Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I found a gem but I need your help

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I found a domain for an exact search term that gets between 1M-10M searches a month (according to Google Keyword planner). But when I parked it at Sedo, I've only received 8 unique hits in the last 30 days.

How is this possible?

I thought my site would be flooding with direction navigation traffic.

Can you please explain this discrepancy?

Thanks

Reaction score
If only it was that easy :)
Just because google has people typing that term into a search engine or via partners (and their figures are a bit inflated) doesn't mean people are going to their browser bar and typing in the exact term (with no spaces) followed by .com
Even worse if it's not a .com as there's little to no chance of a direct typein. Without typeins, parked pages don't get listed in search engines, there will be negligible traffic.
So basically exact search terms are not about typein traffic. They do however give you an idea on whether a site is worth developing and which terms to use in the development for link building and search engine popularity.

Last edited:

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If only it was that easy :)
Just because google has people typing that term into a search engine or via partners (and their figures are a bit inflated) doesn't mean people are going to their browser bar and typing in the exact term (with no spaces) followed by .com
Even worse if it's not a .com as there's little to no chance of a direct typein. Without typeins, parked pages don't get listed in search engines, there will be negligible traffic.
So basically exact search terms are not about typein traffic. They do however give you an idea on whether a site is worth developing and which terms to use in the development for link building and search engine popularit

Hi everyone, I found a domain for an exact search term that gets between 1M-10M searches a month (according to Google Keyword planner). But when I parked it at Sedo, I've only received 8 unique hits in the last 30 days.

How is this possible?

I thought my site would be flooding with direction navigation traffic.

Can you please explain this discrepancy?

Thanks
Thanks for the reply Rob.

Is it possible to sell this domain (that gets 1M-10M searches/month) to another domainer? Do domainers look at monthly search volume in isolation? Will they get turned off if the domain is listed on sedo but only receives a few visits a month in type-in traffic?

Reaction score
Domainers tend to like exact match domains for SEO purposes. I doubt many expect there to be type in traffic. These kinds of domains are usually bought and developed because of the keywords or the niche. They don't look at that in isolation but it is often one of the factors. So I wouldn't worry about domainer to domainer sales being affected. However you can't of course monetise them through parking and cpc with no traffic.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to sell this domain (that gets 1M-10M searches/month) to another domainer? Do domainers look at monthly search volume in isolation? Will they get turned off if the domain is listed on sedo but only receives a few visits a month in type-in traffic?
Hi

@RobM made some good points,

and unless the name is revealed, then no one will be interested...
simply because they can't verify any claims (search volume/traffic) that you make about it.

calling it a "gem", before it produces any "gem-like" results, is premature.

imo...

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

@RobM made some good points,

and unless the name is revealed, then no one will be interested...
simply because they can't verify any claims (search volume/traffic) that you make about it.

calling it a "gem", before it produces any "gem-like" results, is premature.

imo...
The domain is justinbeba.com. It's a nickname for pop star Justin Bieber. It's not trademarked (yet).

Reaction score
It's worthless. Celebrity domains are only potential liabilities and can never be profited from without a real risk of a court case at worst or domain loss at best. These type of domains should be avoided. I know it's not actually his name but if the only way to monetise it is to trade off his name then any profit will possibly end up with a legal case. Of course it's ok for anyone who is NOT Justin Bieber and will not ever even mention him on the site but then who would want the domain?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi
you misread the stats, as you can see "justinbeba.com" has no search volume

justin beba
1M – 10M-90%-90%Low—$0.11$0.25
justinbeba
0 – 100%0%————
justinbeba com
————

in comparison to these names i own:
call mobile
1K – 10K +900% 0% Low—$1.19 $3.70
callmobile
10 – 100- 0% 0% Low———
callmobile com
10 – 100-100% 0%————
englewood
10K – 100K 0% 0% Low—$0.55 $4.75
englewood org
10 – 100- 0% 0% Low———
umm
100K – 1M- 0% 0% Medium—$0.04 $0.31
umm org
10 – 100- 0% 0% Low———

as you can see above, the domain with extension included, gets monthly search volume.
and all of them get some traffic and earn some ppc revenue.

imo....

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener