Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Is domain name less popular now due to rise of Social Media(more engagement)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainchampion

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had this thought and thinking maybe I could get some opinion from you.
Back in those days, people had only domain to search for.
However, now with the rise of Social Media, is the traffic to domain become lesser?
Domain dont have engagement but Soc Med has. People want to hear real reviews from real users, for trust.
Could all this be it will be downtrend on domain interest?

I'm still new in this industry but im learning. My concern is what going to happend for domain interest.

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
Social media is vastly overrated and (in most cases) not cost effective. We are seeing a decline in usage which is inevitable as more people realize quite what a waste of time it is. It will only get worse with regards to cost ratio to actual production. It suits middle management and second layer companies as they generally have no skills of their own - the goose will stop laying them golden eggs in the next few years in my opinion. Natural traffic will always far outweigh 'flash-in-the-pan' paid for traffic.
If your domain is perfectly suited to the topic, is not spammy, and produces the correct information then it will rank.

Last edited:

domainchampion

Reaction score
Social media is vastly overrated and (in most cases) not cost effective. We are seeing a decline in usage which is inevitable as more people realize quite what a waste of time it is. It will only get worse with regards to cost ratio to actual production. It suits middle management and second layer companies as they generally have no skills of their own - the goose will stop laying them golden eggs in the next few years in my opinion. Natural traffic will always far outweigh 'flash-in-the-pan' paid for traffic.
If your domain is perfectly suited to the topic, is not spammy, and produces the correct information then it will rank.

Thanks. Glad to hear it :)

Reaction score
I didn't explain myself too well though. Yes a domain can benefit from paid results but in my experience *only* if it has the kind of content that will keep people engaged anyway. A lot of poor domains rely on 'one hit' traffic which costs money every time - these campaigns almost always result in a loss. I understand facebook traffic has become overpriced and underpar. So I'm actually contradicting your original post when you said '...now with the rise of Social Media...' when there are plenty of news stories to say that social media is actually declining.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

I think popularity of and usage of domain names is increasing

years ago, when FB came on the scene,
many were questioning whether people would shun buying domains and building websites, if they could get their own page on facebook.

but as you can see, the domain market has survived the social media frenzy and will continue to do so in the future.

imo...

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Social media is a centralized system that drives traffic to their preferred sites and offers. An example is how Google has created its own services to compete with the very listings that it is supposed to drive traffic at. Yes, you can create social media accounts and drive traffic still, but that is also subject to being censored, and you can lose your entire income because of a few posts that the central authority does not like. So if your content is edgy, it is better to own the platform that it is going to be viewed at. Thats why domain names are valuable, to create your own content, on your own terms.

Aman bhomrah

Level 1
Reaction score
Domain names are still very popular, social media is a good patform to get traffic and after getting that, provide some info on your social media and after doing this you should trasfer them to your domain name for whole information and you can get more traffic on your website.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, quality domain names and websites that are authoritative have better conversion rates than social media or search.

The rise of social media has increased the value of good quality domains, but probably contributes to devaluing further poor quality domains.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Today is the content driven market and data is the new oil. Social media is addictive as it keep showing new data from multiple sources about anything to everything with data points changing as per the cookies of various ads and monetizing programs .

Two sides to it - a good website will sustain and sites with no value to the base will struggle. Technology and data is the key. Social media helps a lot bringing repeated organic traffic .

Domain will only work as what is it today , nothing has changed much negatively, intact positive side is the people adaptability to multiple extensions and familiarity

Scott

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain names are still IMO important for many who have graduated from the Facebook neighborhood. I like the idea of leveraging social media to market domains that are newly listed for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators