Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed idle (dot) com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I acquired this one a while ago and I've just started developing it. I'm thinking of making it into a video games/gadgets/gizmos news site/blog, simply because I love video games myself, especially retro stuff like Commodore 64, Amiga, Nintendo, arcade/MAME etc. and it's one of the few things I'd actually want to write articles about.

I think it's a nice brandable generic for a video game blog, but I'd be happy to get more development ideas and also general appraisals.

All comments are appreciated. Thanks!

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It is not worth anywhere near 10K, but it is worth something. I am thinking it probably gets traffic from Idol, when people are seaching for American Idol. If that is the case, then it will depend on how much traffic it gets. I don't really think of one powerful thing when I see this name, but maybe that is good, maybe that makes for a few more directions you can go. It is a nice short name, but one of the problems is that likely 90 percent of the people who hear the word pronounced will first think Idol, so turning it into a huge site in that sense would be a bit tough.

But you definitely could develop a niche site in a few different areas, but I still feel that it only is worth a lot if the traffic is high and targeted in areas that you can monetize.

Without knowing more I can only give it low-mid XXX.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Idle" is a very popular and well known word. It basically means lazy or showing a lack of effort and is used in the saying "Idle Hands".

There are plenty of uses for a domain like this as well as plenty of end users. I tend to agree that low $XX,XXX+ is realistic.

Brad

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know the meaning as to being lazy, stagnant, sitting around, etc., but even then that makes it a weak word that I have a hard time seeing being part of an exciting and profitable site. It you guys would pay him anywhere close to 10K for this name then I will admit to being wrong.

I don't see a human being paying $10,000 for this in my lifetime....that is 100 Hundred Dollar Bills. I am thinking that if you put this name behind door A and $10,000 behind door B that 100 percent of the people playing the game would hope and pray they got the cash. Do you think there is anyone on this board right now who could choose between $5,000 in cash and this name would take the name? I think not. I think the number is way lower than that before people would chose the name, and I think that the number is very very low before you would get over 50 percent of the domainers to choose the name over cash in hand......hundred dollar bills.

A good appraisal is one you would back up with your own cash. That is why paid appraisals at well-known domain companies are horseshit and very close to fraud. If anyone would truly pay 10K, or choose this name over 10K if they had the choice, then that means I am wrong, but I think I am right.

It is still a decent name.

Last edited:

DC20

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Only needing one buyer, not a game show audience, I think it may well be able to get low $XX,XXX from the right buyer. ....things to do on your idle time (online games, etc.). Or...actually...a car, tuning, or hot rod site. It would be great for either. Not having any use for it whatsoever, I would have to give serious thought to it at 5k (as you say, back it with your own money), but that is only because I think it could be sold for 10k+ in time.

My $0.02,
DC20

Last edited:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Car tuning, I didn't think of that. Thank you. :)

With that being said, there are very few, if any, common English word LLLL.coms selling for less than $10k. I haven't seen many I believe.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reseller around low to mid x,xxx range. But for end users, may be xx,xxx.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the reseller pricing is closer to low $x,xxx than mid $x,xxx. $10k is definitely not reseller range. On the other hand it's really brandable, would loved to see it developed to something similar as http://www.idlethumbs.net/ .

edit: Compete shows some traffic on the name, how much does it get? Have you tried to monetize it?

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the reseller pricing is closer to low $x,xxx than mid $x,xxx. $10k is definitely not reseller range. On the other hand it's really brandable, would loved to see it developed to something similar as http://www.idlethumbs.net/ .

edit: Compete shows some traffic on the name, how much does it get? Have you tried to monetize it?

I had it a few days at Sedo and it received around 60-70 uniques per day.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice pick up:)

Reseller mid to high $XXXX
End user 5 figs.

Last edited:

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You just won this domain from Latonas auction recently?

Regards,
EM @ KING.NET

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe a different domain.
Cheers,
EM

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just because idle is a dictionary word doesn't mean you're confined to using it that way, does it? There are all kinds of combinations these letters suggest that an end user might be interested in it, with the added value of the whole being easily memorable and brandable because of its being a real word. Possibly useful examples in this case include:

I = Internet, India, information, international, island, independent, interactive, interest

ID = Idaho, Indonesia, identification, interior design, industrial design

LE = Lebanon, limited edition, law enforcement, link exchange, leading edge

IDL = International Driving License

E = Email, East, enterprise, energy, extra, European (or euro), excellence

DLE = data link escape, Discoid Lupus Erythematosus or Disseminated Lupus Erythematosus (the medical condition more commonly known simply as Lupus), dry low emission, digital local exchange, drug laboratory effect, detailed ledger entry

IDLE = Internet distance learning and education

There are many websites where you can find recognised suggestions for initials, but I particularly like http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/.

F5Domains

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Without knowing more I can only give it low-mid XXX.

I half took your reply to the thread starter seriously until your "evaluation". This domain would probably pull low-mid $xxx if it was in .net

Also, as to your second example, I would more than happily take this name instead of $5,000 free right here right now if offered to me because I know I could flip it for $10k. :)

OP: This domain is worth five figures, and you probably wouldn't need to wait long to see an offer in that range if you actively marketed it.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you guys would pay 10K for the name then that is what it's worth. I have a hard time believing that you would actually pick up this name instead of 10K if both were right in front of you. It is automatically confusing if you heard it pronounced, as many would think Idol. If they actually though it was the idle of laziness then that makes it a weak word, and if it is the car idle, then it just doesn't make sense for a site.

For you to pay 10K for this name means that you would throw around 50K or more for names that have a more punch and make more sense, but aren't great names. I have news for you.......if you pay 10K for names like this you have no room for error and you will lose money in the long run.

To spend 10K on a name you need to be able to make a lot of money with it, or have the possibility for a nice payday if you sell it. There really isn't any upside when you buy a name for maximum value. These appraisals seem like all-time best case scenarios, to me.

Last edited:

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is automatically confusing if you heard it pronounced, as many would think Idol.

Um, unless you are a complete dumbass you aren't going to confuse this with Idol.

If I have problems with my car idling and someone tells me to go to idle.com to help troubleshoot it, I'm not thinking IDOL unless I have zero understanding of English.

This domain is best used and marketed for automobiles and the auto industry.

Google Stats:

idle.com - 8,100 broad monthly searches
idle.com - 210 exact monthly searches

idle - 90,000+ exact searches @ .71 cents CPC
idle - 2,240,000 broad searches

So if I wanted to run an advertsing campaign for one month on this term. I'd better have $60k+ in advertsing budget per month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators