Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all you seasoned dnforum vets :)

its about my cat... nah just kidding :)

If i spot an unregistered .info domain but someone has the .com and .co.uk what kind of legal standpoint would it put me in if i regged it?

it is not a specific brand and just relates to music in general...

can anyone help me out with what i should check to ensure i remain on the right side of the law???

thanks in advance

Ciqala

Domain summit 2024

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way - .Info is just as "valuable" as .Biz ;)

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
having just dipped my toes into the water so to speak can you elaborate as i think i get you're point but i would like to make sure.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciqala
I have a question for all you seasoned dnforum vets :)

If i spot an unregistered .info domain but someone has the .com and .co.uk what kind of legal standpoint would it put me in if i regged it?

can anyone help me out with what i should check to ensure i remain on the right side of the law???

thanks in advance

Ciqala

To the best of my knowledge, there are two reasons why you should be able to register an open, non-trademarked .INFO name without concern that someone with the .COM version can take it away (e.g. in UDRP).

First, the whole purpose of the new extensions was to expand namespace opportunities. If anyone with ####.COM has a right to ####.INFO, then this defeats the whole purpose of the new extensions.

Second, neither the .INFO Sunrise provisions nor, to my knowledge, the UDRP rules, give any special rights to the registrant of ####.COM over the domain ####.INFO. Some folks tried to use this as a justification in the .INFO Sunrise, but it was clearly an abuse.

I think the prior comment was saying that you *could* register the .INFO name, but that person thinks that an .INFO name is not very worthwhile. Some folks would agree with that, others would not.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply... that was the same kind of thing i was thinking but just had to make sure...

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComster
Let me put it this way - .Info is just as "valuable" as .Biz ;)

It depends on the application:D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciqala

Check USPTO for possible trademarks on the name. If you think your position is unsure, show good faith by developing the name.

If you are buying this name to try to sell to the .com and .co.uk name owners in the future, try to play it cool by not harrassing them with cold calls and emails. If they want the name, they will come to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators