Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How can I find out if a trademark exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaniilKharms

I have just registered a domain name and wish to find out if it is trademarked, wher can I find this info out?

Also if it hasn't been trademarked yet, can they get the domain from once they trademark it.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those will give you registered trademarks. However, a mark doesn't need to be registered to have trademark status, as the lawyers in this forum have mentioned in the past.

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
George K,

You're right about common law marks. But it never hurts to check the PTO Database at the links suggested above for federal registrations. Also keep in mind that TESS is not always current, so while it may appear that a potential mark is clear, an application could have been filed but not yet entered into the system.

Another plug for Martin Schwimmer's Trademark.blog Metasearch- it's free and searches in much the same way as T&T's SAEGIS (which costs $$).

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameprotect.com has a pretty good search as well, and easier to use than the uspto.gov site.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know, one of the best ways of determining whether a given term has a strong distinctive association with a particular source of goods and services is simply to use Google. If you take a term, google it, and a fair number of the results are references to a particular source of goods and services, then you have a pretty good indication.

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would forget that Schwimmer search. I have to do thousands of searches a year and I have already found glaring errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators