Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How to protect domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,
If I want to protect some of my pdomains, in case they are hijacked or
stolen by others in the future, how can I do now? Someone told me
that I may ask for some kind of notarization to prove the ownship of
this domain is mine in case someday it is stolen and or deleted in
mistake, is it the best way to protect a domain or is it a necessary
move to do ?
If yes, how much do I pay for such kind of notarization ? And is
there any document of notarization for me?

Thank you for any help and advice.

MarkMitford

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At Dotster there are two kinds of protection you can place on domains:

NameSafe

Designed to provide the ultimate in domain name security, NameSafe prevents account ownership updates, name server updates, contact updates, moving domains between accounts, and registrar transfers without authorization from the account owner through e-mail. Domains using NameSafe will be under locked status with the registry. Sign up for this product through the domain registration process or by logging into your Dotster account.

Price per year: $10.00

TransferLock

Prevent unauthorized transfers of your domain names to other registrars with TransferLock. With TransferLock enabled, your domain names cannot be transferred unless you log in to your account and unlock your domains. Sign up for this service by logging into your Dotster account.

Price per year: FREE

As far as getting a notarized document to prove you owned domain X on date Y I don't know of any registrars that offer it but if you ask nicely they may provide one at cost.

However, I'm not sure how much such a document will help you: It could show that you owned the domain as of that date and it could show what the expiration date was at that time but it may not help you if your domain is deleted even though you claim to have sent in payment or if your domain is transferred to another registrar apparently at your request.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Amen. If the domain name is hi-jacked by someone impersonating you, the question is not whether you had the domain name at some point in time... the question is whether you authorized the transfer/deletion/whatever of the domain name.

A notarized piece of paper is not going to answer that question.

If someone shows you a marriage certificate, with their name on it, notarized and dated last year, does that mean that person is married?

Nope.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
Amen. If the domain name is hi-jacked by someone impersonating you, the question is not whether you had the domain name at some point in time... the question is whether you authorized the transfer/deletion/whatever of the domain name.

A notarized piece of paper is not going to answer that question.

If someone shows you a marriage certificate, with their name on it, notarized and dated last year, does that mean that person is married?

Nope.

Thanks God you finally reply me after I have sent you some PM and 2 emails :D

I think I understand your point, the most I concern now is how to prove it that I am the legitimate owner if the domain is hijacked or something bad to it?
Do you have any suggestions ?

Thank you.:razz:

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Thanks God you finally reply me after I have sent you some PM and 2 emails."

Gang, is it okay if I say something sarcastic here? Or will someone be offended? I'll wait for an answer on this one...

"how to prove it that I am the legitimate owner if the domain is hijacked or something bad to it?"

There are a variety of "something bad" that can happen to a domain name. If your registrar simply screws up and acciedentally deletes the domain name, and if that domain name is registered by someone else through another registrar that is not on friendly terms with your original registrar, then your domain name is gone unless you are willing to lay down some tall cash on a lawsuit. And even then, the point would not be trying to win the suit as much as trying to convince them you are serious.

Now, one of the things you don't mention is whether or not you are using the domain name for anything, or whether you are just holding it. IF you are using the domain name and IF the name is capable of being distinctive for those goods and/or services, then you might consider trademark registration, so that if all else fails you would have the possibility of using the UDRP to get it back if it was taken.

As noted above, various registrars offer locking mechanisms that, they say, will keep your domain safe.... until the registrar goes bankrupt overnight, closes up shop, shuts off their servers, and you realize that ICANN never implemented the registrar data escrow program which they were supposed to have done.

Be familiar with the rules for inter-registrar transfer, and the requirement that the gaining registrar provide the losing registrar with proof of authorization if the losing registrar challenges the transfer.

The safest thing, of course, is to transfer lots of dnforum bucks to me.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
"Thanks God you finally reply me after I have sent you some PM and 2 emails."

Gang, is it okay if I say something sarcastic here? Or will someone be offended? I'll wait for an answer on this one...

Hey, there is not any complaint on you, I just tried to make some humor(response your amen) and it was obviously totally screwed up:dead: Sorry for my pool English.

I appreciate your great help and I have something futhur to ask, would like to use email, however, I've sent you 2 emails with no reply, I wonder should I ask you here or send you email again:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Please advise me, thank you again:razz:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Preventing your name from being stolen requires common sense and some verifiable backup evidence, not legalise.

Best thing of course is to develop the name and make it successful, so that you have many witnesses.

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree. Put anything up on the page and submit it to a few SE and the WayBackMachine. Alexa also maintains information (seems like it's never updated and written in stone.. ) but all those things could help you in the case you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom