Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How to Protect Your 3 Character Domain Names - Domain Name Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
3. File for a trademark once #2 is done.
Of course, doing this doesn’t prevent you from receiving a UDRP letter. Consider the case of Ace.com and Ace.us. The best I can tell, this domain has been used for a legitimate business for many years. The owner of the sites, WebMagic Ventures, even has a trademark for the term “Ace”.

Nice article, but just one problem. What if the owner of the domain doesent reside in US?
In that case, can he/she file for a TM in his own country for a .com or is there an alternative?

sudesh

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I assume this will be applicable for the 2 Character domains too. Well, if then and if one paid a lump some to obtain the domain, how can he/she earn it back, with the sample site, not pointing to a PPC site?? Can someone educate me on this pl??

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i think the best to protect is to

put on some mini site, with whatever acronym you can make not related to that co in question, fill up with content and move to Swiss registry, im doing just that in the mean time

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hmm moving to a swiss registry, does that help? i mean .com's still are governed by a US body isnt it?
If someone files for a UDRP, arent they still gonna come after your domain, regardless of where the registry is??

Last edited:

austinandrew

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
UDRP is "universal", but you can claim a trademark in any country I believe.

When I looked for three character cases, I saw a couple two character ones as well -- scary! Let's not forget about <a href="http://domainnamewire.com/2006/12/04/louis-vuitton-loses-case-for-lvcom/">LV.com</a>...

Last edited:

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hmm moving to a swiss registry, does that help? i mean .com's still are governed by a US body isnt it?
If someone files for a UDRP, arent they still gonna come after your domain, regardless of where the registry is??

at least the registry wont give it away without the legal action, as some US registries did

VTEC

Flying at 9.200 rpm...
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, but what if I want to trademark my domain and there is already a trademarked company using the same LLL shortcut.... ? sorry a bit confused...

austinandrew

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Multiple companies can have the same trademark or service mark for a different "class" of goods or services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com