Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Indiana - sold - $50k

Status
Not open for further replies.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
EDIT - SE Indexing

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Realnames, Truthfully, both Roger and I have been honest about the facts. There is nothing being hidden. -=DCG=-

How do you know Roger does not know more or there is not more involved to the story since you and he have not been communicating much at all and had poor relations according to the obvious issues, large sum of money lost, and all the negative posts?

DCG seemingly backing-up or even defending Roger above in an odd twist, and the fact no criminal charges have ever been filed by either one of you after 6-mos makes this even more odd.

The fact you two appear to have little desire to pursue this with the Authorities is incredibly odd, IMO. If The Royal Canadian Mounted Police do not have a Fraud Division (which I doubt) I would certainly travel the short distance to the U.S. and file criminal charges in person with the FBI.

Personally, I would have done that immidiately, with no hesitation, and followed up the complaint constantly for such a large sum of money. This will be my past post on this odd situation.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok Good News!

Roger and I have come to an agreement and i am satisfied with this now.

I have agreed not to discuss the terms of the agreement but I can tell you Roger stepped up and did what was right.

Thanks to everyone that voiced their concern.

-=DCG=-

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear that, and kudo to both parties! :)

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Ok Good News!

I have agreed not to discuss the terms of the agreement but I can tell you Roger stepped up and did what was right.

-=DCG=-
Adam and Roger, I can only say that it is a tremendous relief that this has been settled. Despite the discomfort and awkwardness of it all, you have demonstrated to everyone how two important players in this industry CAN work out a dispute WITHOUT going to court or filing charges!

I am very happy and very proud of both of you! Despite the painful pathway to get here, you have provided a good example for the rest of us.

Congratulations!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Ok Good News!

-=DCG=-

Cool! That's good news for the community in general! Good going Roger.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
Cool! That's good news for the community in general! Good going Roger.

"Good going Roger"?? If it was up to Roger alone he would have never "settle" this, as the last six months proved that fact over and over again. Roger was finally forced to "do good" after realizing that constant and everincreasing domainer bashing will finally catch up with his Co. and ultimately cost him more.

A lesson to be learned for sure.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's been edited since I posted that.
It was the famous Afternic going going gone thread.
Earlier today, I had mentioned that he owes Adam money, and that his continued use of Adam's board to promote his services, is milking the cow.
Then he posted that he would stop if the moderators, or DCG, asked him to.
Then I saw DCG's post elsewhere that they made a deal just after the words between us, so I posted amends that I was happy to see that he did the right thing today. No harsh words were posted between us, but there was one post before mine that was a little harsher than mine, maybe some foul language in it, etc.

I appreciate everything this forum has done for me, so I was sticking up for Adam, getting his back as you might say.

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad it's been worked out!

For the future, what kind of consumer protections can be built into the process? It seems like sellers can get screwed by buyers who don't use an Escrow service because the buyer can charge back his Paypal account. Buyers can get screwed when a stolen domain is paid for, even with an Escrow company in the middle. We can't always deal with people we know. What is the best advice to protect ourselves?

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Ok Good News!

-=DCG=-

Yup thats good news.

P.S - from now on be more careful :)

DomainQuay

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great news - Congrats to you both!!!

Joni

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For the future, what kind of consumer protections can be built into the process? It seems like sellers can get screwed by buyers who don't use an Escrow service because the buyer can charge back his Paypal account. Buyers can get screwed when a stolen domain is paid for, even with an Escrow company in the middle. We can't always deal with people we know. What is the best advice to protect ourselves?

First of all, you should read the terms of service VERY carefully. It is readily apparent from this thread that people who should know better do not know what is, and is not, provided at various websites as part of the agreed upon services. That is true for any commercial website.

Secondly, as already discussed in this thread, there are tools for checking out the history of a domain name.

Third, apply some basic common sense. Let's say you look at, for example, the archive.org history of a domain name example.com, and you see that it has been pointing at the home page of Example Industries in Oklahoma for the better part of a decade prior to a few months ago. Then, you look at the whois data, and the registrant has a yahoo email address, a non-functional telephone number, an address in Azerbaijan, and the originating-IP of their emails to you come via an anonymous proxy or a server in Latvia. Do you think any of that might inspire you to ask a few questions?

Fourth, you could consider things like a time-structured transfer agreement, in which a neutral party holds the domain name for a period of time during which installment payments are made for the domain. You might consider a transfer agreement with an adequate indemnification clause There is an infinite variety of ways to structure a transaction to provide the parties with whatever protections they believe are appropriate.

But the most important thing is to use common sense. There are a lot of stolen domain names running around, and I often see people engaging in what amounts to fencing them out of willful ignorance tempered by greed.

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Secondly, as already discussed in this thread, there are tools for checking out the history of a domain name.

All good points.

I use Archive.org, and check the whois records. But, one thing I've never found is a WHOIS history? Does such a service exist, similar to archive.org history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom