Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed HomeTurf.com--online 6 years--almost 5000 total links.

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is not my name--but we know the owner. He recently put the name on sale--and I told him we would see what people thought about it. It is currently a wav file site offering downloads and such. It could be used for a lot of different purposes--especially sports related.

Please give some feedback so I can help him target in on a asking price. He already has one in mind--but I want to see what you guys think about it--so I can tell him if he is realistic or not.

Domain summit 2024

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like HomeTurf.com... it would be a great name for a wide variety of businesses. I would make a bid if I had the money.

The selling price would depend, I think, on what kind of a buyer is found:

* REALLY interested buyer --- $3k
* SOMEWHAT interested buyer --- $1k
* Reseller --- $500

I might be really wrong about this though. I don't have enough experience yet to make dead-on appraisals. The domain is currently on an EBAY auction, and this unfortunately doesn't tend to draw the interested buyers.

My evaluation is based on the name alone, I'm not sure how the traffic would factor in.

One thing that confuses me, looking at the HomeTurf.com traffic stats, is: Why is there so much more traffic Sept 2002 than Aug 2002?

Sept 2002 = 613652 total hits
Aug 2002 = 26155 total hits (more believable)

--David

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah--he just listed it on ebay. He needs to get a little more exposure--so I'm trying to help. Your numbers are about what he was thinking. He is hoping for 2K-3K--but I didn't want to give him any advice untill I got some more feedback.

I have no idea about the traffic stuff either.

I agree with you morel--I think it's a versatile name. I would bid on it too--but I already have many projects that I can't find enough time or money for.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I placed a bid on it :D

Mike

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cool Mike. :) It will get the ball rolling.

I would really like to own it myself--but I know he is going to hold out for more than I could ever pay.
Somehow--I doubt my $25 spending limit would win it. :D lol

P

President Gringo

Originally posted by morel
I

One thing that confuses me, looking at the HomeTurf.com traffic stats, is: Why is there so much more traffic Sept 2002 than Aug 2002?

Sept 2002 = 613652 total hits
Aug 2002 = 26155 total hits (more believable)

--David

I think the UK football season (or soccer season to you yanks :razz: ) starts in September.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that the owner take a wait-and-see approach.

If he is bent on selling the domain *now*, he almost certainly won't get more than $1k, and maybe not even that. The market isn't very good right now for sellers.

But if he waits, an interested buyer may make an offer within his price range ($2k-$3k). The problem is that a year could go by -- and no offer made.

Is the owner in dire straits? Does he need the money now?

If it's just that he cannot afford to invest more time in the site, then he might as well dismantle it. After all, whatever offer he gets is probably going to be based on the aesthetic quality of Home Turf, not traffic or wav content. Another possibility would be to move the site to a low-cost server and put ads on it. I would recommend fastclick.com. With his kind of traffic, he might be able to make just enough money to break even.

--David

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good points morel--I agree completely.

I don't think he is desperate--so he will likely hold out for a high number. Can't hurt to try though. He's a real nice guy.

Greg will probably buy it. He buys everything. :D

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL Greg--I'm telling you. It took me 5 minutes to even find the wav file downloads--that's what the site is supposed to be about. He's got some good Soutpark ones--once I found them.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You found them quicker then I :D

Mike

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To me, it is *completely unbelievable* some of you are assigning a value to the site without knowing about revenue and expenses.

The current standard is 4 to 6 times monthly profit. Website buyers do not care how much traffic the site has.

Some one I talked to yesterday wanted to sell a site that generates $400/yr (before expenses) for $1400 because they receive 20k worthless uniques a month. That site is a liability... it's worth maybe up to $200.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The only thing that is up for Auction is the Domain Name as his listing points that out, no site and no content included.

Website buyers do care about the current traffic a site is getting. With the right Webmaster behind the wheel of a heavily visited site making $ would not be a problem.

Mike

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Money could be made through advertising, banners etc...

Advertisers will be willing to pay more for a site that gets 1000s of hits compared to a 10 hit a day site.

Works the same for TV, if a show is popular and watched by millions it will cost a pretty penny to get a 30 sec. spot compared to some crappy show which has 5 viewers.

Mike

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The site has 212 incoming links. 5000 pages maybe, but not 5000 links. It does get an average of about 2000 visitors a day (looking for copyrighted wav files).

Tippy, are you the owner of HomeTurf.com? I only ask because I don't know the poster here who owns it, and the owner is also named Mike. ;)

Originally posted by Tippy
With the right Webmaster behind the wheel of a heavily visited site making $ would not be a problem.

Wrong. Some sites' traffic is nearly worthless. The only thing that site's traffic is good for is affiliate programs... and the owner realizes this. If you look at the links more closely you will see the the site is very heavily laced with affiliate programs.

The #1 indicator of that domain name's worth is determined by asking the owner how much revenue all of those affiliate links are generating.

Money could be made through advertising, banners etc...

Advertisers will be willing to pay more for a site that gets 1000s of hits compared to a 10 hit a day site.

Works the same for TV, if a show is popular and watched by millions it will cost a pretty penny to get a 30 sec. spot compared to some crappy show which has 5 viewers.

This isn't 1999. The online advertising industry is a joke right now. Especially for traffic of this quality. This site would get $.04 for every thousand banners. That's a whopping 8 cents a day.

Unless the owner is generating $500 a month in revenue (or there is some way for the new owner to generate $500 a month in revenue), the traffic that comes with the name is not worth $3k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators