Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How to respond when end user says domain is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarikpierce

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with an attorney in a large USA city. She showed interest in one of my GEO+Keyword lawyer domains but got upset when I quoted the domain price.

She said it was too expensive and I was only trying to make a couple hundred bucks profit with this domain.

How do you reply when an end user says the domain is too much? I tried explaining the value but I think things just got worse.

Any tips or advice?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Simply tell the potential buyer to find it elsewhere or, as Adam puts it...come back when they think it is worth it.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you could say you have had offers in the past in that range. what sort of price are we talking ($xxx, $x,xxx, etc)?

patents

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's the domain name? Maybe I would be interested in buying it ( or at least you can say another lawyer is now considering buying it.)

Best regards,

Michael

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I often send something like this.....

Even though I might have a little wiggle room in the pricing, it appears we do not see the same value in "the name".
I can only thank-you for your interest and wish you much success going forward with your domain search.

Did they send you an offer....or just ask for a price?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I advise them to have a reading session at two prime resources:

• Domain Name Sales / FAQ
  • DNJournal / Domain Sales

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell her she is in no position to criticize your pricing.

Remember... SHE called YOU. Who is she to make the rules of how you do business?

By my experience, most people who go "oh, that's too much", in any context, are just blowing steam. They don't know what the "right" price is, and will disguise their own ignorance as being your greediness.

Ask her to make you an offer. Since, according to her, you have no idea what you're talking about, perhaps she just might have some idea.

How seriously you take that, is up to you.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with an attorney in a large USA city. She showed interest in one of my GEO+Keyword lawyer domains but got upset when I quoted the domain price.

She said it was too expensive

Sorry we couldn't do business today, perhaps at some time in the future.

Take care,
Your name

Agreed with Theo's post also, can bring bit of reality to them. jaydub also offered a nice professional response.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
She said it was too expensive and I was only trying to make a couple hundred bucks profit with this domain.
Funny, that's just what she is doing on the misfortunes of others :)

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buyers always want to buy them cheap even that they have no idea about pricing.
If they want it then they will come back to you.
Recently I sold an LLL.us $500 when they start the price at $50
Another name I sold for $25,000 when they send me a low ball offer for $1,000 saying that's all the money they have (Adam help me to price this one).
So

Stick with your price regardless of what story they may have.

tekz999

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Use the take it or leave it attitude and be a tough b*tch.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As an additional tip, create good rapport with the potential customer at first, don't come off as a dick.

However, during the negotiations and closing process, make it aware that you're not friends.

That has worked the best in sales for me, though it takes practice.

No matter what you're selling, whether it be a pen, domain or house, Lee DuBois hits it hard on all steps of the sales process. Though a bit outdated, the techniques in his shoddy videos and books do work effectively.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

How do you reply when an end user says the domain is too much? I tried explaining the value but I think things just got worse.

Any tips or advice?

offer a "lease to own agreement" or a rental agreement.

if you're only asking a couple hundred bucks for the domain, then break the BIN price down to monthly payments.

or just offer to rent the domain so they can try it out, whatever, but you'd still be receiving income....which is the end goal.

this way they don't have to spend (what appears to them) a lot of cash up front.

last option, find another buyer who is willing to pay asking price

Tell her she is in no position to criticize your pricing.

Remember... SHE called YOU. Who is she to make the rules of how you do business?

if she called him first, then he has the leverage, but OP didn't say who initiated contact.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Any tips or advice?
If your goal is to sell a domain name, then your attitude and strategy should be reflective of that goal.

This means that you should use your sales skills to turn an angry, unappreciative and perhaps uninformed end-user in to a potential happy and grateful buyer.

If the phone conversations are making the situation worse then it might be better to send her an email and try to educate her on how a good geo domain that relates directly to the legal profession and the City that she operates in can benefit her in the long run and that any extra expense that she has to incur on acquiring this domain name will be well justified by the credibility and prestige that she will gain when people hear or see her domain name. It might also be helpful to mention a few comparable domains that have sold in the same price range. IMO

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With all the advantages owning this online brand can provide, we believe our pricing to be very reasonable. There are hundreds if not thousands of attorneys for whom this would have tremendous value to generate leads and business. Anything that makes it easier and more convenient for potential clients to find and remember your firm and improve your results in online searches, even if it acts as a secondary brand to your current name, will reap tremendous rewards for your business for years to come. Combine that with the ability to keep it out of the control of your competition should make it an easy decision. Thank you for your initial interest but we owe it to ourselves to find a partner who sees those similar values.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What chipmeade wrote is a very compelling sales tactic to try and close the deal. However, if it's in writing it has no emotion to it. If it were a phone call and you could convey that same message without being monotone, while countering their objections, you would have closed the deal.

I say that you would have closed it, because you have the ability to affect their negative emotion (it costs too much) with a positive one with just the tone of your voice.

I could also say what he said aggressively and go nowhere.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can always justify your price with comparables. Go to NameBio or DNSalesPrice.com and find similar names that have sold. Chances are you will find some for that type of domain.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There's another approach: don't bother to reply. If they are itching to buy the domain, they will contact you later down the road.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to me, justifying pricing and going thru the motions of "educating" potentials, is for those soliciting buyers

when potentials contact you, they already know why they want the domain, along with the benefits of owning it.

i prefer not to refer potentials to "doman sites" to show similar pricing, because imo they don't need know the "keys to our margins".

cuz i ain't trying to turn an end-user into a reseller.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom