Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

I expect to receive C&D and possible UDRP - advice needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've surfed at WIPO site and found out that I may have problems with one of my names soon... Regged it in January.
Will not disclose the name due to security reasons, but the idea is:

1. It consists of two generic words - ancient name plus key industry term (like "apollon hosting" or "hotel cleopatra")
2. I was not aware of this, but US-based company trademarked
this ancient personal name exactly in this class of goods/services and use this name dot com alone for thier website
3. They won a few UDRP cases against registrars with similar names. I've found a few dozens of similar names at whois database, so they run UDRPs as routine.

This name currently shows "for sale" page with fixed price (much cheaper than UDRP process costs).
Due to nature of this name, they may actually want to have this one for real use (not just to shutdown similar addresses).

So, what is better to do now? I have no intention to develop actual website as I have nothing to do with this industry. Also, now I understand that such a website may (honestly) confuse those who are aware of that company existense.
I'll be happy to sell this name, even cheap, but I guess lawyers for the company may not be interested in purchasing it cheap,
no job for them... they may earn much more starting UDRP for their client and they will win...

I heard nothing from them yet, but I feel this will happen... They have 4 or 5 UDRP wins already so they must be tracking similar domains.

Any advice?

Domain Summit 2024

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Try contacting your registrar and cancel the name and exchange it for one with less trademark problems.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Start using it in a non-infringing way BEFORE they contact you.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or, why not just hand it over to them? If you give them a sob story full of all your dreams for this domain before you learned they owned the rights, they might just reward your initiative.

Even if they don't, you'll be rid of it and can sleep easier.

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree it is better to email them...
Yes I may want to sell the name, but I just realised this may bring
problems to my customer. It is not in my interest to bring problems to my customers, so the only source of money for the name is that big company. I will be happy if they comp registration price and maybe little more...

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
My advice, Read Up.

Here is a positive wording database that may help you out.
It used to be up at DomainShame.com.
http://www.domainstate.com/custom.php3?action=positive

This may well help to calm you nerves, but then again, realize that folks like the easyGroup from coming after you just because they think they have rights to everything with "easy" in front of it. "Olympics" is certainly a trademark, so don't even go there, but stuff like "Register" shouldn't have problems.

Wish you the best, man.

W|Z

Ari Goldberger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From what you say, it sounds like you do not have a strong case. It's hard to give advice without knowing exactly what the domain name is, but I recognize why you don't want to identify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom