Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I am done with Moniker

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am done with Moniker
1*B3GcSOXO62Bp-NZdOpQ7nQ.jpeg

The image above is no exaggeration. That is exactly my experience whenever I have to interact with Moniker in any way. Yes, have to — I only do it now when I am forced. Why would I voluntarily submit myself to an experience I know is going to induce pain?

I initially tried Moniker because of the great reputation they had in the domaining community. Within a few months, I had an urgent issue with a domain and did not get an immediate response from support. With a very short amount of Googling I was able to locate an email address for the founder, Monte Cahn. I sent him an email asking for help. He responded moments later from his Blackberry and attached several others at Moniker. Those people then solved my problem just minutes later.

That’s the type of thing that earns you a customer for life. And I thought that is what Moniker had done. I moved most of my domains to them and there they sat for years.

Then, Moniker was sold. And the new owners have run it into the ground.

Today, I again needed to locate the email addresses of some higher ups at Moniker. So I could share this post with them. All I could find were marketing, sales and support email addresses (they hide the support email address as well as they can — I found it Moniker, try harder). I was not able to locate an email address for one actual human being.

That aside, their new website is beyond awful. By far the most complicated to use and frustrating interface in the domaining industry. It’s also hideously ugly. The old site wasn’t great either, it needed a refresh. But they went from a C+ grade to an F grade instantly.

As a developer and entrepreneur I understand how resistant users are to change and how new products have to be iterated over time. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt, I stuck with them. I haven’t noticed a single update from the very first one they released over a year ago. The (many) problems it had then are all still there today.

I can’t even login to the site without jumping through a ridiculous set of hoops each time. I need to have an authentication code sent to me and half the time that doesn’t work and I have to reset my password, then get a new authentication code. Just to login!

I could go on. It’s just beating a dead horse. Moniker is toast. I’m done with them. I moved all of my domains away. The last one can’t be transfered. It’s worth keeping but is not worth dealing with Moniker to keep. I received an email to renew it by the end of July. I changed the settings to ‘delete after grace period.’ Once it expires, it will drop. You can have it Moniker. Just as long as I never have to interact with your company again.

Please delete my account: Customer-ID. 94604610

In typical Moniker fashion, when I send them this request, I can already predict what the response will be. It’s either not possible or I’ll have to jump through some set of hoops to do it. They won’t just do it. Not a chance.

Update: Moniker COO John McLaughlin emailed me (from getsupport@moniker.com, the main Moniker support account) and said my account will be automatically closed when my last domain expires ‘per the instructions in your blog post.’ I’m glad that he evidently read this and also that they closed my account without putting me through yet more pain. Too little too late to save me but that is at least something positive from the company, the first I’ve seen in a very long time.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I second you.
I have been using Moniker for almost 10 years and I was very satisfied until Bari Meyerson left this company.
As you said, when Moniker was sold, it became one of the worst registrars in the world.
After several upgrades on their system, I finally can't bear it anymore.
I moved all 257 domains away from Moniker two months ago.

Bye, moniker. Good luck!

kollam003

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have moved out my names quite long before.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I finally moved my domains out.

I have no idea how they put together that new user interface. It was fine the way it was and it's 100x worse. It take me over half an hour to figure out how to renew my domains.

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I updated my post quoting your posts, I hope that's ok.

I don't know if this will rank in Google but I do know higher ups at Moniker are aware of it, if nothing else at least they will see your feedback.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators