• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

ICANN to Ban Use of "WWW"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Zan

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
10
lol. this is insane :cheeky:

was this formally announced anywhere by icann?
 
Zoobar said:
Its bogus.
That's what I'm thinking. I mean how would this make any sense to actually enforce and why? The reason stated in the blog is ridiculous. But being that it is late, I am gullible and need someone to really shed some light on the issue. :emba:
 
Looks like complete BS, the www. prefix has been around for ages, and it is optional for all domains, and hosts. My sites all resolve both with and without the www. prefix. If someone wanted to save super bowl ad time then just don't say it. And if your a slow typer then don't type it, but for normal people that want to type www. before the domain then keep on doing it.

This will be turned down, theres no way ICANN will do this.
 
That's just phase I ... in phase II, ICANN will require all domain extensions to be dropped due to all the confusing suffixes, such as .CAT, .PRO, .COOP, etc, so folks can save even more time - anyways, if it's not .COM it doesn't exist :cheeky:

Ron

p.s. even ICANN has a .COM domain - icann.com (formerly www.icann.com) in preparation for phase II when it will become just ICANN
 
Zoobar said:
Its bogus.


Yes of course it is. No sensible references and it actually makes no sense! There has not been any kind of publicity campaign even to suggest to the masses that the http://www. is redundant, which it now is.

At this stage, it would be impossible for anyone to judge the impact of sites posting their domain with the www. Furthemore, as yet email will only identify and highlight links with the www., so that would need to be sorted first!

On the subject of www. typos, well their value is going to diminish quickly as the www. usage gradually becomes part of history.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
 
I think its BS or icann are playing a late april fools, Fine us? lmao

I very much doubt even if icann do enforce this, people will stop using www, I certainly won't.
 
btw its a satire website...........

their tag is

Satire for Smart People; The Truth for You !! :cheeky:
 
lol :-D

BBspot is a satirical news and comedy source and meant to be funny. If you are easily offended, gullible or don't have a sense of humor we suggest you go elsewhere.
 
He he he, good catch, unclewilco.

I read a "serious discussion" about it in another forum. So I thought I'd post
this to see how some of you will react. :-D
 
Maybe someone needs to move this to the humor section ;)
 
Naw, that could never be. Why would they even do that. Bogus...in my mind atleast. Especially since ICANN has not mentioned a thing about this!
 
Wow I was getting mad until I realized this was fake.. lol

*Hugs his www prefix*
 
Haha. Funnier than the article itself is reading everyone taking it seriously. I'm still chuckling over here...

BTW, [www.]ookie.es is unregged. Any takers?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom