Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Huge offer or UDRP, take it or leave it.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
startseite.jpg
Interesting development that happened to me...

So I had an inquiry from a broker on one of my domains and was offered a substancial amount of money. No negotiation or anything, basically a cold inquiry with value right at estibot apraisal. To say it was a large offer would be an understatement, it was significant to say the least.

Problem is I have had numerous inquiries on this domain and it is part of a set of domains I own. I discussed it with some of my peers and decided I was not going to accept but instead of asking for more I just responded by saying.... Thank you for your inquiry, but not at this time.

So to my surprise I get another emails saying they consider this offer more than fair and if I don't take it there is always a possibility of a UDRP.

Now the domain in question is not a registered trademark as a single word. There are trademarks adding a second word but that is it, so I responded saying I appreciate their offer but I am not interested in selling at the moment. Afterwhich they responded again telling me they downloaded a list of my domains from my website and I had thousands of domains therefore qualifying me as a domain squater and I had one more opportunity to accept.

Well, I just have over 1000 domains and only about half of those were listed on my site but having received legal council I have decided to remove a listing of all my domains from my website. I am not scared of the UDRP threat but I have been meaning to be more private with my domains anyways.

Lots happening in the land of your Friendly Neighborhood MapleDots.

So how was your day?

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont like strong arm tactics either, but why not work with them to close a deal if they are close to your asking?

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I dont like strong arm tactics either, but why not work with them to close a deal if they are close to your asking?

My asking would be 6 million, the offer was 1/2 million

World of difference there on a one word .com

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Is this from your .com or .ca portfolio?

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
500K offers are rare, but yes a one word .com might be worth more in future if it is not already.

I would probably have tried to negotiate, but with the UDRP threat looming already I can see why you might be reluctant to do so. A few of the single panelist UDRP "boards" have used willingness to negotiate as proof of bad faith.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
On my higher value domains I never say the domain is available, I say it is in use or in progress for development.

Then when the offer comes I respond one of two ways.

1. Thank you for your inquiry, but not at this time.

2. Thank you for your offer, but the domain is worth more to us in use than that.

Both leave a foot in the door and allow the person offering to come back but it can not be misconstrued as actively seeking a sale.

Now you know why I will no longer be publishing my domains.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So to my surprise I get another emails saying they consider this offer more than fair and if I don't take it there is always a possibility of a UDRP.

I would save any correspondence from them, which contains such language
as it could be evidence of reverse hijacking attempt

also, I wouldn't have changed my website listings
as it shows an intimidation tactic had some effect and.....
the removal of the names can deplete your stance, as a legitimate domain seller, when the volume is reduced

Good Luck!

imo….

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kill two birds with one stone by leaving the door open even though it looks shut by mentioning the specific offer.

"Thank you for your $200,000 off. We are not interested."

You leave open the question of whether you are not interested in the sale or the offer. Cheers and good luck. My BS detector is tingling just a little though, but I hope it is true and works out.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have changed my website listings
as it shows an intimidation tactic had some effect and.....
the removal of the names can deplete your stance, as a legitimate domain seller, when the volume is reduced

Good Luck!

imo….

I've been meaning to be more privacy oriented and had planned a website reboot before this happened.
I removed all my domains from my homepage not just the one in question, this was something I had been contemplating anyways.

Last edited:

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
My BS detector is tingling just a little though, but I hope it is true and works out.

All information will go public if they decide to initiate a UDRP

One word .com UDRP's always attract attention.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The risk always depends on the specifics and individual circumstances. Best to reach out to a lawyer, to assess that risk, as they have solicitor-client privilege. In other words, how do you know the folks threatening you aren't reading this forum?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators