Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How about a REAL DNF Auction section - proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Each auction will run 72 hours from posting.
The exact name of the domain will be posted in the title
The minimum acceptable bid (opening bid) is also posted in the title

Seller determines opening bid.
Seller can NOT CHANGE that opening bid amount once the auction is posted.
In other words, if you set opening bid too high, too bad.

From the moment the name it is posted, the auction begins and ends in 72 hours
If no bids, then no sale

However, the bidder may want to try to “Snipe” this auction in the last moments. Therefore, don’t be discouraged if there are no bids.
By posting in the auction subsection, the seller agrees to sell the domain at the opening bid if that is there are no other bids.

All bids posted are binding
  • The bidder cannot change or retract their bid
  • The bidder cannot add stipulations to the bid (ie, good for 24 hours).
  • The Auctions run and end at the 72 hour mark
  • Bidders agree to monitor their funds upon entering a bid as they have now entered into a binding agreement x 72 hours.

Once a bid is posted by a member, other members may bid higher amounts in MINIMAL increments:

$0.00 -$499.00 = $5.00 increments
$500.00 - $999.00 = $10.00 increments
$1000.00 -$2499.00 = $25.00 increments
$2500.00 - $4999 = $50.00 increments
$5000.00+ = $100.00 increments

In order to prevent the seller from changing the opening amount and to prevent the bidder changing their bid, this forum will be set up similar to legal postings – you cannot edit your comments previously posted.

Some restrictions:
The domain cannot be posted on auction at another website and under no active sales or negotiations.
The name cannot be listed for sale, for appraisal, or offers wanted subsections of DNF.
The name MUST BE OWNED by the member (seller) posting the auction
Only one domain listed at auction per member in a 24 hour period.

Payment is due within 48 hours
Seller may chose payment method
Transfer of ownership should take place within 24 hours of payment

Upvote 0

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree'd. However, I think auctions should require approval from Moderators. If you only allow quality domains to be auctioned on DNF you will increase interest in each individual auction, increase the forum's reputation and ensure both the Seller and Buyer are getting a good deal. Seems like a win-win to me.

Anyways - Thank you Gerry for taking the time to write this up. :)

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gerry, you definitely have the right idea. My only qualm with it is that a discussion board setting such as this is not the right way to go about a true "auction".

I say we should have a script similar to Sedo, or even eBay, perhaps branding it under auctions.dnf.com, or dnfauctions.com.

This way, "auction" domains can be viewed specifically, as opposed to other threads within the forum.

From what I understand, auction script plugins for vbulletin do exist. I'd say this is worth looking into, that way auctions can be conducted under our existing DNF profiles to retain credibility and reputations as necessary.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So many rules but automation would be nice.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i would vote for the ebay model - i little picture to advertise the name is always a plus

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
However, I think auctions should require approval from Moderators.
I think we take away from the forum if someone is determining what can (and cannot) appear.

Ensuring the buyer and seller are getting a good deal is a gut check for the buyer and seller:
Do I want to sell the domain this cheap?
I paid how much for this name?

Another alternative is only for platimum plus members (paid memberships) can post.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This way, "auction" domains can be viewed specifically, as opposed to other threads within the forum.
The particulars (how they want to run it/list the auctions) is up to the DNF powers that be.

My primary thoughts were to eliminate the "penny" auctions and get serious about the auction platform rather than members get outbid by someone bidding $1 more.

Keeping the postings contained in a subsection like the way the legal section is controlled (automated) prevents someone from changing, deleting, or trying to usurp someone else was a concern as well (at least that is the way I see it - don't start an auction at $500 and then come in and change it to $5.00 because no one had bid). In other words, "it is what it is".

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So many rules but automation would be nice.
Rules would be posted in new "subsection" and that is that.

Posting of rules once, reminder appears before seller post and bidders bid.

These rules are basically standard auction protocol. Yeah, it is pretty lame to have to remind someone to honor their bid. But that is the environment we are in.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another alternative is only for platimum plus members (paid memberships) can post.
Not often I get to quote myself, but to add onto this thought...

Seller and buyer must be paid members, not gold members.

This methodology should bring in new members into the fold. And, increased viewership once this catches on. You'd be surprised (or not) that one tweet can do on twitter to drive traffic.

Hopefully, in the end, this is a win/win/win for seller, buyer, and DNF.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rules would be posted in new "subsection" and that is that.

Posting of rules once, reminder appears before seller post and bidders bid.

These rules are basically standard auction protocol. Yeah, it is pretty lame to have to remind someone to honor their bid. But that is the environment we are in.

What I mean is it's hard enough to keep up with basic forum rules that an auction system with all the rules you listed just seems too complicated to keep up with and puts more work on the moderators.

Maybe if these rules were programmed into the threading system so that the only thing to remember is to simply bid like any other auction feature on any other bidding site.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe if these rules were programmed into the threading system so that the only thing to remember is to simply bid like any other auction feature on any other bidding site.
Works for me...just don't know how to construct something like that.

And, what also works for me is YOU as the new Auction Moderator!

YEAH, go Tia, go Tia, go Tia...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

we already have a section for that here:

http://www.dnforum.com/f150/

you can specify your criteria, starting bids, increments, ending dates, etc

however, as far as "binding" agreements, don't know if or how dnf could/would enforce that.

payments within 24hrs, may be a problem too, as this is world wide venue.

as some well established aftermarket venues still have issues with timely payments, as well as enforcing binding agreements.

imo...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think we take away from the forum if someone is determining what can (and cannot) appear.

Ensuring the buyer and seller are getting a good deal is a gut check for the buyer and seller:
Do I want to sell the domain this cheap?
I paid how much for this name?

I think you've misunderstood what I was getting at. The 1$ auction section doesn't receive much exposure because 99% of the names listed there are absolute crap. If only quality names were allowed to be auctioned people would make a habit of checking in on new listings, instead of assuming it's not even worth their time.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what people would expect from a $1.00 auction.

I do understand what you are saying.

But I did not intend for something like this to be a burden on Moderators. Nor do I think they should get flack for denying a person to list a domain for sale.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

we already have a section for that here:

http://www.dnforum.com/f150/

you can specify your criteria, starting bids, increments, ending dates, etc

however, as far as "binding" agreements, don't know if or how dnf could/would enforce that.

payments within 24hrs, may be a problem too, as this is world wide venue.

as some well established aftermarket venues still have issues with timely payments, as well as enforcing binding agreements.

imo...
I know the section exists. I was just looking/thinking of something with a little more structure. Having to view each individual auction and reviewing each and every restriction, criteria, etc ... simply create a platform where everyone knows the rules and the rules apply to all:

72 hour limit
Seller set opening bid
no editing posts
bid in set increments
If you bid and win, you pay
If you list and it sells, you transfer

Just a little nauseated looking at the auctions that seem to go on for eternity.

Some automation as mentioned might do the trick.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Each auction will run 72 hours from posting.
The exact name of the domain will be posted in the title
The minimum acceptable bid (opening bid) is also posted in the title

Seller determines opening bid.
Seller can NOT CHANGE that opening bid amount once the auction is posted.
In other words, if you set opening bid too high, too bad.

From the moment the name it is posted, the auction begins and ends in 72 hours
If no bids, then no sale

However, the bidder may want to try to “Snipe” this auction in the last moments. Therefore, don’t be discouraged if there are no bids.
By posting in the auction subsection, the seller agrees to sell the domain at the opening bid if that is there are no other bids.

All bids posted are binding

• The bidder cannot change or retract their bid
  • The bidder cannot add stipulations to the bid (ie, good for 24 hours).
  • The Auctions run and end at the 72 hour mark
  • Bidders agree to monitor their funds upon entering a bid as they have now entered into a binding agreement x 72 hours.

Once a bid is posted by a member, other members may bid higher amounts in MINIMAL increments:

$0.00 -$499.00 = $5.00 increments
$500.00 - $999.00 = $10.00 increments
$1000.00 -$2499.00 = $25.00 increments
$2500.00 - $4999 = $50.00 increments
$5000.00+ = $100.00 increments

In order to prevent the seller from changing the opening amount and to prevent the bidder changing their bid, this forum will be set up similar to legal postings – you cannot edit your comments previously posted.

Some restrictions:
The domain cannot be posted on auction at another website and under no active sales or negotiations.
The name cannot be listed for sale, for appraisal, or offers wanted subsections of DNF.
The name MUST BE OWNED by the member (seller) posting the auction
Only one domain listed at auction per member in a 24 hour period.

Payment is due within 48 hours
Seller may chose payment method
Transfer of ownership should take place within 24 hours of payment

Great idea.

I think if you make these auctions open to the public too, that would eventually be the biggest auction palace in the world.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ther is something MUCH bigger in the works that will be mindblowing...

If there is somone that can keep a secret email me at [email protected] and I will tell you about it.

Adam

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great idea.

I think if you make these auctions open to the public too, that would eventually be the biggest auction palace in the world.
The public would be more than welcomed...if they are a member.

Many of us have had to endure repeated non-paying bidders.

Other venues do not have a membership, or paid membership.

The word would get around. And those on the outside would want to be part of the inside. And they would jump into the auction and into the forum.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ther is something MUCH bigger in the works that will be mindblowing...

If there is somone that can keep a secret email me at [email protected] and I will tell you about it.

Adam

feel free to pm

this is SOO needed Adam
plus I am sure I don't just speak for myself but anyone who's anyone has account at dnf or perouses at minimum, same people on snap and namejet
ok they will buy expired there anyway
but snaop and namejet are parasites and hate paying 20% same as scum sedo upping to 15%
I am sure members would gladly pay 5 - 10% commission here to go towards dnf running costs and make better experience
maybe free for first couple months to get going and for people to see names get sold here

great idea Ger and I guess young Adam was on this anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom