Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

enom HUGE eNom WARNING: Check the domains in your eNom account NOW!!!

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Enom.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I have an insane story to tell....

Today, I received an "Order Confirmation" email from eNom about 11 domains that I attempted to register. The only problem is that I attempted to register these domains 7 months ago on January 1st, 2009 and all 11 failed (were not available to register).... well today just about an hour ago I randomly received an "Order Confirmation" email from eNom that 2 of those domains were successful and they billed me $15.98 for both of them. The only problem is they were actually registered by 2 different people on the same day I attempted to register them (7 MONTHS AGO) and the whois confirms this!!! Furthermore, I havn't even logged into my eNom account for AT LEAST 1 week!

So I called eNom up and the Support guy was completely speechless at times about what could have happened.... I was put on hold for him to check it out and when he came back he told me that it appeared both domains were pushed to me today. BUT, I was also billed for new registrations.... and ALSO, there is no possible way the domains were really pushed to me by the owners because I personally know 1 of the people who's domain is now in my account and they did NOT push it to me.

YES, the domains are actually in my account now and I can modify the whois information. They were NOT registered by me but now somehow they are magically in my account. I talked to the 1 person that I know personally and he says he did not receive any sort of email but he checked his eNom account and the domains are indeed GONE from his account!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Do you have an ETP or reseller account?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you have an ETP or reseller account?

unfamiliar with that exact terminology but it is not a sub-account. signed up directly with enom which required like a $500 deposit..

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is something hard to believe. What did the guy at eNom say?

as i explained the situation he became even more and more speechless... saying things like "wow", "hmmm", "that is really odd"

originally, i just called them to report i was sent an invoice and billed for something i did not buy. i knew this since i hadnt logged into enom in at least a week... what made it even more strange is i tried to register these same domains exactly 7 months ago and was sent a "failed" email for all of them because someone beat me to them (it was during the drop time)... but when i was on the phone with them he explained to me the domains were actually in my account. i hadnt even checked because i didnt consider it a possibility since i was billed for new registrations and the whois read that they had clearly been registered for 7 months.

i personally know one of the owners affected and he did not push a domain to me. the other guy i know "of"... but im sure he didnt push it to me either.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It appears that a stuck registration cron job kicked in and now you're the happy owner of these domains :D

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
an interesting question for a mock trial of internet lawyers.

hmmmn?

what about it a big chat forum with two internet lawyers arguing their case

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wauw.. Would really like to hear an update on this..

It appears to me that the domain business is going from nearly unregulated to anarchy.

DTalk

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm really nervous about eNom these days....There's the case of stolen domains going on right now...

I've transferred my best names out of eNom lately....

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Eek... dont like the sound of this. We have too many in there to transfer out easily, a lot of hassle. Hope this gets sorted quickly.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update: eNom resolved this and it was apparently an isolated (but still very strange) incident.

eNom said:
We appreciate your patience while we researched this issue, which we have resolved. We apologize for the mixup regarding these two failed registrations last year. Our audit program found your failed orders and wrongly assumed you were the first registrant to successfully get the registrations processed with the Registry. Hence the late order which processed the domains into your account. This was an internal error, which has been corrected. Fortunately these were the only domains affected by the communication issues with the registry at that time, and the "first registrant" is indeed what has been shown at the Registry.

The domains will be removed from your account, and put back into the accounts that .MOBI has confirmed as the registrant.

Likewise, we will issue a full refund of $7.99 against both orders 193367403 and 193367403.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and giving us time to properly sort it out.

James

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's the exact reason why i do not use enom=incompentant

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's the exact reason why i do not use enom=incompentant

how ironic is it to misspell incompetent? ;)

wouldnt really call them incompetent in this situation tho.. they resolved it eventually without making excuses.. although, at first they did try saying the original owners never even registered the domains.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how ironic is it to misspell incompetent? ;)

wouldnt really call them incompetent in this situation tho.. they resolved it eventually without making excuses.. although, at first they did try saying the original owners never even registered the domains.

yeah whatever but mate i wouldn't touch them with a barge pole........moniker all day long and even godaddy in front of them........

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear they sorted it out. Some registrars have scary bugs...

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have little faith in any of them- I received 6 transfer updates last night from moniker for 3 domains I moved succesfully into my account in March, tow of the doamins are shown as 'pending' in these latest (unsolicited) reports....

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have little faith in any of them- I received 6 transfer updates last night from moniker for 3 domains I moved succesfully into my account in March, tow of the doamins are shown as 'pending' in these latest (unsolicited) reports....

Hey Gingeman

Ignore the emails...Tech was doing Q & A and the notices went out on accident. Your account and domains are unaffected.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What a story!

DNBA

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nothing new to me. enom, i think, should be voted for the worst registrar for domainers. I did a write up about how crappy their CP is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom