• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

ICANN fee for renewal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
2,098
Reaction score
12
Hi,

I renewed a .biz today at godaddy and they charged me $4.95 plus $0.25 which was mentioned as ICANN fee. Never noticed such a fee before. Any one else saw/paid such a fee ?

Thanks,
URLtrader
 
On November 1st ICANN raised their fee from 5 cents to 25 cents for all registrars (on certain domains) to pay for their insane new budget.

While registrars absorbed the 5 cents, GoDaddy has decided to pass long the cost of 25 cents and therefore make 5 cents more per domain. Sounds small but probably will add up over the next hundred thousand domains they sell ($5,000?).

Note that most other registrars have not seperated the ICANN fee and passed it to consumers yet but they might be a trend started I fear.
 
Thanks for this information.
 
I think it's not happen in enom,right?
 
I've been paying this .25 fee now for the past 2 months at WWD/GD resellers, or at least the one I use.

Mike
 
guiwang said:
I think it's not happen in enom,right?

Not yet, but who knows, they could be coding it in right now.
Five cents is one thing, but I can't say I blame them for 25 cents to cause a price increase somehow.

It will be hard to remember to be angry at ICANN not the registrar.
Very sneaky what they did. The other option was huge registrar fees which would have crushed out the smaller competition.
I am not sure which situation is better, the consumer loses in the end.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom