Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

how to put proper value on domain, and then..how do u sell it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had a domain for a few years now, it's a two word product .com that has no copyright issues, it's a rather niche market, but there's millions of dollars in this market without exaggeration. however, the market demographic isn't necessarily appreciative of the value of a domain name. so example, let's say you had sewingneedles.com, trying to sell the domain to a bunch of granny knitters, they wouldn't necessarily be impressed or know or care about domains, or the perceived value of type in traffic.

how does one put a value on this kind of name? how do you go about trying to sell this kind of name? I've even approached a top broker who turned it down, can't blame him, as I could guarantee that no one in this market would be the kind to subscribe to a domain newsletter.

last month, started developing the name. spent an hour making it, haven't spent a nickle on SEO or ads. It's in the top 4 results w/ an exact search on bing, of over 9.5 million results, higher than companies that have been making this product for over 30 years..and top result on 2nd page of google. I've built it so that I can just buy from somewhere else and mark it up and re-sell it, had a few product inquiries each week since putting the site up but to be honest, I'd rather just sell the domain. what would you do?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
let the income roll, if overhead is not an issue

then use income to purchase other names or to continue deving this site.

also, any revenue from the website can be used to estimate a multiple for pricing the domain and be used to predict anticipated growth in that market.

Good Luck

imo...

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can assure you that there is a man in a business suit behind sewing needle sales.

Canadian

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can assure you that there is a man in a business suit behind sewing needle sales.

you're right...somewhere there is. I've found most of these men in these suits have been in the game for 30+ years and aren't all that internet/domain savvy...especially when you see some of their websites. Maybe I'll have to wait until their predecessors take over.

The bing result is actually above a huge, well known business directory that exclusively lists companies in this market at a charge of $16k+ per year. PLUS the other challenge is of course, approaching them via email without it stinking of mass spread spam.

Argie

InteractiveWork.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you're right...somewhere there is. I've found most of these men in these suits have been in the game for 30+ years and aren't all that internet/domain savvy...especially when you see some of their websites. Maybe I'll have to wait until their predecessors take over.

The bing result is actually above a huge, well known business directory that exclusively lists companies in this market at a charge of $16k+ per year. PLUS the other challenge is of course, approaching them via email without it stinking of mass spread spam.

Why you just don't use all this that you are saying as a sales speech with screenshots of the position where your domain is at the different search engines, you can get a sale if you try to explain all the benefits they could have by buying your domain, specially if they aren't, as you said, all that internet/domain savvy...

jm2c

Canadian

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why you just don't use all this that you are saying as a sales speech with screenshots of the position where your domain is at the different search engines, you can get a sale if you try to explain all the benefits they could have by buying your domain, specially if they aren't, as you said, all that internet/domain savvy...

jm2c

Thanks. With the exception of including screenshots, I had done that. I think emailing them out of the blue is probably a big factor too. If I got an email like that out of the blue, I doubt I'd pay any mind to it.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Find the guys who pay for advertising slots on a website that ranks below yours. Check out what that website charges precisely. Then look up these businesses who are paying. Get phone numbers. Call them and say the following: (1) You sell blah product, correct? (2) Do you advertise on blah website currently? (3) Blah website ranks # blah in search results for "blah product"; but I own a website that ranks # blah (above theirs). (4) Would you like to try out my listing service for a reduced price -- with the first month absolutely free? (5) I can even give you the option to buy my website outright if you like the results you get.

I don't think people will refuse, provided you have everything set up in advance and ready to accomodate listings.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good advice above all around, and above all - remember what Adam has famously said; don't sell to domainers. ;)

Rob

why discriminate against domainers, if they are willing to pay your price?

:rolleyes:

many are selling to other domainers, thinking they are selling to end-users or they are selling to end-users who are also domainers.

since each can be one, or the other... or both.

because one doesn't participate on the forums, doesn't exclude them from being a domainer

Canadian

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried listing it through a well known broker, and he turned it down. My guess would be from ignorance, and I didn't lay out the status of it at the time either, just simply gave the name and assumed he'd do his own DD. I would like to see what a broker might do with it. I don't really want to list it here, because i dont want the listing slurped by google.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

ps. I mean "ignorance" in the most respectable way, as in, just not knowing the niche for the name...not meant as stupidity.

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Find the guys who pay for advertising slots on a website that ranks below yours. Check out what that website charges precisely. Then look up these businesses who are paying. Get phone numbers. Call them and say the following: (1) You sell blah product, correct? (2) Do you advertise on blah website currently? (3) Blah website ranks # blah in search results for "blah product"; but I own a website that ranks # blah (above theirs). (4) Would you like to try out my listing service for a reduced price -- with the first month absolutely free? (5) I can even give you the option to buy my website outright if you like the results you get.

I don't think people will refuse, provided you have everything set up in advance and ready to accomodate listings.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> [h=1]Your advice is tremendous. I also have a good domain on that same niche; I will try to follow your useful contributions on this page. Thanks and Cheers.[/h]

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's only tremendous if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom