Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

ICANN probing "insider trading" allegations with domain name ... - Ars Technica

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Imagine, ICANN't conducting an investigation on itself.

While the organization currently has no solid evidence on the matter as of yet, it feels that an investigation is warranted in order to nip in the bud any perceptions that the domain name industry is involved in unethical activity.

ICANN recognizes the lack of regulation covering this area and makes it clear that a stronger set of standards needs to be established.

The SSAC report comes just a day after news leaked that Verisign, a major root name server operator, was considering selling access to select DNS server lookup data. DomainNameNews first broke the story, saying that sources had indicated the company would provide "lookup traffic" reports on specific domains. The sources also said that pricing for the service was not known, but that it could cost up to $1 million per request.

In the meantime, who let the fox (Verisign) into the henhouse (ICANN)?

Nice to know that our fees are more or less supporting and financing ICANN's move to Switzerland to avoid prosecution in the US.

It is far beyond time to give that entire inept organization a massive enema to clean them out!

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised...thats why they upped their fees...good to know..

T

tekz999

So its might be now give further insights about how we used a whois program to check a domain availability and the name got registered after few hours by an unknown reason. Spying? I don't know.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I have an easy solution: never again query domains - just buy mine :D

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ICANN doing an investigation and helping the consumer??

Get outta town! ;-)

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, that's where ICANN's cut of the verisign price increase is going, at least it is helping the consumer - or trying to make it look that way :)

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's ICANN gonna do that they need that many millions? Are they giving each staff member a $500,000 dollars/year?

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even though we've all had our suspicions that this has been going on for sometime...I don't know that this 'announcement' about cleaning this up is going to be a positive thing for domainers in the near future. There are so many factors still up in the air with this business in general that w/so many possible end-users on the fence - this just really hurts the legitimacy of it all.

It's like all these 'insiders' think they are laughing all the way to the bank, when really they are just sinking the ship. So any 'insiders' out there reading this - thanks. Thanks a lot. I hope you have a fun time trying to explain all this on your pathetic job interviews when/if this all blows up in our faces!:upset:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom