• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How much is "too much" to get you banned from internic whois server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
929
Reaction score
5
For those who use desktop application to bulk check domains and registration:
I know of serveral registrars that has imposed limitations on number of queries by ip or by day, or by not allowing concurrent connections from the same ip.
But what about the internic.net for .com/.net ?
Has anyone ever get their IP banned or blocked ? If so, what happened ? A temporary block ? a permanent block ? How much was the load imposed on the server to trigger the ban ?
 
there is no ban as far as i know. i've sent several million queries per day and their stuff is fairly fast and i never got banned.
 
Wow, thanks for your comment. I didn't know they didn't impose a query limit by IP.
Luc, which tool do you use ?

Now about Registrars::

Network solutions:
I was testing a Whois Client that I'm writing myself. I wrote like 7 domains including myspace.com and cars.com that happen to be in network solutions.
I have not doing more than 20 runs a day during the last 4-5 days and got banned. I have no idea why, well, frankly I have one, I think the problem more than the amount of queries, which is none, is the fact I made two consecutive calls in a very short period of time, like 1-2 seconds.
What do you think ?
 
Maybe there is a query limit, but if so it has to be really high because i've scanned tens of millions of domains without a problem. For these level scans you have to run them from a server with a decent connection. Multithreading is a must.

Yes, many registrars have various limits. Some ban after XX queries per day, others after XX queries within a few seconds. I don't recall NSI's rules BUT most registrars have pretty strict rules in place to prevent data mining.

Best Regards,
Luc L.
 
Domainsite ban after few queries. Which caused me problems as I had there thousands of domains...
 
custom server based program. im also only querying the registry and not each registrar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom