Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How to respond when end user says domain is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I agree with Biggie, but sometimes it's just so tempting to put those argumentative offers back to their place. They need to know that what they offered is too low, not too much. In fact, when they respond in an ungracious manner, I'd say guess what, the price just doubled.

TGIF :D

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the point to all of these responses is it (the point that the name was priced too high) and they (all the responses) are nothing more than one opinion vs. another.

there is really nothing more to do from the sellers stand point except to wait until the buyer comes to their senses and decides they want the name.

In the meantime, while they wait...another buyer comes along.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold quite a few real estate related domains, one pitch line is simple:
you sell or rent homes - just one transaction will pay for the domain.

Then you have a domain for life, your permanent business card on the Internet with a very low cost of maintenance.
It sure beats the huge amounts of money paid on adsense and offline advertising.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's another approach: don't bother to reply. If they are itching to buy the domain, they will contact you later down the road.

...raise the price :yo:

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...raise the price :yo:
That was exactly what I did.
The guy offer $500 for the name and after emailing back and forth for 2 months he still not decided to buy it or not so when he said he is ready I raise to $1,000 "take it or leave it" and there is no more stories.

alexdon82

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
few hundreds for domain an attorney in a large USA city? -
Wow, that is cheap.
In my opinion you should price domain in $800-$3000 range

She called you, she wants a domain. Everyone wants to buy cheap. Even an attorney.
Send her to read dnjournal, say that your price is nothing outstanding, tell her that domain is important in current world.
Say something like "price is good for next week only".

Just wait, don't decrease your price.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if you're only asking a couple hundred bucks for the domain, then break the BIN price down to monthly payments.

The OP said that he is only trying to make a couple hundred bucks profit with this domain not that he is selling it for couple hundred bucks. The OP could have paid a lot to acquire this domain himself, perhaps he needs to provide more details as to what price range he is asking for this domain and what was the most that the buyer was willing to pay for it.

She said it was too expensive and I was only trying to make a couple hundred bucks profit with this domain.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
would like to know what the price range is. are we talking xxx of x,xxx?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with an attorney in a large USA city. She showed interest in one of my GEO+Keyword lawyer domains but got upset when I quoted the domain price.

She said it was too expensive and I was only trying to make a couple hundred bucks profit with this domain.

How do you reply when an end user says the domain is too much? I tried explaining the value but I think things just got worse.

Any tips or advice?

dont waste your time
especially as we're talking couple hundred bucks
I don't like spending long when selling at that range on forums, which is a reseller price you're asking

if she's an attorney she's a hardnosed ***** anyway, sod her
add a year or two to reg, place at fixed price price on main sales venue, park there and forget it

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I've received many inquiries in the past from lawyers acting on behalf of their client. None made a personal statement to the tune of "omg, that's too expensive!" exactly because they weren't inquiring about themselves. ;)
In your case, you have e.g. AtlantaLawyer.tld and she wants that domain for her own firm or practice.

The selling price is somewhere between what you ask and what she has in mind. If the gap between those figures is too wide, save yourself some aggravation and end all communications with them. They need to boil in their own juice for a while, before they contact you again or go with another option.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the attorney's name Patty?

RUN!

I can only begin to guess how many times someone told me they are an attorney and they are not.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Is the attorney's name Patty?

RUN!

I can only begin to guess how many times someone told me they are an attorney and they are not.

It was 'Andrea J. DeLuca' - occasionally gender-bending to 'Andy'. Ugh!

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you really a lawyer, Michael ? I don't think I know any here other than the ones I see in the Domain Lawyers section. If I do I'm just not aware they're actually lawyers in real life. What's your specialty ? It's always good to know IP lawyers in this trade or know somebody who can refer you ...
:)

Funny, before I started reading posts I was planning to tell the TS the way lawyers are trained I have almost no doubt she ran a TM search for the domain or terms included in it. I'm not implying she's planning to get tough eventually (if she really wanted the domain), it's just how they function. Some JDs don't practice law but work at banks, corps, etc where their knowledge is needed but they don't spend all day trying to win cases. But if she's a practicing attorney (even if she's not in IP law) I wouldn't be surprised if she came back and just made some things "clear" to you even if your domain has no TM issues. And if the domain actually was for a client she may feel some drive to get it for him...

From what I know even the most junior attorneys in any state charge a lot for a single hour nowadays, especially since she's in a big US city. I'm susprised a lawyer (who probably makes lots of money) would mind spending some money on a potentially great name...if what the TS has is something like AtlantaLawyer.com as the example in Theo's post and she is an Atlanta lawyer then she has got to shell out some serious money, what does she think lol ?...is the price in the $XXX ?, the $X,XXX, or more ...?
:rolleyes:

What's the domain name? Maybe I would be interested in buying it (or at least you can say another lawyer is now considering buying it) Best regards, Michael

Last edited:

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Post deleted by Oldtimer.

Last edited:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... but got upset when I quoted the domain price.

She said it was too expensive ...
My bet is, she's not really upset, more like negotiation tactics if you ask me. Like many other said, a polite but professional AND FIRM reply should do, esp. when it comes to low hundreds, it's not worth dragging on back and forth. I usually cut it off in my second AND LAST reply. I also hate when people ask me to "justify" my asking price.

The OP said that he is only trying to make a couple hundred bucks profit with this domain not that he is selling it for couple hundred bucks. The OP could have paid a lot to acquire this domain himself ...
Given the profit margin, an educated guess would be that he or she is asking a few hundred dollars at the most.

From what I know even the most junior attorneys in any state charge a lot for a single hour nowadays, especially since she's in a big US city. I'm susprised a lawyer (who probably makes lots of money) ...
My understanding (and that's coming from my family's connection with quite a few lawyers) is, most young lawyers are struggling these days: finding a job in established law firms at least in North America is VERY difficult, and going solo would be even harder (as in HELL). Yes, top lawyers in their practice areas do make A LOT of money, but they are more like exception than norm.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I don't know any struggling attorney's, have not seen any homeless or selling there BMW's and MB's, and have not seen any carrying signs on street corners.

Domainsource

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold many domains over the years, and there is always factors you have to consider
A: How long have you owned the domain (5 or 10 years) (Question ) how many possible years will i still own this domain
B: How many other people have contacted you about this domain ( what is the average per year) (Question) how much interest does this domain have
C: Has anyone else made a comparable offer (is this offer comparable to other offers and do i really need it)
D: What value does the domain really have to your portfolio
E: is the domain expendable

FINAL ANSWER
In todays day and age some domains are just not going to gain the profitts you really want out of them unless the domain is making ppc revenue enough to keep it ( sell it for whatever you can get for it)

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol exactly, Katherine
Funny, that's just what she is doing on the misfortunes of others :)

Same here. Especially not in a large US metro area. Or anywhere, unless you're talking about a tiny town w/one single lawyer who's more like a friend. It also depends on the area of law they practice and what you hired them to do. Cheap lawyer is an oxymoron, it has been for 30 years, and that's not an overstatement
Oddly enough, I don't know any struggling attorney's, have not seen any homeless or selling there BMW's and MB's, and have not seen any carrying signs on street corners.

While it may be worse in the US I thought metro areas in Canada like TO (where you and so many on DNF live), MTL and Vanc had a similar situation, they don't have to be a well-established lawyer or hold a top job or be an equity partner in a firm (when you see PC next to their names), articles have been written about collusion in the legal space since the 80s. That's when they adopted the mentality of "if Bob charges $250/hr and Bill charges $300, why should I only charge $150 ?".... no lawyer in the US will charge 'by the job' anymore, they make much more by the hour and all "contingencies" that arise during the case, they love that term. I'm surprised things in TO (or even in all Canada) aren't rocking for all those w/a JD, they are practically everywhere else like main European cities in the top countries, PacRim large cities, etc

Adam made an interesting observation on one of his recent videoblogs (theArtoftheName.com) about the trend in Canada where paralegals are doing most of the work lawyers used to do, for a lot less. Unless a case involves court, complex lawsuits or the lawyer's expertise in a given space is needed. It's already started to happen in the US to some extent, it's not widespread. Sometimes lawyers let junior attornies do some trench work but eventually the lawyer needs to review/correct things, so he still gets to charge a lot
My understanding (and that's coming from my family's connection with quite a few lawyers) is, most young lawyers are struggling these days: finding a job in established law firms at least in North America is VERY difficult, and going solo would be even harder (as in HELL). Yes, top lawyers in their practice areas do make A LOT of money, but they are more like exception than norm.

Last edited:

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In addition to all they have said so far; I want to remind you that the best is yet to come, however if they are the best they will surely come back for the domain, since there are no two equal domains. It is not easy getting domain that worth asking for a price. Please do not be in hurry. Adam always have such asking, but he sells to the best price. Just be patient, it is not possible to have someone who will come with a good price at first, until they realized the value of the domain and could not find a suitable alternative. Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom