• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed HockeyGrandma.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

New Member
The Originals
Joined
Feb 28, 2004
Messages
30,303
Reaction score
2,217
HockeyGrandma.com

Surprisingly this is a common term, alongside "hockey mom". There are 219,000 results in Google for the term in quotes! Also, it appears that famous "hockey mom" Sarah Palin will soon become a "hockey grandma"; her teenage daughter is 5 months pregnant! :D

What do you think the domain is worth, since the term is generic enough to be used outside of current political events?
 
You know I'm just a newbie, so I won't try to appraise. But I wonder if you've noticed that the name can also mean 'beat Grandma,' as when you say you hockeyed someone - another person or team - in any sport, not just hockey. So it could be used for a game site where younger people try to beat older ones, or a particular 'Grandma' figure, in something - maybe a quiz.

Just my two cents, as they say. :)
 
Interesting twist, Monica - but it's all about hockey the sport :D
Maybe I should have Palin (or whoever) giving advice about NHL drafts and games :) (idea came from jaydab)
 
Any more ideas/suggestions?
 
Acro,

It seems you are the one with ideas here.... ;)
 
LOL I am looking for a couple of appraisals though :D
 
Im not the best as appraisals, but im afraid this name is not worth much. I've never even heard of hockey and grandma in the same sentence.
 
Obviously it's a play on "hockey mom".
There are thousands of results for "hockey grandma" in quotes. Grandmas are active in their grandkids' sports activities also. Hockey seems to be a popular sport - or at least that's what Sarah Palin wants us to believe :D
 
Your idea made me think of "hockey palin", this one is available as well: hockeypalin.com.

Obviously, hockey grandma is an end-user domain. Having to consider that all other extensions are still available as are related terms, hockeygrandmom.com and hockeygrandmother.com, you probably will not get much for it as all these options are available at reg fee.

It might be a fun domain to develop.
 
Well, I am not out there to open a grandma franchise about hockey, although a lot of results for "hockey grandma" return t-shirt designs etc. So it might be fun to develop indeed. The term "grandma" is much more common than "grandmother" etc. Perhaps more American than anything else :)
 
Not alot of sales for domains catering to the 'Grandma' audience.

I think this demographic is even less likely to own a computer...
 
This is without a doubt your best domain so far, keep it up!

End user $xx
 
Is this a hand reg after a long brain storm session... possibly fueled by alcohol and/or er... other stimulants?

I'm Canadian and I've never heard the phrase "hockey grandma" used in conversation at any point in my life. "hockey mom" yes.

Dunno what to suggest. I'd like to say reg fee, but I think it's worth something more. If you could find a rich end user hockey grandma, who's into blogging and administrating a forum about her and her hockey grandma friend's experiences, then I think you might have a winner here.
 
Is this a hand reg after a long brain storm session... possibly fueled by alcohol and/or er... other stimulants?

I'm Canadian and I've never heard the phrase "hockey grandma" used in conversation at any point in my life. "hockey mom" yes.

Dunno what to suggest. I'd like to say reg fee, but I think it's worth something more. If you could find a rich end user hockey grandma, who's into blogging and administrating a forum about her and her hockey grandma friend's experiences, then I think you might have a winner here.

Did you go to the web site? Or, as a Canadian, do not follow US politics?
Or did you not read that there are thousands of results for the term already in Google?

I can't hide that I registered it with Sarah Palin's daughter's pregnancy scandal in mind - and her public transition from a "hockey mom" to a ..."hockey grandma". But beyond this, it appears that it has potential as a slapstick hockey review site and/or merchandise point of sale. It's all about viral marketing.
 
regfee imho

you could do a blog about palin though and no doubt make some money on adesnse and even some tees if you had a cafepress link or something but tbh theres far more interesting and important things to do than blog about her lol

maybe xx resold on here
 
Ah, never seen so many narrow minds in one thread.
I don't plan to resell. The business model of flipping domains for "gas money" ended in 2004.
 
Did you go to the web site? Or, as a Canadian, do not follow US politics?
Of course I follow US politics, just not US tabloid politics. I couldn't give a toss about Sarah Palin's daughter or the fact she's going to be a "hockey grandma". I just looked at the site. Yeah man, that's a real winner there.

Or did you not read that there are thousands of results for the term already in Google?
Just because there are thousands of results doesn't mean that anyone is actually searching for that phrase.

I can't hide that I registered it with Sarah Palin's daughter's pregnancy scandal in mind - and her public transition from a "hockey mom" to a ..."hockey grandma". But beyond this, it appears that it has potential as a slapstick hockey review site and/or merchandise point of sale. It's all about viral marketing.
If you can find a way to really make this go viral then more power to you. It could be worth a whole lot. As it is, not so much.
 
I love it. :)

Totally outside the box.

At this point, it's priceless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom