Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.info LL2 a farce!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has been observed in ICANN.ORG forums that the upcoming LL2 proceedings for the rereleased .info will turn out to be nothing more than an insider job because of closed, short queues and the prevalence of rogue registrars that are going this way.

Afilias states publicly that this will be a fair system for everyone. It is blatently clear that this will not. What do you think are your chances of getting anything of worth out of the 17,000+ names on offer?

Domain summit 2024

Marty

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.Info , .Biz or whatever LL is nerver fair to the small guy. Lottery would be the best, but then many federal laws would be broken and we would have a new LL over again. The system is not perfect.

T

Tee

Like in anything, your chances are good if you try really hard.

Marty

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, money talks .... walks

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but hasn't always been, Tee? Remember the almost a year of hard work of investigations and thousands of dollars committed that we put in preparation for the original dot info LL? I'm glad that is over, as I was lucky to get a 100% swipe rate on my industry set.

Domain speculation has turned very advanced and competitive today, good for the ocassional thrill but very bad if it is a must have name.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, verynice.com :D

So you guys really think that 17000 names are going to go to one or two registrars with short lists?

Have you even read the way the queue will be processed at the Afilias website?

It's not a land grab, it's a randomised round-robin queue at the registry from a list of names submitted in advance by each registrar.

This looks to be like the cleanest LandRush process of them all to date.

-t

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt

It's not a land grab, it's a randomised round-robin queue at the registry from a list of names submitted in advance by each registrar.

Randomised sounds fair, but is it? The unfairness of the closed list/short queue game was spotted a long time ago, protests were sent to Afilias and ICANN, to deaf ears.

The best solution for REAL randomisation is to collect all the applications from all registratrars and throw them all into one mixing pot, irregardless of queue. That way, no one can benefit from short queues.

Go watch the flash presentation at the link below.

http://www.lr2.info

Some of us have been following this fiasco unfold for over a year now, so I guess we know what we are talking about.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The first and only dot-info domain I have actually seen put to (quasi) commercial use and which made good sense is the NYC Transit's "mta.info" which replaced a governmental domain with way too many characters and way too many dots that no one in his or her right mind could or would ever remember.

Most everything without a dot-com is just that: without a dot-com.

--dod

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many of the very best .info names are still locked because of tm fraud - thus the upcoming LL2.

Top names like media.info are still hanging in space with Yesnic, and massive collections of prime names with domain speculators.

My predictions are it will take at least another year before you really start to see .info seep into the internet addressing fabric. 2 years before .info becomes mainstream.

Check out sotd.info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators