Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I am certainly starting to get the feeling...read on

Enerika

I'M ALL EARS... "FINALLY (thanks)!"
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
that there are certain cliques in the domain world that the experienced domainers grew into this biz watching them form and are wise to. With my inclination to say what's on my mind, and act on the direction /advice that sound and is excellent and fruitful if followed with the knowledge of at the right times and places to ask and then, carry it out. I trust alot of people and most do offer advice and counsel with the best of intentions ...but SOMETIMES!!!!! So, eager to get things done in the most effective way, and in order to lessen the amount of muddling through, without making all "those" mistakes (like a sheep to slaughter, maybe), I could get into trouble and alot smarter, but those "shortcuts" would end up taking tons more time and,
well, never mind the embarrassment...
SO...any shortcuts?? How do I travel this road mindfully ...because I trust THE PEOPLE HERE at DNForum. I REALLY DO.

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
There aren't any cliques that I'm aware of - sure there are loud, sometimes obnoxious, people or registrars creating their own value by preying on the gullibility of others but in my experience empty vessels make the most noise. There is no difference in my mind between someone selling you a non-existent timeshare or the latest cryptocurrency and someone telling you 'this extension will be worth loads of money so make sure you buy from me...'
Making money in this business has a very simple premise. If buying to resell make sure you have a domain that at least one other person wants. If buying for development make sure you have a route to monetisation for a developed site.
So many people buy domains that either a) nobody wants or b) could never be developed. They continue to do this until one day.. they don't. They either go broke and/or get tired of the industry (usually with the attitude that it's all wrong and nobody can be successful) or they finally understand at least what *not* to buy. That's all there is to it. However as there are no hard and fast rules about what will fulfill this necessity you try and glean as much information as possible by reading through forums, learning from other people's mistakes (and successes), and getting a *general feel* for the market and what it wants. The very first thing to do is to determine what *won't* sell. This is half the battle. Of course this likely means you won't be picking up domains for a few dollars in awful extensions but spending $10 on a domain you have a tiny chance of selling (but probably won't) and $100 on a domain you know has a good chance of selling makes it obvious. You haven't 'saved' any money - you've just wasted $10 and all the time you'll spend trying to sell the 'cheap' one before you let it drop.

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As with anything, I think it is important to do your due diligence when it comes to how and whose advice you take.
I’m not saying to be afraid to take it, just consider the source and context.
The domain world is evolving, no doubt, but the parameters of doing business and investing remain.
Might you get lucky once in a while? Sure.
But I always loved the adage.... The harder I work, the luckier l get;)
Ask questions, but again, do your research.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As with anything, I think it is important to do your due diligence when it comes to how and whose advice you take.
I’m not saying to be afraid to take it, just consider the source and context.
The domain world is evolving, no doubt, but the parameters of doing business and investing remain.
Might you get lucky once in a while? Sure.
But I always loved the adage.... The harder I work, the luckier l get;)
Ask questions, but again, do your research.
thanks...I am not "an unarmed opponent", so I can do this!
(though, maybe the unarmed in me was fishing for some names of "the enemies"!!)

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There aren't any cliques that I'm aware of - sure there are loud, sometimes obnoxious, people or registrars creating their own value by preying on the gullibility of others but in my experience empty vessels make the most noise. There is no difference in my mind between someone selling you a non-existent timeshare or the latest cryptocurrency and someone telling you 'this extension will be worth loads of money so make sure you buy from me...'
Making money in this business has a very simple premise. If buying to resell make sure you have a domain that at least one other person wants. If buying for development make sure you have a route to monetisation for a developed site.
So many people buy domains that either a) nobody wants or b) could never be developed. They continue to do this until one day.. they don't. They either go broke and/or get tired of the industry (usually with the attitude that it's all wrong and nobody can be successful) or they finally understand at least what *not* to buy. That's all there is to it. However as there are no hard and fast rules about what will fulfill this necessity you try and glean as much information as possible by reading through forums, learning from other people's mistakes (and successes), and getting a *general feel* for the market and what it wants. The very first thing to do is to determine what *won't* sell. This is half the battle. Of course this likely means you won't be picking up domains for a few dollars in awful extensions but spending $10 on a domain you have a tiny chance of selling (but probably won't) and $100 on a domain you know has a good chance of selling makes it obvious. You haven't 'saved' any money - you've just wasted $10 and all the time you'll spend trying to sell the 'cheap' one before you let it drop.
Thanks Rob!
I understand what you are saying and have stopped buying names until I learn more about buying the aged, good ones with clicks (not the right language, I know). I am speaking more along the lines of where to sell the names I do have. Which venues. I have been told to list them on all the sites and am starting to do this..(about to sign with "perfectdomains"!) , anyway, are there those that are in conflicting relations with each other that could affect my sales...should I curb my approach. Now about to go with Sedo, Afternic, EBay and...PERFECTDOMAINS. Any thoughts?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am speaking more along the lines of where to sell the names I do have. Which venues. I have been told to list them on all the sites and am starting to do this.

you can list them on various platforms, but basically you can only point them to one site at a time.
so, logically, one would want to point their names to a place that has a lot of "incoming." traffic, in hopes of benefiting from any residual searches done there

still, no matter where you list them, if they don't get any visitors on their own and don't have much appeal and are overpriced, then most likely they will never sell.

personally, I list my domains on ppc parking platforms like sedo, bodis, voodoo, uniregistry, etc.
this way, I can see visitor stats and possibly earn a few $, while they are parked

anyway, are there those that are in conflicting relations with each other that could affect my sales...should I curb my approach

you will have to ascertain on your own, which if any, are in conflict with your methods.
so best to read their respective TOS

imo...

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you can list them on various platforms, but basically you can only point them to one site at a time.
so, logically, one would want to point their names to a place that has a lot of "incoming." traffic, in hopes of benefiting from any residual searches done there

still, no matter where you list them, if they don't get any visitors on their own and don't have much appeal and are overpriced, then most likely they will never sell.

personally, I list my domains on ppc parking platforms like sedo, bodis, voodoo, uniregistry, etc.
this way, I can see visitor stats and possibly earn a few $, while they are parked

you will have to ascertain on your own, which if any, are in conflict with your methods.
so best to read their respective TOS

imo...
Thanks Biggie!
You are telling me to "walk my own walk" and that is the only way to really ingest anything because we are more likely to remember what NOT to do by those cuts and bruises and insults and embarrassments and loss of money and time than just having a blueprint handed, without taking each step. I know that the most valuable lesson that I KEEP ON GETTING ( .." over and over and...!) from successful, experienced domainers is to put the time and effort into this thing. Anyways, it is the truth and I know you aren't just being mean and laughing at me (well, maybe laughing, a little, but you are excused, you worked hard for this little"reward"!!) by insisting on this solid advice...there are no shortcuts to experience and nothing can replace any bit of it. YOu REAL-ize, or make something real to yourself when you finally get that sense of accomplishment you get when you get back up ..and maybe don't even fall the next time Things eventually get a bit easier (to be replaced by other" learning opportunities"} when you know you can trust yourself to figure most stuff out {and have made connections!) for yourself. We remember the hard lessons and feel proud inside.
...KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT KARIN!!! (...and shut-up already!)

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh..what about the brand sites? I'll have to put this skipping around on sites to sell on a schedule and/to keep everything straight. This is hard work! I'm up for it.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rob...you are right on about the reading to learn from others...It helps alot, I'm sure, to avoid some future mistakes.

Enerika

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks again...I am just now taking a look at the neat parking system you have started and will have to take advantage as soon as I can find a moment. You guys are brilliant!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators