation.org had a bid of $36 (still shown on the system and obviously NOT an instant registration). Support claims higher proxy bids were placed even though no one in the public can see them.

I have heard complaints about the issue you describe but obviously it has NOTHING to do with the invisible bidders who supposedly beat me.

NameWinner Guy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I understand better now. I thought you were referring to the other problem which is now fixed. The proxy bid issue can be confusing because the outbid page has been offline. That will be fixed today. When a proxy bid outbids another users bid, the bid the user placed becomes the new high bid with the person who had the proxy as the high bidder. It would seem logical that instead of just becoming the high bid, the bid would actually increment a dollar but we never set it up to work that way. If we had we would have the opposite problem. If a person had a proxy bid of say 200 and you were bidding 200, who should have that bid? If we give it to the person who originally put the bid in than it would be easy to game the system and raise bids up to the proxy just by checking to see if the bid was incremented by a dollar. If we go the other way and give it to the new bidder we run into the exact opposite problem. The guy with the proxy bid would say he bid $200 so why didn't he get the name when the new bidder did for $200. I hope that makes sense. I'm always open to suggestions on how we can do this better. The one think I can say for sure it that any problems have logical explanations. There is nothing going on behind the scenes and there isn't a single customer that has any kind of special deal with us. The auction is a level playing field whether the customer spends thousands of dollars with us or just a hundred dollars.

I just checked CAREEREDUCATION.ORG and the bidder that won the domain had a proxy bid of $250. Your bid of $36 caused the bid price to be raised to $36 but since the other bidder had a proxy of $250 they were still the high bidder.

I also checked homebroker.org, this domain was registered through the instant registration and not the grabber. The was the problem I was referring to in the previous post which is now fixed.

Wm. M. - We are looking into your issue and should be getting back to you through email shortly.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just checked CAREEREDUCATION.ORG and the bidder that won the domain had a proxy bid of $250. Your bid of $36 caused the bid price to be raised to $36 but since the other bidder had a proxy of $250 they were still the high bidder.

This makes still makes no sense. His proxy bid would have forced the bid price to be $37. Showing the high bid at a number that is not really the high bid is ludicrous. How come Namewinner is the only auction on earth with this problem?

The issue remains with cases like careereducation and homebroker.org if you are saying invisible proxy bids override the bids the public can see. When you are outbid you don't know it and the system doesn't show it. If someone outbid me by proxy I should have received an outbid notice (instantly as well as by email) and I received neither. Even more importantly and absolutely critical to your credibility, their higher bid MUST show up on the system replacing mine. Otherwise you remain open to these charges I have heard ever since I entered this business that NW is dealing under the table.

Fixing the domains you were outbid on search feature would obviously help, but the information needs to be readily available and visible to all bidders (not accessible only through a single bidder's search functions).

With respect to homebroker.org - that domain dropped on Sunday and that is the day I placed my bid, so how is it that someone got it through an instant registration right in the MIDDLE of the drop (it is time stamped 10:44am right on the registration record)?

I will balance the criticism by saying that these are the first problems I have had with NW. The service has caught many profitable names at low prices for me so I vey much rely on the service. Otherwise, these issues would not bother me nearly as much and I would just stop using the service as others say they have.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still can't get an answer to my question to Namewinner about when they are going to have this supposed auction for the names fraudulently bid up to $2002 several months ago.

I was high bidder on some of these names and they still hold onto them saying they will be put up for auction. That isn't right. Nor is it right to promise an auction that never happens. What is going on with these guys?

This question was asked by email, by phone and in the threads here and at DS. NW just ignores the question.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stocdoctor
I still can't get an answer to my question to Namewinner about when they are going to have this supposed auction for the names fraudulently bid up to $2002 several months ago.

I was high bidder on some of these names and they still hold onto them saying they will be put up for auction. That isn't right. Nor is it right to promise an auction that never happens. What is going on with these guys?

This question was asked by email, by phone and in the threads here and at DS. NW just ignores the question.

Which raises an interesting question (kind of like is the glass half empty or half full). Is it better to have your questions ignored or to receive answers that don't make any sense? :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom