Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Indiana - sold - $50k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:

I use whois.sc, but to view the whois history, it's $150/year. Plus, their history only goes back to 2001. I don't see the value there, versus the expense. If I had some $50,000 dollar domains, maybe. But my stuff is buy/hold/develop and build my own value for the most part.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, well thats the one I can tell you about.
That's the one I know off the top of my head.

You did say you didn't know of any though..

But, yea... I didn't realize I was logged in, either...

"Please enter a domain you want History for and then click on the Whois History link."

Anyway, I dont think this is the thread for this conversation.

I'm happy for --DCG--

BTW, any update on that RSS we spoke about, A?

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
"Good going Roger"?? If it was up to Roger alone he would have never "settle" this, as the last six months proved that fact over and over again. Roger was finally forced to "do good" after realizing that constant and everincreasing domainer bashing will finally catch up with his Co. and ultimately cost him more.

A lesson to be learned for sure.

You have to be fair with Roger. He has no obligation to settle this at all. It's both parties' fault. He could walk away like many other companies. Imagine if you're dealing with NetSol, Pool, etc. Also, everyone makes mistake. It's how your correct it that counts.

I'm happy for both.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.biz said:
You have to be fair with Roger. He has no obligation to settle this at all. It's both parties' fault. He could walk away like many other companies. Imagine if you're dealing with NetSol, Pool, etc. Also, everyone makes mistake. It's how your correct it that counts.

I'm happy for both.

Biz, I totally agree with you.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm..

I just read the 9 pages here.

My impression is that criminal charges should have been filed...against Afternic. I would have stuck a team of lawyers after them.

The lesson I learn is to NEVER use an escrow service like afternic..whats the point if they cant assure me of a secure transaction. Isnt that the point of using one of these guys? For $5000 you could hire a lawyer to do that. I suggest you get a lawyer anyways. I got a lawyer and its awesome to call him on every little problem I get. He resolves them like a king. It's like having Tony Soprano as my right arm guy. He truely assassinates any problems I get.

I am sure Roger was crapping some bricks after this happened and he was deathly afraid of liability. I would have demanded a full refund. The fact that they gave you a stolen domain and then charged you!!! Cmon thats insane. Its funny to listen to Roger talk about buying a car and due diligence on the process yet he won't practice that when trading names. What does his 10% fee get the client?

Well if DCG is happy then cool but I for one am displeased he didnt sue the pants of Roger.

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Escrow service protects your money until you acknowledge receipt of the property being purchased. That's why we/they only charge around 3% of the transaction to do that service by itself. If they were insuring the property being transferred, they'd have to charge a lot more. That is the simple economics of the business, and the risks and service levels are all spelled out in our/their service agreements. If you don't want/need that particular kind of protection, you are right not to use an escrow service.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not so sure they need to INSURE the transfer as much as make certain guarantees. Such as refunding payment when a transfer goes south. The fact that he had to wait all that time to get something settled is dumb. They should have given the 5k back immediately. Also like ebay or other services that dont deal with the product...they make it very clear what to do if you are ripped off or part of some fraud. Afternic was totally clueless on what to do and how to handle this. They should have warnings and help for users about getting scammed. There could also be better tools for verifying ownership. They could have done more in my eyes. And from this very BIG problem I dont think they are doing anything better. When you make a mistake you should learn a lesson from it. Afternic is not contrite and I dont see what new measures have been placed to prevent this in the future. I bet they changed their TOS to make them less liable though...but what about the users?

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Basically, Afternic offers to ensure that a buyers money is held until they receive a domain in their registrar's account. As learned in this thread, they cannot "insure" against dishonesty in the process either before the listing, or after the transfer, as is what happened here. In real estate, you have title insurance for that purpose. A comparable product apparently doesn't exist for "virtual real estate."

For a legitimate seller, they offer a supermarket style domain name classifieds, as well as a guarantee that if you follow their process, you will get paid from their certified escrow.

It seems that the Afternic process is still good for sellers, but as always, it's "Buyer Beware!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom