Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I Need Some Trademark Advice!

Asaf

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired - OlympicTennis(.)com
I managed to get it after it dropped...

After a while I was warned that - "Olympic is a vigorously protected trademark. I'd stay away from it!"

I know that "Olympic" by itself is a well known trademark for a variety of business niches out there,
But, after reading these 2 articles -
Article 1
Article 2

I'm a bit unsure....

I would love some professional thoughts and guidance about my domain - is it really 100% trademarked?

Asaf

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Johnn - It's not about taking a chance, it's about knowledge and learning how to make a calculated choice!
Good business means - Taking Risks! (calculated once of course)

Can OlympicTennis(.)com potentially be developed as a Tennis Learning Center, aggregating all tennis related sub categories, for inspiring future athletes?
or it's a definite trademark and should be avoided at all cost?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The IOC is VERY protective of the Olympic TM - and that's an understatement. It is extremely difficult to get around TM especially with tennis being a new sport (it wasn't around in the ancient Roman times).

Proceed at your own risk but IMO not worth the WIPO.

Asaf

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like the DELETE button it is then! :(
I guess it was dropped for a reason dhhh....
Oh well, you win some... you lo...... I won't say it ;)

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the feedback.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The Red Cross and the International Olympic Committee are known for protecting their tm's and sm's quite aggressively. Guess who owns SexOlympics .com ;)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Seriously. The domain is 'parked' but it's owned by the IOC.

Asaf

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, So OlympicTennis(.)com is now officially DELETED!!!
Thanks again guys, you're awesome! :cool:

Asaf

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seriously. The domain is 'parked' but it's owned by the IOC.
Really? Where do you see it?
Because all I can see on the Whois, is Proxy privacy :

"Registrant Name: Direct Privacy
Registrant Organization: Domain Name Proxy Service, Inc Privacy ID# 93943
Registrant Street: P.O. Box 6592
Registrant City: Metairie
Registrant State/Province: LA
Registrant Postal Code: 70009
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.5043550082
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]"

That's very interesting....

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
once read facebook has an ip attorney working full time and all they do is search databases for facebook tm infringement/conflicts. did not know about red cross and would not have expected them to be quite so aggressive. non-profits are usually not as aggressive as corporations.

on the other hand look at all domains being sold naming apple products or using product names in longer domains. them i would expect to go after the domainer with all their guns but i keep seeing those domains are still around. they got too much cash to sweat the small stuff:D

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of those domains are developed into fan sites or community sites, so the TM holders may be ok with it even though they do not endorse them ;)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
once read facebook has an ip attorney working full time and all they do is search databases for facebook tm infringement/conflicts. did not know about red cross and would not have expected them to be quite so aggressive. non-profits are usually not as aggressive as corporations.

I'm not. Just watch the disclaimer at the beginning of the James Bond film "The Living Daylights". In the movie the "bad guys" had sacks of opium marked with the Red Cross on them, just because of that they had to have the disclaimer at the beginning.

https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/article/other/57jmb9.htm

I think the Red Cross symbol got abused in the past and was also used to get away with things people shouldn't so they've become very protective.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i agree the red cross should protect its trademark but in some third world countries i am sure "red cross" is used meaning ambulance, first aid and even hospital. so in many cases some violations are not intentional but are rather a product of ignorance.
red cross has become almost generic the world over and both words making up the domain are dictionary terms.

in fact olympics and olympic games have almost the same situation the red cross does, as there are many types of olympics and games held in some countries every year. some we've never heard of.
but 2016 Olympics should be a violation and so would be Rio Olympics, 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics and other combos of games that have taken place or will in the future.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom