Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

IDNs...Where You Stand on These?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. have been active in idn since mid 2004, have about 60 idn's
2. obviously names with potential are easily identified through overture and google results and in this case also translation engines and opinions from peers speaking the language is important in deciphering good names.
Don't tell me "normal" names are always clearcut from a linguistic point of view ?
3. MS alone does not determine anything, IE7's market share is stagnating and a failure to implement IDN will be devastating for the Asian market share of IE, if IE fails in coping with IDN, firefox will use that for it's own benefit.
It's not only about traffic but also about exposure, the launch of IE7 will in any case bring about a general interest in it's innovations, one of the most noticable being IDN-support.
4. there is still no retail market and there is not enough confidence in the general community and even in the IDN community to spend considerable amounts on keywords for resale.
5. the overture tools, national search engines likes baidu for china or rambler for russia, the usual search engines, various translation engines, opinions from foreign peers, you name it.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I registered just shy of 300 Japanese-language IDNs in the last 48 hours. Why? Because they're really solid generics (internet cafe, gum, Halloween, cocktail, bonds, teddy bear etc.), and because it's so cheap to get a head start that I won't cry if the concept never takes off.

This little registration spree represents virtually all my IDNs as I had less than a dozen before that.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I figured, if they take off then I have some good names that will in total certainly amount to a lot of money, if they don't I lose some but not much.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
sssh, secret squirrel :bandit:

Edwin said:
Why? Because they're really solid generics (internet cafe, gum, Halloween, cocktail, bonds, teddy bear etc.), and because it's so cheap to get a head start that I won't cry if the concept never takes off.

This is almost bitter-sweet. I think I need a moment. *sniffs*

Congrats you two on your public "outing". And good luck in your recent chosen niches. As we maybe competing, we are still working together on this.

***I have been getting several pm's from members here about idns and questions, please feel free to drop me a line anytime.

richard

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think that IDN will probably have several
challenges along the way, but there can
be little doubt that the reason IDN will
prevail is because it is based on a very
sound and fundamental need; i.e. helping
to bring the internet to the wider world.

Good luck to all the IDN speculators out
there - I hope you all chose well.

Richard

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quick update - now have about 450 Japanese IDNs, but they are going very fast... there's a very definite visible spike in uptake.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Redux:

Now that IDN have been 'legitimized' by the #3 sale at DNJournal and the addition of an IDN discussion thread on this forum, where do you stand now?

I'll go out-on-a-limb and predict that DNJournal will have an IDN on its weekly top 10 list >20 more times this year.

dillpupp

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
rawkinrich said:
I'd like to see more European IDN sales propping up.

I'm sure we will,I've been monitoring some of the best IDN's at Sedo and some have 15-30 bids.We've seen exclusively European IDN sales thus far,there have been probably 150+ smallish ($XXX-low $XXXX) sales in the last year.They get alot of traffic because it's so natural to type the accented letter right there on the keyboard and spell "niños" properly.
It's a lot bigger jump for Asia to go from typing Latin letters to 中国/日本語,but it will happen too.IE7 can't come soon enough.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the IDN's be successful. Sounds like this can only help extend the internet, connect countries and knock down language barriers. Good luck to you who invested. Sounds like many did their homework.

When I read the occasional naysayer post I just smile. You put in the work and if IDN takes off, you will have made a worthy investment.

Much like DryHeat, I'm intrigued, but don't have the time to invest in proper research. But, will be monitoring IDN in months ahead.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
where are you guys finding IDN names on sedo

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do not have any IDN as basically I understand very little about them.

Did however consider they may have a future and regged:

BackorderIDN(s).com :rolleyes:

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DryHeat - - Wish you all the best, but I won't be participating in IDNs.

For me it comes down to opportunity risk, meaning the risk I see in the IDNs versus say the .US market is too high. I know you're a big fan of the .US extension as well, so I don't have to tell you that there are still some 60% of the US small business market that is yet to participate in any significant Web marketing. Generic .coms for these small businesses will be out of reach, so the move will be toward .US. That presents a better picture for me than the IDNs.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
moved from news

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:

For me it comes down to opportunity risk, meaning the risk I see in the IDNs versus say the .US market is too high. I know you're a big fan of the .US extension as well, so I don't have to tell you that there are still some 60% of the US small business market that is yet to participate in any significant Web marketing. Generic .coms for these small businesses will be out of reach, so the move will be toward .US. That presents a better picture for me than the IDNs.
idn .com's and .cn .jp's will sell for more than .us come on... ppl in other countries would love typing out urls in their native language.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This whole IDN thing is real simple...giving people around the world the access to the Internet in their own native language. At lease 85% of the world doesn't speak English...and with all the different scripts, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Thai, Hindi, Greek, and 100's of others, how will people that speak NO English be expected to remember a TLD if its not in "their" language.

If you are a business in Russia, or have a service wouldn't you want that to be in that language so people understand it.

Imagine if every domain in America was in a script that we couldn't read and we had to translate it first to understand what it says? How effective would the internet be? That is why IDN's will take off when IE-7 supports them. EXAMPLE: картароссии.com (map of Russia) Imagine EVERY domain name being in a script you don't understand and a language you can't read. That's why IDN's were created! Not for you and me...but for the rest of the non-English speaking world.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:

Why not do both with the emphasize on .us ?

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another IDN sold last night on EBAY for $ 3,827.77
IDN Name: xn--c-6tb.com (сc.com)

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, I have a question. I've given some thought to this as well. I own very few IDN's but here is my question. Do you go for the .com IDN or do you go for the cctld IDN? Typically the .com IDN is cheaper but maybe not as valuable? Your thoughts.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
So, I have a question. I've given some thought to this as well. I own very few IDN's but here is my question. Do you go for the .com IDN or do you go for the cctld IDN? Typically the .com IDN is cheaper but maybe not as valuable? Your thoughts.
I've seen alot of popular sites use both .com or .cn . jp

i think they all have equal weight with maybe the country specific ones with a lil heavier weight due to national pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom