• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed I got my first offer on LowWave.com. Following your lead Blue Wren

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotFame

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2011
Messages
36
Reaction score
4
I really need your feedback on this one pros. I got an offer through my registrars (GoDaddy) domain buying service for $150 on LowWave.com. I countered $1,500.00. They countered $400.

Obviously, they are still willing to deal with me, so I gather my counter offer is not obnoxious. However, I am suffering from the dreaded newbie fear of, how much money will I be leaving on the table for what looks like a decent generic.

Please note, this is a bid for a domain I did not have listed. So, it was a WhoIs lookup.

Eagerly awaiting your help,
Tim
 
The real question is "how much would you be happy to sell it for" (don't confuse with "how much money do you think their max is?").

They went up $250 - a but if a small jump from the $1350 jump you did. I'd say look at what you'd be happy with and then add the difference from their bid to it - maybe a little more. For example, if you want to sell it for $700 then counter with $1100 ($700 (your happy price) - $400 (their counter) = $300 : $700 + $300 = $1000 (and an extra $100 to leave you a little more room).
 
I am focused on how much the domain is worth if I make it public. While, a sale is better than a wish, I get stuck on how much the darn thing may go for on the open market. In short, what do you all think it may go for. Am I making a rookie mistake?

Thanks,
Tim
 
It looks like the term 'Low Wave' is used for beds and sofas, so it could have use to a company in this market. Or, it's a decent brandable for a start-up.

How much did the domain cost you?

You are only $1100 apart, if you really want $1500 then stick to that. If you are willing to meet in the middle, then counter with $1250 and hopefully they'll keep coming up til you meet somewhere around $900, if you're happy with that.

With offer/counter offer, you are in a good position if you know what price you want and are willing to walk away if you don't get it. If it sells for higher down the road you have to be able to not take it so hard, because that's a possibility in any transaction. You could also end up holding a domain for 10 years and never get an offer too.

Also doesn't hurt to wait 24 hrs to respond, so you don't appear too hasty to want a deal.

Good luck!
 
If you're not desperate then wait for a couple of days. If they really want it then they'll keep offering higher price.
 
It might not hurt to google their email address or any other information you can see on their offer as well before you reply. Might be a waste of time, but you never know.
 
Thanks a lot for the great feedback. Actually, I did counter exactly the $1250 you suggested. I am in no rush. I might send out some emails to the folks who sell beds and sofas while I wait awhile. Thanks for pointing out that there may be solid interest in that area.

:)
 
would have been great to look them up. However, when you get a bid through GoDaddy's domain buying service, that information is blind to us.

Thanks for the effort:)
 
dotFame?.... Keep your price firm.

Unless you want to be a Walmart domainer, stick to your guns.

You already know it is worth $400 to somebody,... but you have advertised what it is worth to you.

Even used car salesmen know how to work their margins.
 
If you're not desperate then wait for a couple of days. If they really want it then they'll keep offering higher price.

Or weeks. Some people wait in return.
 
dotFame?.... Keep your price firm.

Unless you want to be a Walmart domainer, stick to your guns.

You already know it is worth $400 to somebody,... but you have advertised what it is worth to you.

Even used car salesmen know how to work their margins.

I like a person who knows how to make a metaphor sing. Nice quote on the car salesmen.

thanks,
Tim
 
I like a person who knows how to make a metaphor sing. Nice quote on the car salesmen.

Yes, thanks. But if your next counter is $500 or such, consider it a domainer looking to lowball a buy.

Your price point isnt too hard for an end user to accept.

A real end user wanting to use it would just buy it for $1250 and call it done.
 
Oh, and if the bidder disappears?.. dont worry about it.

You know it is worth $400 to a domainer. And they dont buy at $400 if they dont think they can get $1500 down the road somewhere.
 
Ok, my wife yelled at me for this thread.

The nuts and bolts.

If you want to sell it regardless if to a domainer, accept $500 bucks and just let the damn thing go.

But if you are soliciting end users and want to sell it to an end user,
Stay firm at $1250 or more as you have indicated.

$1250 is not much nowadays to a real end user anyways.

Nuff said.
 
I had a construction company in Florida that does million dollar projects not want to spend $500 on a LLLL.com that was the exact acronym for their business name. They were currently using their full (20 character) business name for their website and emails. I can only imagine what a pain it is to have to type in an email with a 20 character .com. Then they came back months later saying they were about ready to buy for $500, and I told them the price was now $1000. Haven't heard from them since, but goes to show a perfect end user with resources can still be cheap with domains.

Also wanted to add, I've never had any action from Godaddy in the premium listings or their domain buy service, but looking forward to my first one.

Keep us up to date on how it goes!
 
Obviously, they are still willing to deal with me, so I gather my counter offer is not obnoxious. However, I am suffering from the dreaded newbie fear of, how much money will I be leaving on the table for what looks like a decent generic.

My hunch is that when someone's using Godaddy's Domain Buying Service, they are serious buyers so I would have kicked it off low to mid $xxxx at least. These type of domains can be found in DNJ weekly reports.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a 'pro' and i've never had an inquiry via Godaddy DBS)
 
I really need your feedback on this one pros. I got an offer through my registrars (GoDaddy) domain buying service for $150 on LowWave.com. I countered $1,500.00. They countered $400.
Well you set the threshold :) At this point you can only stick to your guns or decrease the price a little bit.
Looks like you will both settle for something in between then.

We have all left money on the table at some point but the important is to sell at a price that makes you happy.
Good luck.

PS: check the Godaddy fees.
 
My hunch is that when someone's using Godaddy's Domain Buying Service, they are serious buyers so I would have kicked it off low to mid $xxxx at least. These type of domains can be found in DNJ weekly reports.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a 'pro' and i've never had an inquiry via Godaddy DBS)
I get several of these godaddy domainbuy offers every week and they always,always start super low and almost never result in a sale as i always counter mid x,xxx at least. its usually quite rare to even get 1-2k out of them. they are largely a waste of time done by totally inexperienced end users who think godaddy should be able to acquire the domain for them at the base price of the service. out of hundreds of offers, only once was i actually able to get mid x,xxx.

godaddy charges the buyer 30% (!!) for this service, so its no wonder so many do not result in a sale. however the seller has no fees. you sell for $1255, you get $1255.
 
Hi gang,

Sold LowWave.com for $900.00. Wanted to make my first clean kill, more than screw around with only one buyer. Thanks for the help!!!
Tim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom