Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Imposed Time Limits on "wanted" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Honestly, there has to be a stop to it somewhere.

I am seeing some threads several months old and even years old that are being kickstarted back to life with someone posting, "If you're still interested, I have...".

Most of all, rarely do we see the OP coming back into their own thread to provide an update status.

And, rarely do we see the OP buying a domain from another member posting.

Regardless, I personally believe that there needs to be an auto-closed time limit placed on these threads just to clear them off the "today's posts". The worst ones are the ones that the OP starts and never shows up again in their own thread.

I, and a few others reading this, are convinced that some of these wanted threads are merely "ideas wanted" for regging looks-like, sounds-like names being suggested by the members.

Each "wanted" thread should have an auto-locked placed on it after something like 7 or 10 days. After that time, the thread is locked. And, in the rare event the OP is still looking, then they can take the time to come back onto the forum and start a new thread.

But these "looking for" perpetual threads are nauseating. And for the member that started the thread never to return to the thread (or forum) for weeks or months is just plain classless.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Case in point:

http://www.dnforum.com/f156/shemale-tranny-ladyboys-premium-names-wanted-thread-420215.html

Thread is four months old, OP has never come back into the thread to provide updates or respond, and today another member posts in this 4 month old thread.

Seriously, wanted threads should have a time limit specified, auto-close just like restrictions (details) were added for all auctions on the forum.

Criteria needs to be established rather than perpetual threads that live beyond infinity.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

AND another example...

http://www.dnforum.com/f48/laptopreviews-com-thread-424805.html

The OP has never responded to questions asked in this thread not to mention members seemingly submitting offers. The OP does not even have the decency to update the thread since the day it was posted, nearly 2 months ago. Now, today, another member adds to a two month old thread.

EdGuy007

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
+1

Honestly, there has to be a stop to it somewhere.

I am seeing some threads several months old and even years old that are being kickstarted back to life with someone posting, "If you're still interested, I have...".

Most of all, rarely do we see the OP coming back into their own thread to provide an update status.

And, rarely do we see the OP buying a domain from another member posting.

Regardless, I personally believe that there needs to be an auto-closed time limit placed on these threads just to clear them off the "today's posts". The worst ones are the ones that the OP starts and never shows up again in their own thread.

I, and a few others reading this, are convinced that some of these wanted threads are merely "ideas wanted" for regging looks-like, sounds-like names being suggested by the members.

Each "wanted" thread should have an auto-locked placed on it after something like 7 or 10 days. After that time, the thread is locked. And, in the rare event the OP is still looking, then they can take the time to come back onto the forum and start a new thread.

But these "looking for" perpetual threads are nauseating. And for the member that started the thread never to return to the thread (or forum) for weeks or months is just plain classless.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe it could be that if at anytime the OP doesn't respond in thread for 7 days (or whatever is decided) then the thread is closed.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the idea. There needs to be a time limit on quite a few categories.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We have a 15-day rules but we can't be everywhere.
Feel free to report if you see one.

http://www.dnforum.com/f16/read-rules-section-thread-432768.html

Thanks,
J
If it is done as built into the forum, can it not be done automatically?

Obviously, the "15 Day Rule" is not working and has never worked if we are seeing threads 4 years old coming back to life.

I think it is unprofessional for an OP to start a thread and never return to the thread to provide updates.

There must be a way to automatically add a time limit (stamp) to the thread to close it. If the OP is still looking for a name, then they need to start a new thread.

Aleksandar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no hack for this one.

Did you already tried this and found any incompatibility issues or something else?

Your requirement:

OP must reply to the thread within 15 days from the original post or the thread will be closed.

The solution:

This product will automatically close threads. Administrators have the option of setting the number of days until a thread closes, including or excluding sticky threads, and including or excluding forums by ID.

Threads can be closed X days after the thread was created or X days after the last post.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130738

Aleksandar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The issue with that plugin - it's not compatible with the version of VB that this forum runs (I think this forum is on 4.something - that is for 3.6.2). :disappointed:

Some guys managed to pull it off on a "4.something" versions, jump to the last page of the thread.

It might be worth testing it on a copy of this version.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some guys managed to pull it off on a "4.something" versions, jump to the last page of the thread.

It might be worth testing it on a copy of this version.
I agree, it is worth a try to implement this into this version.

The opposite to this is:

Someone reading the rules before posting (what are the odds of that?)
A member reporting the thread after 15 days (and members are going to monitor this?)
Having a mod close the thread.

Now, all the the options above can be easily accomplished with a simply system change to do it automatically.

There is no reason NOT to attempt to implement this option pointed out by Aleksander.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We have a 15-day rules but we can't be everywhere.
Feel free to report if you see one.

http://www.dnforum.com/f16/read-rules-section-thread-432768.html

Thanks,
J

no slight on you personally johnn and sure members can report the threads.

but didn't the forum hire two additional mods?

also, when i was modding, as a routine practice i would scan that section and at least close threads that were 3,4 and 5 pages back down the que.

that only takes 10 > 15 minutes at best.

and i was doing that before i was geting paid to mod

imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators